PDA

View Full Version : Campag EPS front derailleur help

ariw
09-23-2020, 09:42 AM
Been having trouble with shifting into the big ring using Record EPS, and made some careful adjustments today, but still couldn't get it working consistently. I finally noticed that the issue seems to be caused by the knuckle that interfaces with the braze-on mount being just loose enough to twist a few degrees against the body of the FD. I can't see any way to tighten this down. What am I missing? BTW, when I say knuckle, this is the plastic piece with screw sticking out that goes through braze-on for mounting.

TIA,
-Ari

msriddle
09-23-2020, 08:42 PM
campagnolo FD-SR001EPS

oldpotatoe
09-24-2020, 06:40 AM
campagnolo FD-SR001EPS

It's a little tab on the front der that pushes against the frame to support it for kinda 'flexy' front der tabs on a lot of carbon frames..

ariw
09-26-2020, 02:25 PM
I saw that during my initial research, but the braze on tab is rock solid, it’s a Colnago C60, so not an aero seat tube. Here’s a pic:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200926/2ed5dba96a27b194ae80516a7becba92.jpg

Not sure if you can see, but the body of the derailleur and the knuckle are 2 pieces, I was thinking of trying to get some epoxy in there. I can rotate the knuckle a few degrees against the main derailleur body, which explains the missed shifts.

Ari

tomato coupe
09-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Have you tried it with the curved spacer under the nut, rather than the chain catcher?

oldpotatoe
09-27-2020, 06:07 AM
I saw that during my initial research, but the braze on tab is rock solid, it’s a Colnago C60, so not an aero seat tube. Here’s a pic:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200926/2ed5dba96a27b194ae80516a7becba92.jpg

Not sure if you can see, but the body of the derailleur and the knuckle are 2 pieces, I was thinking of trying to get some epoxy in there. I can rotate the knuckle a few degrees against the main derailleur body, which explains the missed shifts.

Ari

Warranty..there shouldn't be slop inside the front der.

ariw
09-27-2020, 02:01 PM
OP-

Was hoping you would chime in, your wisdom is always appreciated. I am past warranty, I think this is about 5 years old. Before I give in and buy another one, any recommendations on an epoxy for this material? I think that it is worth a try considering the cost. I was thinking of giving JB-Weld a try.

TIA,
-Ari

gfk_velo
10-18-2020, 12:25 PM
OP-

Was hoping you would chime in, your wisdom is always appreciated. I am past warranty, I think this is about 5 years old. Before I give in and buy another one, any recommendations on an epoxy for this material? I think that it is worth a try considering the cost. I was thinking of giving JB-Weld a try.

TIA,
-Ari

This part can very occasionally un-bond.
We've seen it happen with very saline environments.

The only fix is to carefully break apart, clean very thoroughly with IPA being careful not to get any onto the cosmetic surfaces of the mech (it "crazes" the surface finish) or into the motor unit, then re-epoxy using a high-strength two-part epoxy adhesive.

We have only ever had to do this at the Service Centre in the UK 3 times and we've been 100% successful - the earlier you can catch the movement and fix it, instinct tells me, the higher the chances of a good fix, as you need as little erosion as possible of the mating surfaces.