PDA

View Full Version : Aero Gran Compe 300 Brake Pads

fords4life
09-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Any recommendations or options for replacing the pads on my AGC 300 calipers? Having a hard time finding anything with the same style mount (female threads on the pad).

gbcoupe
09-20-2020, 01:28 PM
I'd start with picking out any bits stuck in the pads and roughing them up with sand paper. They didn't stop very well when new. Can't be too much worse now.
Guessing the only replacements to be found are just as old as yours.

Mark McM
09-20-2020, 01:42 PM
I used to have a set of these brakes. As I recall, I wasn't able to find replacement pads for the original pad holders, but many Shimano style pad holders use similar threaded posts and would fit these brakes. I currently have some Dia-Compe BRS 400 brakes, which use a similar brake pad mounting (thread post on pad holder that inserts into rotating discs on caliper arm). I just measured the threaded posts on the BRS 400, and also a set of Jagwire Shimano style pad holders, and the posts were both 6.2mm in diameters. The jagwire pad holders fit and function just fine on the BRS 400 brakes.

Here's an image of a Shimano style brake pad holder from the Park Tool Brake Pad Replacement (https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/brake-pad-replacement-rim-brakes) web page, showing the threaded post mount:

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/repairhelp/padRep_005.jpg

These pad holders pretty much all use M5x0.8mm threads, so you should be able to use the original mounting bolts.

fords4life
09-21-2020, 08:49 AM
Thank you. I'll definitely take a look at those Shimano still pads. Unfortunately with as hard as these are, I don't think I'm going to be able to save them.

keevon
09-21-2020, 10:24 AM
Here are some pictures of Shimano-style pad holders in my AGC-300 brakes. Years back, I used one of these as a front brake for a fixed gear. Actually worked pretty well with Kool Stop pads.

fords4life
09-21-2020, 01:47 PM
Here are some pictures of Shimano-style pad holders in my AGC-300 brakes. Years back, I used one of these as a front brake for a fixed gear. Actually worked pretty well with Kool Stop pads.

Thanks for the photos! Going to look for pads today.

fords4life
09-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Ordered some Shimano style Jagwire pads today. We'll see how it goes.

fords4life
09-29-2020, 11:05 PM
Always bugs me when posts are never closed out. Forgot to snap a pic, but got the Jagwire rear pads mounted and they're a perfect fit. Thanks again!