PDA

View Full Version : Filing cleats for more fore-aft

ghammer
09-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Hello,

I recently purchased a fantastic pair of shoes that fits amazingly and is very good looking (sidi shot).

The *only* drawback is that the drilling setup doesn't allow for more movement on the cleats. I like to ride with the cleats closer to the center of the shoes, and i can only go so far.

Granted, this is not a big deal but a 99% fit is not a 100% fit (duh).

I was wondering if it's ok/safe to file the cleats' slots. It'd be a 2-3mm, i'd measure carefully so as not to take too much material. Has anyone ever done this? Were the results satisfactory?

Any info is welcome.

Thanks,

G

jkbrwn
09-24-2020, 11:29 AM
What about these?

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/?fbclid=IwAR1esZ46S2wmbcP6LevSLeIcWdeUD9DcHbqV8vHA yhMYuUXvLtRcm2BHpuU

You might not want mid-foot but it'll get you closer to where you need to be and not void your warranty.

ghammer
09-24-2020, 12:43 PM
this is what i was looking for. thanks so much.

loxx0050
09-24-2020, 01:35 PM
I'm assuming these are 3 bolt shoes? I've been able to get an extra couple of mm of adjustment range by filing the rather large button heads on Shimano SPD-SL bolts. Did so to get more aft on a pair of previous shoes I've tried.

Talking about these bolts:

https://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/900/SHI/SHI0495/ONECOL.jpg

According to my cheapo calipers the heads are just over 14mm diameter. The hex cavity is a tick over 4mm so you can probably safely remove 5mm around the outer diameter and still have enough head surface area to tighten them down. The ones I hand filed I removed around 2-3mm and it worked fine. Cleats were secure and never moved.

I did the material removable by hand and worked the heads against a file....it sucked. If I ever have to do it again I'd rig it up to be able to take my dremel tool with a grinding wheel to do the work instead.

ultraman6970
09-24-2020, 02:56 PM
Looks like great stuff.. hmm... angle adjustment... hmm....

What about these?

https://mid-foot-cycling.com/?fbclid=IwAR1esZ46S2wmbcP6LevSLeIcWdeUD9DcHbqV8vHA yhMYuUXvLtRcm2BHpuU

You might not want mid-foot but it'll get you closer to where you need to be and not void your warranty.

mjbrekke
09-24-2020, 03:56 PM
Looks like great stuff.. hmm... angle adjustment... hmm....

Details on the site say they come with "shoe-curvature-adapters".

They look great to me. I just ordered a set, too.

Spdntrxi
09-24-2020, 04:12 PM
hmmm... more toe overlap

ultraman6970
09-24-2020, 07:24 PM
Well some of us depending on the combination of shoe/cleat sometimes u cant get the angle of the cleat right. For example i pronate a lot and with keywin pedals and bont shoes I barely can make it work, actually even thinking into drill the 1st bolt tad off to get the cleat right. And this thing could actually work great, just adjust the hole and good to go.

Details on the site say they come with "shoe-curvature-adapters".

They look great to me. I just ordered a set, too.

jimoots
09-24-2020, 08:41 PM
I know it's scary but I'd drill/file the shoe before drilling/filing the cleat, and definitely drill the cleat or shoe before touching the bolt head.