PDA

View Full Version : Meivici

Bob the builder
02-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Has anyone actually ridden one of these?? Considering getting one but would like to hear from someone who has got one.

saab2000
02-07-2007, 06:07 AM
I have never even seen one of these mythical beasts, but Jack Brunk (among others) owns one and has another on the way IIRC and claims to like it.

Do a search in the Custom Gallery and you will see a few. They sure look nice!

Kevin
02-07-2007, 06:27 AM
I am sure that Jack will send you a private message about his thoughts. Just send him an e-mail.

Kevin

Blastinbob
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I have ridden 2. It can be made to ride just how you want with 4 different tube options and a million geometry changes. You could test ride half dozen Meivici's and probly never test the one that was built to your specifications, just ask Jack who is going on number 3!

Serotta has learned alot about the tuning and building of an all carbon bike over the last year and as time goes on they will learn even more. If you are thinking about purchasing the "only" fully custom carbon bike on the planet you need to talk to many owners for feedback on their builds, what they like and what they would change if they bought another. Just wish I had a spare 8k laying around to plunk down on one, I wouldn't hesitate.

93legendti
02-07-2007, 08:48 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=219048

Serotta PETE
02-07-2007, 12:10 PM
SPOKES has not ridden any of his other bikes, since he got his in the summer.

It is a great ride......Is it better or worse than an OTTROTT....Different...

I like both of the rides.

Jason E
02-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I've two friends with Ottrott's, amongst other rides, and they compare the Meivici to the Ottrott, as everything you love about the Ottrott, except out of Carbon, so it's lighter.

Ride quality is very close.

Basically, what Pete said.

BoulderGeek
02-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I rode one. It was nice.

Much like the BMC I rode before, and the Ottrott I rode after.

It was so hard for me to tell the difference between other capable carbon race bikes that I failed to see what the price differential purchased.

But, I'm not that discriminating.

I still want 55/Rad's chrome Pinarello.

Bob the builder
02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys,will continue to research and undoubtedly take the plunge......have to suffer as much on the hills but will just look better doing it!

Skrawny
02-08-2007, 04:13 PM
I own a Legend TI; I have ridden at least 60 miles on a Fierte (with old TI seatstays), Legend-ST, a handfull of Sevens, the Ottrott ST and the Meivici.

For me the Ottrott was the best of the lot. As others have said it is difficult to compare two models of custom bikes, as they may have tubes and angles tuned for different rides, and some may fit better than others. Not to mention different components and wheels, nor the effect that the thrill of riding a cool bike can do!

Nevertheless, I'll try to compare, with my Legend TI as a benchmark. FYI: I am a lightweight, spinner, climber type. When I tested the Meivici I felt I climbed at least one gear better than on my legend. I also climbed better on the Ottrott than my Legend, however. I didn't notice much difference hammering on the flats in terms of performance, but I'm not strong enough of a masher to do any significant noticeable torsion on a frame when I mash... I noticed the high-frequency road buzz deadened more on the Meivici than my Legend. I noticed the smoothest and most comfortable ride, though, on the Ottrott. They all are great descending bikes, however, I thought the Ottrott ST and Legend ST descended a hair better than the Meivici, and that was better than my Legend TI...

I hope this helps. I think the best thing would be to get on the bikes and formulate your own opinions.

Good luck!
-s

GBD
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
After 3 years on a C50, I purchased a Meivici.
I thought that the C50 was as good as it gets, until I rode this bike.
The geometry is close to the C50.
However, the Meivici is plusher on the road (using same components from C50) and the power transfer seems to be a lot more efficient.
You will not regret owning one.
The only regret I have is not getting it sooner then I did.
Let me know if you need additional information.

SoCalSteve
02-08-2007, 04:57 PM
I own a Legend TI; I have ridden at least 60 miles on a Fierte (with old TI seatstays), Legend-ST, a handfull of Sevens, the Ottrott ST and the Meivici.

For me the Ottrott was the best of the lot. As others have said it is difficult to compare two models of custom bikes, as they may have tubes and angles tuned for different rides, and some may fit better than others. Not to mention different components and wheels, nor the effect that the thrill of riding a cool bike can do!

Nevertheless, I'll try to compare, with my Legend TI as a benchmark. FYI: I am a lightweight, spinner, climber type. When I tested the Meivici I felt I climbed at least one gear better than on my legend. I also climbed better on the Ottrott than my Legend, however. I didn't notice much difference hammering on the flats in terms of performance, but I'm not strong enough of a masher to do any significant noticeable torsion on a frame when I mash... I noticed the high-frequency road buzz deadened more on the Meivici than my Legend. I noticed the smoothest and most comfortable ride, though, on the Ottrott. They all are great descending bikes, however, I thought the Ottrott ST and Legend ST descended a hair better than the Meivici, and that was better than my Legend TI...

I hope this helps. I think the best thing would be to get on the bikes and formulate your own opinions.

Good luck!
-s

My feelings exactly!

Steve

Skrawny
02-08-2007, 05:04 PM
GBD: beautiful bike!
-s

mike p
02-08-2007, 06:33 PM
I have ridden 2. It can be made to ride just how you want with 4 different tube options and a million geometry changes. You could test ride half dozen Meivici's and probly never test the one that was built to your specifications, just ask Jack who is going on number 3!

Serotta has learned alot about the tuning and building of an all carbon bike over the last year and as time goes on they will learn even more. If you are thinking about purchasing the "only" fully custom carbon bike on the planet you need to talk to many owners for feedback on their builds, what they like and what they would change if they bought another. Just wish I had a spare 8k laying around to plunk down on one, I wouldn't hesitate.

Serotta's Meivici is the only fully custom carbon bike on the planet? What about crumpton or parlee?

Mike

1centaur
02-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Serotta's Meivici is the only fully custom carbon bike on the planet? What about crumpton or parlee?

Mike

Nick has traditionally used stock wishbones. The general answer otherwise might be the infinite angle choices of the Meivici. For those with normal angle requests, I think Parlee qualifies and Crumpton will qualify at some point by choice and not necessity.

SPOKE
02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Has anyone actually ridden one of these?? Considering getting one but would like to hear from someone who has got one.
Bob,
i've got a couple thousand miles on mine now and am very pleased with the charactistics of the bike. mine is a 55cm ST, 55.5cm TT. the main triangle has the 8.5 carbon tube set while the chainstays are 10.5. fork is 6.5 F3. i weigh about 170-175lbs. the bike is campy record with Hyperon Ultra Clinchers. this setup can be a bit harsh but most of the harshness can be taken out by switching wheels to a standard spoked set. the best quality IMO is the way the front end of the bike works. just a very light touch on the bars to negotiate turns and the bike holds a line extremely well even though the steering is very light. this bike goes where you point it and even changing lines mid-corner isn't a problem at all. i've had the bike at speeds near 45mph without any issues at all.
about the only suggestion i'll make is be careful with chainstay selection. if you're a heavy guy or an extremely aggressive crit rider the 10.5 chainstays will be a fine selection but other wise select the 8.5 chainstays. this way you can have a degree of smoothness even while riding a very stiff wheelset plus the bike will be a bit more friendly tracking thur bumpy corners at elevated speeds.
hope this info helps with your decision. :beer:

thol01
02-09-2007, 03:00 AM
I'll pick up my bike from Cyclefit in London next Friday. I'm 195cm and almost 100kg so we used 10.5 tubes and fork to get it the way I wan't.

I'll let you know how it rides when I get it. It snow here in Sweden right know but I'm hoping it will go a way in a month or two.

Good Luck

/Thomas