PDA

View Full Version : Bearing for "new" Campagnolo threaded headsets?

jamesdak
09-21-2020, 07:56 AM
So the Nova Special I just picked up is working great except for the headset. Can't find that middle ground between no play and no binding.

Going to service it and wonder if it's ok to use loose balls in it versus caged?

This is the newer style Record threaded headset. It's the only component on the bike with a lot of tool marks so while all the Chorus parts are new I think this was used.

Asking because I probably have the right size loose bearings on hand already. I just need to research the sites. Pretty sure it's not a problem but wanted to make sure.

mtechnica
09-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Loose bearings are totally fine. Sometimes people switch to them because you can use more balls without the cage and it can help with brinelled bearing races.

tmf
09-21-2020, 08:02 AM
It's been awhile since I had my Nova Special X with a similar headset, but I ran mine with loose bearings. Double-check me, but I believe you want to add one additional bearing when running loose compared to bearings in a retainer. There should still be a little space, so don't cram them in if they don't fit!

You'll need to verify the bearing size. I pack the cup with grease, then push the bearings in to seat them.

jamesdak
09-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Cool, I figured as much. I've got 1/4' 3/16" and 5/32" on hand. I just need to see if those are the right size. I imagine larger ones in the bottom.

Hopefully a good service solves this issue. I have a spare Record headset on hand and another on order but they are getting harder to find it seems.

The problem with 30+ old steel bikes that you ride is keeping them all going and keeping enough parts on hand, LOL!

oldpotatoe
09-22-2020, 06:52 AM
Cool, I figured as much. I've got 1/4' 3/16" and 5/32" on hand. I just need to see if those are the right size. I imagine larger ones in the bottom.

Hopefully a good service solves this issue. I have a spare Record headset on hand and another on order but they are getting harder to find it seems.

The problem with 30+ old steel bikes that you ride is keeping them all going and keeping enough parts on hand, LOL!

5/32 on top and 3/16 on the bottom and make sure, if the bearings are in a cage, the top ones aren't upside down. Loose balls solves this.
Also make sure you have everything..particularly part 'E' below.

jamesdak
09-22-2020, 07:29 AM
5/32 on top and 3/16 on the bottom and make sure, if the bearings are in a cage, the top ones aren't upside down. Loose balls solves this.
Also make sure you have everything..particularly part 'E' below.

Thanks Pete!

I am half expecting the one set of bearing to be upside down with I open it. Just waiting until I get the new quill stem in and then I'll do it all at one time. I do have a bulk of grade 25 bearings in those sizes on hand.

jamesdak
09-26-2020, 02:53 PM
Just an update. Opened the headset up finally. Yeah, bearing totally knackered. New bearing and grease and then it was a cinch to adjust the headset and get it done. Thanks all for the help and info.

jamesdak
09-26-2020, 03:29 PM
And as luck would have it. Walked out to check the mail after finishing this and the new stem was waiting for me. Put 'er on and grabbed one quick pick. Left it a little high for now but after the test ride I'm about to take I'll probably drop it some.

https://pbase.com/image/171070942.jpg