PDA

View Full Version : OT: TV recomendation

trener1
09-23-2020, 02:00 PM
Anyone here a TV expert?.

My TV just stoped displaying picture the other day (is that even a thing?), Though it still has sound.

In any case I need a new one, these are a couple that I am looking at, is one much better the the other?.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-43-class-led-4k-uhd-smart-firetv-edition-tv/6398129.p?skuId=6398129

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-43-class-un7000-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6417302.p?skuId=6417302

Also thinking of going up to a 50 inch, will I notice much difference between a 43 and a 50, is it worth the extra money?.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/50-class-v-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-vizio-smartcast-tv/6416380.p?skuId=6416380

ridethecliche
09-23-2020, 02:01 PM
As long as it isn't what this guy had!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/uk/old-tv-breaks-broadband-village-scli-intl-gbr/

Ozz
09-23-2020, 02:06 PM
It sounds like your cat stepped on the remote and messed up the video input setting.....;)

The LG looks to have more installed streaming services if that is important.

trener1
09-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Ha, while that is certainly a possibility, I tried changing the input setting about 100 times and still no picture.

I dont think that the built in streaming matters much to me as I use a Apple TV anyhow (for zwift, see cycling content)

oldguy00
09-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Anyone here a TV expert?.

My TV just stoped displaying picture the other day (is that even a thing?), Though it still has sound.

In any case I need a new one, these are a couple that I am looking at, is one much better the the other?.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-43-class-led-4k-uhd-smart-firetv-edition-tv/6398129.p?skuId=6398129

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-43-class-un7000-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6417302.p?skuId=6417302

Also thinking of going up to a 50 inch, will I notice much difference between a 43 and a 50, is it worth the extra money?.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/50-class-v-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-vizio-smartcast-tv/6416380.p?skuId=6416380

We have the 43" Toshiba Fire TV in our bedroom and are very happy with it. If you have room for it, then a 50 will always be better!

ORMojo
09-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Go with the largest size possible.

We recently have had very good results with a couple of TCL Roku UHD TVs.

jmoore
09-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Get a 55" 4k UHD Hisense Andriod TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense-55-class-h65-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6402782.p?skuId=6402782

Hindmost
09-23-2020, 05:10 PM
Go big or go home. A major video retailer likes to say that no one ever returned TV because it was too big

Bob Ross
09-23-2020, 05:22 PM
Go big or go home. A major video retailer likes to say that no one ever returned TV because it was too big

Thread drift: When I bought my wife an engagement ring after about a day or two she said "I love this ring, it's gorgeous...but the stone just looks a little too big. Can you have the jeweler replace it with one that's 0.1 carat smaller?" When I took it back to the jeweler with that request they were gobsmacked, and insisted that in over 50 years in business no one had ever before requested that a diamond be downsized!

Back on topic: To OP, get a Sony, an LG, or a Samsung. Anything else will be a waste of money. And yes, do get the biggest TV you can afford. Your eyesight's not getting any better as you grow older.

merlinmurph
09-23-2020, 05:27 PM
I'm not a huge TV guy, but still, I would think 50" would be a minimum. I bought a 50" years ago for a medium-ish room and it's certainly not too big.

Peter P.
09-23-2020, 05:51 PM
General rules dictate you should sit 1.5-2.5 times away from the TV as your diagonal screen size.

So, if you have a 50" screen, you should sit 75-125" away, or 6-10ft.

Use those numbers as a guide to how large a screen you should purchase.

Have you considered getting the TV repaired?

Ralph
09-23-2020, 06:10 PM
Not about brand or size....but I would make sure it has an ethernet port. Some have them, some don't. I stream everything, mostly news or financial stuff, and TV I use sits beside the modem, and use wi fi, it doesn't have an ethernet port. I believe I could have a more reliable picture if I could connect to modem with an ethernet cable.

Ozz
09-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Not about brand or size....but I would make sure it has an ethernet port. Some have them, some don't. I stream everything, mostly news or financial stuff, and TV I use sits beside the modem, and use wi fi, it doesn't have an ethernet port. I believe I could have a more reliable picture if I could connect to modem with an ethernet cable.
+1 Good point.....

trener1
09-23-2020, 08:00 PM
I have not considered getting it repaired, I don't even know who repairs these things.

ORMojo
09-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Elefantino
09-23-2020, 09:16 PM
We have a high-zoot LG. It's crap.

makoti
09-23-2020, 10:44 PM
I'm not a huge TV guy, but still, I would think 50" would be a minimum. I bought a 50" years ago for a medium-ish room and it's certainly not too big.

Unless it's going in a bedroom or kitchen, I wouldn't go less than 50", or maybe even 55".

many_styles
09-24-2020, 02:02 AM
Wirecutter reviews are your best friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgauthier
09-24-2020, 03:37 AM
These guys have a very good review process: https://www.rtings.com

merlinmurph
09-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Regarding the ethernet port....

My TV (older Panasonic 50" ) has one and I originally had it connected because it had some useful apps like Amazon Prime. Over the years, the apps weren't supported anymore for that platform and removed, and the TV isn't connected directly to my network anymore. Something like a Roku box has all the apps you need/want, more functionality, and will be updated.

Has anybody had the same experience? I'm curious

Nooch
09-24-2020, 07:17 AM
I've been impressed with the very reasonably priced (sub $300) TCL from Amazon. Being primarily used as a streaming TV and my wife's secondary monitor (yes, a 42" second monitor is a tad excessive, but if we get her set up with a lectern it'll be perfect for her to teach with :) )

grateful
09-24-2020, 07:22 AM
I just went through the process of researching a new TV. Please keep in mind that these recommendations are for picture/features, not reliability. That being said I have had a 65 inch TCL for over a year and it has been trouble free

If you want the best of the best-LG OLED

If you want the best value-TCL 6 Series

I am not sure if you can get a smaller OLED but it appears you are more interested in value anyhoo.

Louie
09-24-2020, 07:41 AM
I have an OLED LG that i purchased in 2018, it was a 2017 model. Bat none the best TVs. That being said they are expensive. But you can typically get a prior yrs model at a significant discount. For me back then it was $990, compared to when it came out $1800.

Louie
09-24-2020, 07:44 AM
I believe it was around this time yr as well, off amazon. Also Amazon prime day is Oct.13th, if you can hold off.

As well if Anyone has a used IF club racer or gravel royale please PM me, thought I’d throw that out there haha

Ralph
09-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Regarding the ethernet port....

My TV (older Panasonic 50" ) has one and I originally had it connected because it had some useful apps like Amazon Prime. Over the years, the apps weren't supported anymore for that platform and removed, and the TV isn't connected directly to my network anymore. Something like a Roku box has all the apps you need/want, more functionality, and will be updated.

Has anybody had the same experience? I'm curious

My TV is a ROKU TV. So I get what they offer. (which now with Peacock is about everything except maybe Google). Would prefer to connect with a ethernet cable to modem VS Wi Fi is all I'm saying. Not a big deal, but everything being equal....wish I had an ethernet port on this TV.

I'm running 5 ROKU TV's on Wi Fi. Only one sits close enough to modem to use ethernet cable. I can't tell expensive TV's last longer than cheap ones. Maybe pic quality is better on expensive TV's, but is kinda lost on me.

trener1
09-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.
I dont think that I care much about what apps it has, since I use a Apple TV already and plan on continuing to use it even if the new TV has built in apps.

gavingould
09-24-2020, 09:25 AM
we like Samsung TVs in our Apple-centric house.
one or two steps up from the bottom seem to be a good sweet spot for picture quality, the built-in apps and stuff i don't care since we have AppleTV.
size, i'm the wrong guy to ask - just got a 75" and moved the older 60" to the workout room for Zwift duty, replacing a ~15 year old 46".

re: repair, it's probably a capacitor blown or something otherwise down to a simple cheap component. finding someone to repair it may cost at least half as much as replacing it entirely?

p nut
09-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Most TV’s also have AppleTV within the available apps.

I like Samsung and I usually get them from Costco. I like their extended warranty plans that come with the TV’s.

I’d go for at least 55”.

For me, as long as you’ve got a decent WiFi router, not being hard wired isn’t an issue.

yinzerniner
09-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.
I dont think that I care much about what apps it has, since I use a Apple TV already and plan on continuing to use it even if the new TV has built in apps.

If you're reliant on another device being the brains for content culling then get the best picture your budget allows, and the largest size your space allows.

If you decide to splurge on an OLED rest assured that unless it breaks you'll have an incredible display for the next 10+ years.

LCD TVs are basically disposable commodities these days, so choosing one over the other is more likely due to size and features as opposed to picture quality.

Bottom line - you won't have buyers remorse if you slightly overspend on something you love for over a decade.

pcxmbfj
09-24-2020, 09:42 AM
Go with the largest size possible.

We recently have had very good results with a couple of TCL Roku UHD TVs.

Last TV I bought was TCL and it's the best one I've had.
Also good service. When lightning took out carrier and local service their customer service hand held me through a complex reset for a unit well out of warranty.

merlinmurph
09-24-2020, 11:10 AM
My TV is a ROKU TV. So I get what they offer. (which now with Peacock is about everything except maybe Google). Would prefer to connect with a ethernet cable to modem VS Wi Fi is all I'm saying. Not a big deal, but everything being equal....wish I had an ethernet port on this TV.

I'm running 5 ROKU TV's on Wi Fi. Only one sits close enough to modem to use ethernet cable. I can't tell expensive TV's last longer than cheap ones. Maybe pic quality is better on expensive TV's, but is kinda lost on me.

Sorry, I forgot one important detail: my Roku box is connected via ethernet

Keith A
09-24-2020, 11:15 AM
Just a quick note, but I just spent a while researching 43" TV's and I ended up with this one...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-43-class-x800h-series-led-4k-uhd-tv-smart-android-tv/6400729.p?skuId=6400729

We've been happy so far. I would agree with those that say go bigger if possible, but 43" was as big as we could put where we wanted it.

Mark McM
09-24-2020, 11:19 AM
Not about brand or size....but I would make sure it has an ethernet port.

Because why just watch your television, when you television can watch you!

https://entertainment.ie/trending/yes-your-samsung-smart-tv-has-been-listening-in-on-your-conversations-340669/

reuben
09-24-2020, 03:27 PM
I just went through the process of researching a new TV. Please keep in mind that these recommendations are for picture/features, not reliability. That being said I have had a 65 inch TCL for over a year and it has been trouble free

If you want the best of the best-LG OLED

If you want the best value-TCL 6 Series

I am not sure if you can get a smaller OLED but it appears you are more interested in value anyhoo.

Yeah, let's talk about value. I bought a new TV about 3 years ago. Given how little I watch it, I bought a good, but fairly inexpensive TV. LG, I think. It will display 4K, but when I watch 1080 OTA or via Ye Olde Internete, 4K is irrelevant. And it's not OLED, which was crazy expensive at the time (maybe still is).

I don't subscribe to Verizon, AT&T, Hulu, Amazon, Disney, ESPN, or any large package like that.

So before you go whole hog, or even half hog on a good TV, think about how much you'll use it, what you'll use it for, and what sort of signal you'll be receiving.

I may upgrade my TV when ATSC 3.0 broadcasts become widely available (I currently watch some stuff via ATSC 1.0, and 2.0 never really happened) . Or I may not, if my viewing time decreases even more.

trener1
09-24-2020, 03:35 PM
I'll be using it for the usual, watching streaming shows on the usual suspects, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc...
I also watch Baseball and Football on some of the steaming services, as well as bike racing of course.
As well as Zwift.

FriarQuade
09-24-2020, 03:36 PM
We recently replaced a Sony that had some dead pixels with a Samsung Q800. I went with that one specifically because it's supposed to be really good in bright rooms, which we definitely have. I'm pretty impressed with it, didn't realize how awful our Sony was until we replaced it. I always thought it was just the nature of the natural light in the room and that anything would look bad in those conditions, I couldn't have been more wrong.

trener1
09-24-2020, 04:19 PM
Another quick question, someone locally is selling a higher end 2017 Samsung.
I think it was around $1000 new and he is asking $200.
Would that be better then one of the new ones in the $250-$300 range?.
Is it to much of a risk?

yinzerniner
09-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Another quick question, someone locally is selling a higher end 2017 Samsung.
I think it was around $1000 new and he is asking $200.
Would that be better then one of the new ones in the $250-$300 range?.
Is it to much of a risk?

I'd go with a $500 new tv over a $200 3 year old used one.

bigbill
09-24-2020, 04:40 PM
Since canceling DirectTV and switching to Hulu TV, I have been impressed with the picture on my 3 year old Vizio. It is a 50" and I've got more room so I might go bigger and move the 50 to the office/bike room.