PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Rockies

Silverthump
05-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Road my first Ride the Rockies in 95. Also road my first Serotta at RTR in 95 (Sponsor). Got hooked on ridding in the mountains and also ridiing Serotta's. Have ridden my own personal Serrotta's (4 to date) in 5 Colorado rides since that introduction.
Would like to meet any forum members that are attending this year.
Looking forward to Trail Ridge Road. (see post earlier today). One of the key climbs I have missed in Colorado.
Have been up most of them but the two worst to date are Grand Mesa & Slumgullion. These were two where all conversation & joking stopped. If Lance is right about "I become a happier man each time I suffer" then I am about as happy as I want to get at 56, 5ft10in and 195lbs.
Again, an old flatlander from KC would enjoy meeting members and sharing lies and an adult beverage June 20-26 :beer:

sam.g
05-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Try posting your request on the Road Bike Review forum, you may recieve a few more replies from folks particiating in this year's RTR. If I'm not mistaken, the RTR passes through Estes Park after traversing Trail Ridge Road this summer. Were it not for the fact that my group of buddies and I are riding Cycle America's "Northern Cascades tour" this August, we would have choosen RTR in late June. My Colorado experience is limited to last year's "Bicycle Tour of Colorado" and now Trail Ridge Road, but I've now been hooked on cycling the Colorado mountain passes.

Trail Ridge Road should be absolutely gorgeous later in June and the ride is far less strenuous than some of the other Colorado passes we crosed last summer. Although I had no way of confirming the grades, I believe the articles stating an average of 5% are accurate. Last year's Royal Gorge climb and Mt. Evans were real killers compared to Trail Ridge Road.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the descent on Trail Ridge was far worse than the climb. Pack extra clothes including wind/rain jacket, long finger groves, leg warmers ect. The weather can change in an instant and usually does, especially in the afternoon.

Good luck, I wish I could join you.

Sam

Dekonick
05-19-2004, 05:17 PM
ROFL - have to laugh about it being an easy ride! The only time I have gone over Estes Park I noticed my rental car gasping for oxygen! I cant imagine doing it on a bike - then again I weigh 190lbs... The town of Loveland just below is neat. But the weather in the Rockies is completely unpredictable. Come prepared (only exp I have is hiking or skiing the rockies - I always drool when I see people cycling and I am on foot. (Some great xc skiing in Ashcroft!)

IF you want a challenge (just from what my sister tells me - she lives in Snowmass just outside of Aspen) try doing Independance pass- its beautiful and it looks like real torture! - make sure you dont bring your 12x21! (still using 8 speed casette here)

Wish I could go... but then again I would just get dropped. :bike:

CIII_bill
05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Silverthump,

I live in Denver. Never have done RTR. I'm doing the Triple Bypass again this year.

I HAVE ridden Slumgullion Pass once after a breakfast of french toast and almost lost in climbing up that pass. Whew! That pass is steeper than most in Colorado.

Have fun this year.

Bill

CIII_bill
05-19-2004, 09:44 PM
I forgot to mention. Ron Keifel (of the 80's 7/11 team) will be doing bike clinics each night at RTR. He's a great guy and very approachable. Oh, and he rides an Ottrott. You'll have lots in common<g>.

Bill

NicaDog
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I am based in Boulder, CO and doing the RTR this year on my Coors Light CRL.

If anybody needs suggestions for a place to stay in Boulder, or a place to store things during the ride, feel free to contact me.

Remember, less air means less wind resistance!

David