PDA

View Full Version : Rail Trail Bike Recommendation....

Ottrott
05-19-2004, 03:51 PM
OK, I've gotten her into bicycling. She started with an inexpensive mountain bike -- and then got her a Serotta Fierte Ti that she absolutely loves. Thing is she does like to ride some slightly bumpy rail trails that we have in the area. The Fierte Ti is outfitted with Ksyrium SSCs and is a dream on the real road, but she's thinking she'd like something a bit softer for the bumps and bounces of the rail trail.

What would folks recommend? She'd like something that can absorb a bit of the bumps without getting into a heavy bike. She got a hybrid Trek but it weighs a ton -- she likes light. Would a cyclocross bike be the strategy?

Ken

Ken Robb
05-19-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't think a cross bike would be very comfy as it would have short chainstays. Long chainstays are one way of softening the ride of a non-suspension bike. One of the Rivendell Atlantis frame/fork at $1300 with fat tires can be very cushy and stay in the 23-25 lb range. sizes under 58cm come with 26" wheels to keep the geometry in the range of good handling. A cheaper alternative would be tofind an old touring bike with long chainstays and clearance for fat tires. It gets rather crowded to do that on smaller frames with 27" or 700mm tires.

Too Tall
05-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Get a second set of wheels for the Serotta and a shock post...Gel Gloves and pearl earings and spds.

How big a tire will fit in that frame?

Silverthump
05-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Cyclocross bike would be perfect. I have Mtn Bike and since i got the cross I have not used the mtn bike. (also have Ottrott ST)
Second the idea of getting extra wheels and putting cross tires on it if they will fit. Michellin Jets at about 60-70 poounds and she will be in heaven on bike paths or rail trails.

djg
05-20-2004, 03:28 PM
The obvious first try is to go to bigger tires with lower pressure. Cross tires might be great but my guess is that most won't fit. Still, depending on the trails, she might find that some touring tires with lower pressure will do the trick (she could have these mounted on a second set of wheels if need be).

bcm119
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
If you'd like to stay pretty light, high quality, but not too expensive, look at the new Gunnar sport/road frames. Nicely made 853 bikes with clearance for 30c tires but without the high BB and slack HTA of a cross frame. The problem with cross frames for me is the sluggish feel of the geometry, and this solves that problem. Other more expensive options in this category are the IF Club Racer, and Hampsten makes a frame like this, I forget the model.

oldmill
05-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I find the cyclocross bike perfect for rails-trail riding. Have a look at the Lemond Poprad, another 853 frame that's a pretty good value and is surprisingly nimble.

sharky
05-21-2004, 05:25 AM
I agree with Too Tall -- suspension post like rock shox, wider tires and gel gloves. Makes a huge difference.

mfb1001
05-21-2004, 05:51 AM
Ottrott: I felt the same way your wife feels. My legend does great on the road, but I still would like to do the out of way trail, such as the Virginia Creeper. I commute now, using my legend, in a few weeks the Atlantis from Rivendell arives. That will make up the diff, you can put a 23 all the way up to a 52 on her. Will compliment the riding I can't do with the Legend. mike

Ottrott
05-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks Everyone!

She's really looking for comfort on the trail -- w/o getting into a mountain bike. The wider tires and shockpost would help -- now for the frame...

I read up a bit on the Rivendell Atlantis - sounds pretty nice though for the price one isn't too far away from getting a Waterford or the IF Racer ...

Is there a reason to rank one of these frames over another?

Todd Owen
05-21-2004, 10:05 AM
I saw that Excel sports in Boulder has the ALAN cross frame on closeout for $1100ish......very light. I also saw a merckx alu cross frame built up ....awesome looking. Pinarello also makes a cross bike along with surly which are less expensive. I think lemond also amakes a cross frame. what about a Serotta CIII in the cross geometry?

gdw
05-21-2004, 11:26 AM
If you're interested in a nice Reynolds 631 cross frame check out the Jamis Nova. Ben's Cycle and Fitness in Milwaukee (414-384-2274) has been offering them on Ebay in a variety of sizes. The Nova is more of a light tourer, steeper angles and lower bottom bracket, than a true cross frame and should be perfect for the type of riding your wife plans on doing. Cross season is over and Ben's doesn't seem to be selling many on Ebay so it might be a good time to call them and see what they have available.

Ray
05-21-2004, 12:58 PM
If you're interested in a nice Reynolds 631 cross frame check out the Jamis Nova. Ben's Cycle and Fitness in Milwaukee (414-384-2274) has been offering them on Ebay in a variety of sizes. The Nova is more of a light tourer, steeper angles and lower bottom bracket, than a true cross frame and should be perfect for the type of riding your wife plans on doing. Cross season is over and Ben's doesn't seem to be selling many on Ebay so it might be a good time to call them and see what they have available.

I have a Poprad, a friend has a Nova, several acquaintences have Cross checks. These bikes are great deals (around $1000 for a full bike - less if you find a closeout like the Novas referred to above) and are great for all but the most extreme off-road riding. I personally don't like bikes with really long chainstays for offroad riding. With somewhat shorter stays (say 42-43cm, as opposed to true touring type 45+cm stays), I feel like I can get my weight back and sort of let the front end float over the terrain - with longer stays, too much weight stays on the front wheel and it takes more hits. These bikes also feel a lot more nimble than a touring bike, but still more than stable enough for all-day riding. I've been seeing more and more of these on week long supported tours.

Don't EVER tell my wife, but if I had to own just one bike, this would probably be it.

I ride my Poprad on all sort of off-road conditions down to and including rail trails. I prefer it to the Riv all-rounder and Heron Touring I used to own (very similar to the Atlantis). It has a lower bottom bracket than the others. The Nova seems to have a somewhat steeper/quicker front end. The Crosscheck is a bit more relaxed all around with a high bottom bracket. Depending on your preferences, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

-Ray