PDA

View Full Version : Arkea-Samsic/Quintana Doping Investigation

RobJ
09-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Clearly his performance at the TdF would indicate otherwise....

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-police-open-doping-investigation-after-arkea-samsic-hotel-search-at-tour-de-france/

Elefantino
09-21-2020, 04:05 PM
Nairo, Nairo, Nairo ...

bicycletricycle
09-21-2020, 04:33 PM
I bet it is allergy medication or some ointment.

On the other hand, *** do I know?

Why aren't ketones illegal?

peanutgallery
09-21-2020, 04:42 PM
MotoMan is alive and well

Some things never change

Clean39T
09-21-2020, 04:43 PM

Why aren't exogenous ketones illegal?

It's just fuel - but is it covering for something else? Who knows.....

bicycletricycle
09-21-2020, 05:26 PM
keytones are not fuel in the same way sugar and carbs are. Your body makes them. Your body makes lots of things that you arent allowed to take as a supplement.

what is the point of making doping illegal?

to make things fair?
to see who the best natural athlete is?
to keep the riders safe?

Seems to me like ketones don't fit in with any of these goals. Just because your body makes it. Your body makes testosterone as well but I am pretty sure it is illegal :)

Nick12
09-21-2020, 05:40 PM
I was always under the impression that substances were banned to protect the health of the riders as there isn’t a lot known about the longer term effects of some of the substances. Fairness shouldn’t really be a factor because when everyone is taking them then everyone is on the same playing field.

But to the Quintana point, I’m really hoping he isn’t caught up in it. I would like to see a Quintana-comeback. But maybe that’s just me!

robt57
09-21-2020, 05:47 PM

Isn't it more the mechanism for fuel delivery being diddled really?

bicycletricycle
09-21-2020, 06:08 PM
Isn't it more the mechanism for fuel delivery being diddled really?

We can all look the science up if we want to. Your body makes ketones under certain circumstances as a type of fuel. It is not a source of fuel that occurs naturally outside of the body. It is not like taking a gel.

Clean39T
09-21-2020, 06:28 PM
keytones are not fuel in the same way sugar and carbs are. Your body makes them. Your body makes lots of things that you arent allowed to take as a supplement.

what is the point of making doping illegal?

to make things fair?

to see who the best natural athlete is?

to keep the riders safe?

Seems to me like ketones don't fit in with any of these goals. Just because your body makes it. Your body makes testosterone as well but I am pretty sure it is illegal :)Fair point. The lines are pretty fuzzy for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

notsew
09-21-2020, 06:43 PM

If they aren't harmful (and I have no idea) and everyone has ready access, then why bother? If you do, it's just another thing to test for and regulate and a potential disadvantage for those that don't want to break the rules.

tctyres
09-21-2020, 07:23 PM
Was Arkea-Samsic in the TdF this year? I can't remember. ;)

Dayer kept crashing at the back of the peloton. Maybe he should use stronger dope?

bicycletricycle
09-21-2020, 07:29 PM
If they aren't harmful (and I have no idea) and everyone has ready access, then why bother? If you do, it's just another thing to test for and regulate and a potential disadvantage for those that don't want to break the rules.

I might agree with that, but then you would have to let in testosterone, topical steroids, some banned anti inflamitories and HGH just to name a few.

Mark McM
09-21-2020, 07:34 PM
I might agree with that, but then you would have to let in testosterone, topical steroids, some banned anti inflamitories and HGH just to name a few.

But these are deemed to be be potentially harmful (if misused), which is why you need a prescription for them.

jimoots
09-21-2020, 09:30 PM
From reading a few different articles on this, it sounds like the whole team had their rooms searched.

Calling out Nairo feels like clickbait at this stage, at least I hope it is.

bicycletricycle
09-21-2020, 10:07 PM
But these are deemed to be be potentially harmful (if misused), which is why you need a prescription for them.

Not all prescribed substances are banned. It is not the criteria being used, I am actually unclear what the criteria is. Lots of substances are dangerous if abused used incorrectly. Some are banned and some aren’t. Besides, if danger is the worry than let them take it under doctors supervision.

Mark McM
09-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Not all prescribed substances are banned. It is not the criteria being used, I am actually unclear what the criteria is. Lots of substances are dangerous if abused used incorrectly. Some are banned and some aren’t.

I mentioned the prescription aspect to point out the drugs you mention have already been determined to be potentially dangerous (and thus require a prescription).

As far the criteria for what substances are banned - From the WADA Prohibited Substances web page (https://www.usada.org/athletes/substances/prohibited-list/):

Typically, a substance or method will be considered for the WADA Prohibited List if the substance or method meets any two of the following three criteria:

It has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance
It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete
It violates the spirit of sport

Besides, if danger is the worry than let them take it under doctors supervision.

That would violate medical ethics. Some substances can cause potential danger to health, and so they aren't to be prescribed unless there is a medical necessity - in other words, in cases where the danger using the substances outweighs the danger of not using it. Administering potentially dangerous substances to healthy individuals who don't need it violates the oath of medicine.

oldpotatoe
09-22-2020, 06:15 AM

BUT, there is a 'no needle' reg..not even saline IVs..
Besides, if danger is the worry than let them take it under doctors supervision.

All teams have on staff doctors..many of them are PART of the 'program'...
That would violate medical ethics.

Yer kidding, right? Lotsa $ involved...Many named, genuine MDs have been involved in doping schemes.
Physician involvement in these illicit, and often medically dangerous, practices will seem counterintuitive to those who associate physicians with the task of healing and the injunction to do no harm. The reality, however, is that many doctors have been providing athletes with doping drugs and expertise throughout the modern doping epidemic that dates from the 1960s .
Physicians dope athletes for a variety of reasons that can range from unethical service to the state to the gratifying of their own immature emotional needs.

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/physicians-and-sports-doping-epidemic/2014-07