PDA

View Full Version : Tire sealants - interchangeable?

pooneej
09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
That is - I have mavic tire sealant in my cosmic tubeless wheels. Three months old. I thought I was 100% puncture resistant but got my first flat today. I had no flat repair eqiupment on me because I thought nothing short of an ice pick or machete gash would cause a flat.

Anyway, I got home and its a little hole, nothing huge at all. I dont have any more Mavic sealant. Can I just use whatever the LBS has (prob stans or green slime one) in there while the old Mavic stuff still in there also?

Prob a dumb question but never had tubeless before and never used any tire sealant before. thanks

Jaybee
09-17-2020, 02:01 PM
If a tiny (not exactly sure how tiny?) hole didn't seal, it's likely that your sealant has dried up anyway so the question of compatibility would be mostly moot.

I don't see anything about Mavic and Stan's being specifically incompatible - it's likely fine.

If you really want to be sure, then pull your tires off and wipe out any excess liquid with a rag. It's good to know how to remount anyway. Then use Stans or whatever more commonly available sealant your LBS sells you. If they have Orange Seal Endurance, that's my preference.

For future flat fixing in the field you can either get a Dynaplug or similar and carry a small bottle (2oz or less) of sealant or just carry a tube. My spare tube hasn't moved in over two years.

RoosterCogset
09-17-2020, 02:05 PM
For future flat fixing in the field you can either get a Dynaplug or similar and carry a small bottle (2oz or less) of sealant or just carry a tube. My spare tube hasn't moved in over two years.

Don't forget, a pump might be useful too. :cool:

benb
09-17-2020, 02:10 PM
If they have different bass chemicals all kinds of nasty things could happen..

3 months is basically EOL for sealant and time to take it apart, clean, and reseal, so I'd just do that.

Kind of the big reason Tubeless IMO needs to be used in a use case where it has a really big benefit to make up for being a PITA. For me big fat MTB tires @ really low pressures makes the grade but most road/gravel uses don't.

Jaybee
09-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Don't forget, a pump might be useful too. :cool:

Of course. :)

Actually, for MTB tubeless use, I have a couple big canisters of CO2 that might have a chance of reseating the tire post repair. I normally don't use CO2 for waste/repeatability reasons.

benb
09-17-2020, 04:02 PM
I stopped doing tubeless even on my MTB this year as my rims are getting old and starting to cause problems with it. That was 25 psi front/30 psi back mostly.

But I never have really had any trouble sealing or mounting my tires.. I think I ran 14 years tubeless on that wheelset.

It's been totally fine without it, although I haven't MTBed much cause the trails are super busy.