PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 12 speed quality issues?

EB
09-25-2020, 12:03 PM
I was lucky enough to get very early access to Shimano's 12 speed XTR group when Shimano was having supply problems and it was very hard to get. It's the best mechanical shifting I've ever experienced - try shifting it under heavy load and you'll see what I mean.

However, I've had persistent quality issues with these parts, and have heard chatter from some mechanics on this, and now I'm wondering if something is up. Normally Shimano is rock solid, but my experience so far:

- One shifter pod warrantied after about 8 months of use when the downshift lever stopped shifting - no shop could fix it, blowing WD40 inside the shifter didn't address it
- The shifter issue just happened again yesterday to the replacement shifter at about the six month mark, and now my mountain bike currently can't downshift.
- One XT superboost hub that made intermittent, obnoxious grinding noises while pedaling straight from the factory. Swapping out for a different model hub with the same drivetrain removed the issue.
- One brand new XT rear derailleur on my wife's hardtail whose clutch seized up after 3 rides - fortunately this was serviceable.
- One 4 piston rear brake whose pistons completely ruptured and failed during a routine bleed and had to be warrantied.

Anecdotally, have heard of one local rider who has had 3 12 speed XT shifters warrantied with the same issue that I'm experiencing.

Anyone else?

Velocipede
09-25-2020, 12:24 PM
Yep. Heard and had the same from the XT and XTR kits I've had. Hubs have been a big problem.

Mikej
09-26-2020, 08:15 AM
Yeah, Shimano isn’t what it used to be. I have had the 9000 XTR since introduced and I’ve worn out an unusual amount of cassettes, rear mechs, and shifters.

Veloo
09-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Wow, interesting...

Has the mighty fallen?

Yeah, Shimano isn’t what it used to be. I have had the 9000 XTR since introduced and I’ve worn out an unusual amount of cassettes, rear mechs, and shifters.

oldpotatoe
09-26-2020, 08:36 AM
Yep. Heard and had the same from the XT and XTR kits I've had. Hubs have been a big problem.

I'm SURE this is the beginning of the end for shimano..I heard that they are going to be bought by Campagnolo....

--->>:)

Velocipede
09-26-2020, 09:43 AM
I'm SURE this is the beginning of the end for shimano..I heard that they are going to be bought by Campagnolo....

LOL!!!!! Freaking brilliant reply!

thirdgenbird
09-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Han anyone tried the TRP kit? If I built a mtb today, I would be tempted to use:
TRP shifter and derailleur
Magura brakes
Praxis crank
Fulcrum wheels

John H.
09-26-2020, 10:50 AM
I have been on the group since it became available. 1st on my hardtail, a year later on a full suspension bike.
Still on all the original gear on my hardtail- On 3rd shifter pod on my full sus.

tylercheung
09-26-2020, 01:22 PM
I kinda wonder if this has anything to do w the factory fire a year ago...

Then again also wondering how great anything that spends on supply chain manufacturing is in 2020...

charliedid
09-26-2020, 01:35 PM

They're fine, they sell a lot of fishing gear.

ariw
09-26-2020, 02:19 PM
I have 2x12 XT on my Ripley and love it, 0 issues with a Hunt wheelset. The only change I want to make is to swap 175 cranks for 170, too many pedal strikes.

Ari

Velocipede
09-26-2020, 02:38 PM
I kinda wonder if this has anything to do w the factory fire a year ago...

Then again also wondering how great anything that spends on supply chain manufacturing is in 2020...

The fire they had was related to an anodizing plant. Not sure how that would affect actual manufacturing or shifting, hubs, whatever.

EB
09-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Third shifter pod, yep - just ordered number 3 from backcountry for me as estimated warranty time was November (!).

Every store I called looking for a local part were out of stock, as they’ve had a steady stream of them needing replacement.

I guess I will warranty the broken one anyway so I have a backup for when the new one goes. And maybe it’s time to start thinking about AXS eagle...

tele
09-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Havent heard about the shifter issues but the rd clutch spring was shipped without any real grease and I know I among many others have had to pull the dust cover off and add some grease. Pretty easy fix but unusual for Shimano to have this many issues.

Now on a bike with XO1 and man do I miss the XT shifting.

John H.
09-26-2020, 04:29 PM
My last one broke about 3 weeks ago. When I called Shimano for warranty they sent me an SLX to use until the XTR is back in stock.
So good on Shimano fo this.
The tech on the phone even said "I need to get you a shifter, this is the best time to ride in NorCal"!

Third shifter pod, yep - just ordered number 3 from backcountry for me as estimated warranty time was November (!).

Every store I called looking for a local part were out of stock, as they’ve had a steady stream of them needing replacement.

I guess I will warranty the broken one anyway so I have a backup for when the new one goes. And maybe it’s time to start thinking about AXS eagle...

Mikej
09-27-2020, 07:30 AM
Oh and xtr pedals have not been kind to me either. Slop and bearing problems. Then there is the whole busted crank arm problem in another. thread. Maybe they just overextended themselves with buying other companies-

oldpotatoe
09-27-2020, 07:32 AM
They're fine, they sell a lot of fishing gear.

-->>:)

Neves
09-27-2020, 02:26 PM
I am having a horrible issue with the XTR 4 piston brakes. Mind you I live in Ohio so we don't have long sustained downhills. I blew through a couple of corners at the beginning of my ride yesterday with them.

I need to look them over, but I'm also going to look for different pads.

avalonracing
09-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Shimano DuraAce 9-Speed was amazing. Just worked and you couldn't kill it. Just saying.

oldpotatoe
09-28-2020, 06:38 AM
Shimano DuraAce 9-Speed was amazing. Just worked and you couldn't kill it. Just saying.

So was XT and XTR 8s, 9s....:eek:

colker
09-28-2020, 12:41 PM

Shimano mtb cassettes never last long. Maybe 6sp do but 8sp don´t. Making it in 12sp exacerbates the problem i believe.

Velocipede
09-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Shimano mtb cassettes never last long. Maybe 6sp do but 8sp don´t. Making it in 12sp exacerbates the problem i believe.

I disagree. I've had great luck with Shimano cassettes. I have seen some broken but I've never had a problem. My 900(900, 950, 960) series cassettes have all last quite a while. But I also clean my bikes a lot.

FlashUNC
09-28-2020, 03:38 PM
A new and exciting thing for Thanks Shimano to add to their insta feed.