PDA

View Full Version : SRAM 12 Speed chain + Force1X 11 speed drive train? Definitely Yes.

Wayne77
09-22-2020, 07:18 PM
I was in a pinch a few weeks ago, needed an 11 sp chain for my gravel bike, was leaving for a big ride the next morning. I only had a backup chain for my mtb - it came with a GX Eagle group. I read up a bit online and saw many mentions of it working fine since the internal spacing is the same. So I cut the chain to size and went for a ride.

Immediate first impression: WOW...so quiet! I mean MUCH quieter than any used or new 11 chain has been with the Force1X group. I’ve grown accustomed to a fairly loud clickety drivetrain...figuring that was the price to pay for 1X. I read somewhere SRAM did some additional milling and chamfering of the 12 speed chains to reduce noise and increase wear life. But I was just wanting a chain that would get me by...super delighted that it is so quiet now.

Shifting seems to be spot on perfect. No noticeable difference.

Anyone know if it’s worth trying on a DA 9000 drive train? I wonder if the narrower outside width would be a problem with front der shifts. I’m tempted to try if anything to reduce the noise of my road bike drive train.