PDA

View Full Version : One More Time

jpw
09-21-2020, 02:42 PM
https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_uk/men-cycling-jacket-leonie-orange.html

Is this kit for real, as in riding on a bike real? It just has a silly hoax vibe about it. Can't quite get my head around it.

rallizes
09-21-2020, 02:47 PM
You think this might be a hoax?

Dude
09-21-2020, 03:07 PM
Yeah...I'm not really seeing the hoax part of it.

Bentley
09-21-2020, 03:08 PM

Is this kit for real, as in riding on a bike real? It just has a silly hoax vibe about it. Can't quite get my head around it.

Not sure what you are getting at... it’s a “puffy” jacket.

redir
09-21-2020, 03:12 PM
It would be a hoax maybe if it was being sold for $25 bucks. Otherwise looks like a nice jacket to me. It helps sometimes to look at the history of a domain name and you can do that here:

https://lookup.icann.org/lookup

That domain was registered in 2009. Usually scamp sites are selling ripoffs that look close to the real deal for super cheap and their domain names are registered in unusual places and very recently.

retropean
09-21-2020, 04:49 PM
I mean it’s untraditional as far as road clothing goes I guess. For $250 I could probably find better ways to stay warm.

Latestart
09-21-2020, 04:54 PM
I like that gear, check out the jerseys.

Love to see the store in person

Nice: https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us/la-gazette/nice-store/

Kirk007
09-21-2020, 05:04 PM
cafe du cycliste makes really nice stuff, nicer than most high end brands, even if some of it is nontraditional in looks.

weisan
09-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Jason pal, I know you been gone for a while...but since you came back sometime middle of this year, you have changed. A LOT....you have become a lot more cynical...about almost everything. Just go back and look at some of your recent posts you will see what I mean. It's perfectly ok to call into question things we have doubts about. I am all for a healthy dosage of critical thinking and practicing some discernment. But I think...you are besides yourself lately. I don't know what you have been through when you were gone...but this is not normal. And I don't have to be a doctor to see that. I have the best intentions for you. I am glad you came back or started to contribute again on this forum. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

weisan

enr1co
09-21-2020, 07:41 PM
I like that gear, check out the jerseys.

Love to see the store in person

Nice: https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us/la-gazette/nice-store/

They do make nice but pricey, quality stuff. Truly more a cafe’/ boutique than bike shop but worth a stop by to enjoy a coffee drink and marina views

charliedid
09-21-2020, 08:25 PM
I rather like that jacket.

ducati2
09-21-2020, 08:41 PM
I kind of like that jacket. To the OP and for the sake of conversation, what is your preferred brand of gear you wear when riding your bike?

Toeclips
09-21-2020, 08:42 PM
Same here, a little pricey but a practical looking jacket

wc1934
09-21-2020, 08:47 PM
Jason pal, I know you been gone for a while...but since you came back sometime middle of this year, you have changed. A LOT....you have become a lot more cynical...about almost everything. Just go back and look at some of your recent posts you will see what I mean. It's perfectly ok to call into question things we have doubts about. I am all for a healthy dosage of critical thinking and practicing some discernment. But I think...you are besides yourself lately. I don't know what you have been through when you were gone...but this is not normal. And I don't have to be a doctor to see that. I have the best intentions for you. I am glad you came back or started to contribute again on this forum. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck!

weisan

weisan pal - being kinda harsh, aren't you - dude was only pointing out that he thought $250 was a lot for a jacket.

akelman
09-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Two thoughts, each worth the pixels I used to post 'em. First, I have a few pieces of Cafe du Cycliste kit, all of which I've bought used here. They're unusual, I suppose, but also unusually nicely made. I like them quite a lot. Second, diagnosing mental illness over the internet seems like a particularly ill-advised and probably unkind thing to do. If someone here's ever worried that my chain is slipping or I've cracked a bearing, maybe send me a PM rather than posting about it in public?

FlashUNC
09-21-2020, 11:53 PM
Come for the post about jackets, stay for the weird, unsolicited, needless mental health advice.

barnabyjones
09-21-2020, 11:58 PM
Two thoughts, each worth the pixels I used to post 'em. First, I have a few pieces of Cafe du Cycliste kit, all of which I've bought used here. They're unusual, I suppose, but also unusually nicely made. I like them quite a lot. Second, diagnosing mental illness over the internet seems like a particularly ill-advised and probably unkind thing to do. If someone here's ever worried that my chain is slipping or I've cracked a bearing, maybe send me a PM rather than posting about it in public?

But isn't a cracked bearing or slipped chain metaphor for mental illness a bit cruel as well.

I'll say this, that jacket looks crazy stupid. I would have rocked it in my New York parka days, with Timberlands. On a bike, I think it would be very hot. In...a...bad...way.

akelman
09-22-2020, 12:08 AM
But isn't a cracked bearing or slipped chain metaphor for mental illness a bit cruel as well.

On a bike forum, I don't think so? But I'm open to the possibility that I was being too glib. Regardless, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone and apologize if I did.

barnabyjones
09-22-2020, 12:17 AM
I was mostly pulling your chain!

I'm still trying to find the colloquialism that the OP intended to use instead of hoax. Did he mean contrived, artificial, inauthentic, preposterously superficial? Or was he speculating that these French dudes are just taking the piss? Ah, but on the Continent, the ludicrous can be sublime.

akelman
09-22-2020, 12:21 AM
I just bought this jersey (https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us/men-cycling-jersey-clemence-navy.html) from someone here (beard sold separately). It's quite a bit fuzzier in person than I was expecting (the jersey, not the beard, which is sold separately). I kind of love it, I think? It's a little like wearing a muppet pelt.

akelman
09-22-2020, 12:24 AM
I should say that it's like wearing a faux muppet pelt. I want to be absolutely clear about something: no matter how fuzzy it might be, I would never wear an authentic muppet pelt!

barnabyjones
09-22-2020, 12:40 AM
That's the best jersey ever. They should throw a few on the floor in their cafe and call it the Mike Kelley corner.

happycampyer
09-22-2020, 12:46 AM
I should say that it's like wearing a faux muppet pelt. I want to be absolutely clear about something: no matter how fuzzy it might be, I would never wear an authentic muppet pelt!
That piece always reminded me of a felted wool rug—good to hear that it isn’t a hoax. I’m a big fan of Café du Cycliste, and have visited the shop several times (get socca at Chez Pippo if you’re in the neighborhood). The Micheline jersey is great in the dead of summer. CdC definitely aren’t just knocking off other people’s designs.

oldpotatoe
09-22-2020, 06:03 AM
weisan pal - being kinda harsh, aren't you - dude was only pointing out that he thought $250 was a lot for a jacket.

Agree...bike forum psychoanalyst?? From a post about a jacket..jacket...:eek::eek:
Come for the post about jackets, stay for the weird, unsolicited, needless mental health advice.

:banana::banana:

makoti
09-22-2020, 08:08 AM

weisan

If this is serious, it would have been better as a PM.

charliedid
09-22-2020, 08:12 AM
I rather like that jacket.

AngryScientist
09-22-2020, 08:16 AM
this is kind of a weird thread.

on topic of the jacket, i like it, and i dont think it's really too far out of the ordinary for cycling clothing.

i mean, we all get out there and put on our favorite roadie costumes and pedal around on our bikes, and i dont think this jacket looks much more bizarre than any of the other non traditional pieces of kit available today.

in fact, i think it's probably a smartly made, warm jacket.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/media/catalog/product/m/e/men-cycling-jacket-leonie-orange-3_1.jpg

duke
09-22-2020, 08:36 AM
It looks like really nice/cool stuff. I had not heard of them before. Looks like a good excuse for more Covid lockdown shopping!

adrien
09-22-2020, 08:43 AM
In case this thread is actually about the jacket...

I have an earlier version. It's kind of halfway between a jersey and a jacket, and the puffy bit on the front is a wind blocker. Clever zipped vents at the shoulder.

Bar none, it's my favorite winter kit ever. I wear it from mid-30s to about 50. With a long sleeved merino base layer it's good down to freezing. With a summer base layer it's fine to the 50s.

It's subtle, but when I wear it folks always ask about it. It's got a very structured cut; looks almost military.

Cafe is one of those brands that makes exceptionally nice things, and they are really well made. They also back their products and their service is excellent. In some ways, I think Cafe is what Rapha used to be, and that's a good thing.

charliedid
09-22-2020, 09:38 AM

I have an earlier version. It's kind of halfway between a jersey and a jacket, and the puffy bit on the front is a wind blocker. Clever zipped vents at the shoulder.

Bar none, it's my favorite winter kit ever. I wear it from mid-30s to about 50. With a long sleeved merino base layer it's good down to freezing. With a summer base layer it's fine to the 50s.

It's subtle, but when I wear it folks always ask about it. It's got a very structured cut; looks almost military.

Cafe is one of those brands that makes exceptionally nice things, and they are really well made. They also back their products and their service is excellent. In some ways, I think Cafe is what Rapha used to be, and that's a good thing.

Good to hear from an actual owner.

I could tell just by looking at it that it is perfectly suited to cold weather riding for what I do. I actually owned a very similar piece made by Pearl Izumi 25 years ago. NorthFace made something similar but no pockets.

fignon's barber
09-22-2020, 11:45 AM
Kinda reminds me of the Isadore Shield long sleeved jersey. Which I own. And love.

Kirk007
09-22-2020, 01:12 PM

Perfectly said ATMO.

Ozz
09-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Perfectly said ATMO.
Are their sizing charts accurate?

jpw
09-22-2020, 03:24 PM
I kind of like that jacket. To the OP and for the sake of conversation, what is your preferred brand of gear you wear when riding your bike?

Assos.

jpw
09-22-2020, 03:28 PM

weisan

Covid lockdown social distancing crazy. 2020 has been that kind of year :-).

soupless
09-22-2020, 03:29 PM

I own one of their jerseys and found it to be in line with just about everything else.

jpw
09-22-2020, 03:34 PM
You think this might be a hoax?

Perhaps hoax is the wrong word. It just has that rather hard to believe catwalk look about it that the fashion industry expects everyone to lap up. It's so different from most everything else out there that I'm skeptical it will work as a technical piece.

Ozz
09-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Covid lockdown social distancing crazy. 2020 has been that kind of year :-).

A guy walks into a bar....orders a Corona and two Hurricanes....bartender says: "That will be $20.20"

:rolleyes:

Kirk007
09-22-2020, 03:45 PM

I would say so at least in the pieces I have. The race/trim cut is that - fits like Rapha pro but nice stretchy material. I am xxl in tops with Rapha and with CDC, xl in bibs in both.

jpw
09-22-2020, 03:46 PM

Thanks. So it does perform technically? That's good to know. It takes a little bit of adjustment to realise that something that looks so different will work out there on the road.

Do you ever get any quizzical looks?

Kirk007
09-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Perhaps hoax is the wrong word. It just has that rather hard to believe catwalk look about it that the fashion industry expects everyone to lap up. It's so different from most everything else out there that I'm skeptical it will work as a technical piece.

I think that jacket is fairly similar to the PedalEd Tokaido polartec alpha jacket:
https://pedaled.com/us_en/men-alpha-cycling-jacket-coral-red-tokaido

And as earlier pointed out not dissimilar to some of the Isadore jackets and tops.

reuben
09-22-2020, 04:16 PM
assos.

+1

charliedid
09-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Quilting is not exactly radical or cause for alarm.

jpw
09-23-2020, 04:12 AM
Quilting is not exactly radical or cause for alarm.

I always associate quilting with pheasant shooting.

adrien
09-23-2020, 09:56 AM
Thanks. So it does perform technically? That's good to know. It takes a little bit of adjustment to realise that something that looks so different will work out there on the road.

Do you ever get any quizzical looks?

It works great. Actually far better than any other jacket I've had (Rapha, Castelli, Giordana).

I sometimes get quizzical looks, but I don't think that's correlated to the jacket...:hello:

charliedid
09-23-2020, 12:05 PM
I always associate quilting with pheasant shooting.

Me too.

Check the newest offerings from pearl Izumi :)

jpw
09-24-2020, 03:54 AM
Me too.

Check the newest offerings from pearl Izumi :)

https://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/shop/mens-versa-quilted-hoody/VARJ1006

The first cooler days this week here in England. Bye bye summer.

I'm feeling the need to shop. This one or the CdC quilt. Any colour so long as it's quilt ;-).