PDA

View Full Version : Campy Ultra Torque Crank - first impressions

sbornia
02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Installed and rode the new Chorus crank today and thought I'd share my first impressions. Installation was easy -- actually took longer to remove my old FSA carbon crank than to install the Campy. Everything about the Campy crank exudes quality machining; in contrast, the FSA seems kind of plastic and cheap. (Please forget I said that when I post the FSA for sale ;-))

As part of this install, I also put on a new Chorus cassette and chain. There was a thread last week about Wipperman/Conex vs. Campy chains, and I had a similar experience with these parts. I had previously been using a Record cassette and Conex 1008 chain very successfully - smooth, quiet shifting, and never any problems with the chain. This time around, my new Conex chain was decidedly noisy. The Chorus narrow chain was perfect. I hadn't installed a non-master-link chain in a while, but it went ok because I went slowly and used Park's great chain tool. Definitely do not try this with a cheap, saddle-bag chain tool.

Anyway, first quick ride: 30 miles, half climbing. Crank feels stiff and smooth, and shifting is really good, with the occasional Campy clunk here and there. FWIW, this is on a IF Ti CJ, which certainly benefits from the stiffer drivetrain. Best thing about the new crank is that it makes the whole bike feel a little bit new, and that makes it even more fun to ride.

Grant McLean
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
There was some debate a while ago if you're supposed to leave the little
wire bearing keeper on there, the piece that goes into the holes in the
drive side cup to line up the two ends of the splines during install.

I'm curious if others have come to any consensus? My take it to remove
it once the two axles are screwed together, the 'keeper' serves no purpose.
Anyone else take it off.
??

g

Sean Mac
02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your new Campy crank. I hope [trust] that more people will share their impressions in the future.

I am in the process of trying to choose components for a bike that is being built. I have never had Campy components before, but I am very intrigued by the new Ultra-Torque cranks. Are these a huge improvement over previous models? In other words, is it worth the extra $ to go for the new stuff?

Simon Q
02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I left mine on. I don't notice it and until I am sure I can take it off I will leave it but thanks for raising the question.

L84dinr
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I left the retainer on the bottom bracket install; but i don't think it is necessary. I at least know where "it" is when the time comes to R&R (if there is time) the BB.

sbornia
02-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I left mine on as well. I figure it keeps dirt out of the little holes.

toaster
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Leave the retainer in.

The Ultra Torque cranks are awesome.

Jack Brunk
02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Ditto what Toaster said.
Leave it on. Campy said so.

jhcakilmer
02-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are happy with your new Campy crank. I hope [trust] that more people will share their impressions in the future.

I am in the process of trying to choose components for a bike that is being built. I have never had Campy components before, but I am very intrigued by the new Ultra-Torque cranks. Are these a huge improvement over previous models? In other words, is it worth the extra $ to go for the new stuff?

Subjectively: yes, and new component will give the rider a sense of euphoria, and energy. They will have more motivation to ride......which is always a great thing. I love the look, and setup is very nice!

Objectively: No, it will not make you go any faster. It is basically just campy sucomming to marketing pressure. Though it works beautifully, it does not give appreciatable performance gains, and I would challenge anyone to empirically prove me wrong.

Simon Q
02-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Subjectively: yes, and new component will give the rider a sense of euphoria, and energy. They will have more motivation to ride......which is always a great thing. I love the look, and setup is very nice!

Objectively: No, it will not make you go any faster. It is basically just campy sucomming to marketing pressure. Though it works beautifully, it does not give appreciatable performance gains, and I would challenge anyone to empirically prove me wrong.

Maybe becuase of the points you raise under "Subjectively" but I do feel that there is a slight performance gain. Doesn't matter how it happens, as long as it does. I looks at least I think Campy has nailed the modern crank opposition to the wall with these. I love them.

terrytnt
02-07-2007, 08:57 AM
This feedback seems to be consistent with all whom have upgraded to Campy's new UT. I currently have an older Record group... does it make sense to pay the extra bucks for the Record crank or simply save dollars with Chorus??? Given looks, I'd rather stay with Record... am I being overly consumed with looks (especially since I don't race professionally) probably!!! :confused:

jhcakilmer
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Maybe becuase of the points you raise under "Subjectively" but I do feel that there is a slight performance gain. Doesn't matter how it happens, as long as it does. I looks at least I think Campy has nailed the modern crank opposition to the wall with these. I love them.

"Subjectivity" is refering to a perception, based on a fundimental bias....ie. the new Record Utra Torque Crankset is new, and redesigned, so it makes me faster.

Just because you think it makes you faster, doesn't make it so. I bet in a single blind study, indoors, you wouldn't know the difference.

But is if does, show me the numbers, I'd love an excuse to get one

I actually have a friend who is a professor of kinesiology, and we've talked about doing some of these test.....it would be very interesting......but quite a few variables to account for.

TerryTNT:
Definitely go with Chorus, if there is any finacial restrictions. I like the look of Record more, but Chorus will preform as well, and possible have more durability....ie steel cogs will last longer then Ti cogs, among other examples.

Erik.Lazdins
02-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Will the Compact UT crankset work with a record triple front der?

Thanks for your help!

Big Dan
02-07-2007, 09:26 AM
So you guys are saying that the new Campagnolo crankset will make me faster????

That's some incredible stuff...

Marcusaurelius
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM

Velonews did a test of cranksets last year. The new dura ace crank was significantly stiffer than the other cranks. If I remember correctly Velonews came to the conclusion that a rider with strong legs would notice a difference. They also indicated that a very strong rider (world class track cyclist) puts an incredible amount of force on his (or her) crank.

Grant McLean
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Velonews did a test of cranksets last year. ...They also indicated that a very strong rider (world class track cyclist) puts an incredible amount of force on his (or her) crank.

that's why Theo Bos,the fastest man in the world rides a square taper sugino crank, right? We all love our cool toys, but most of this stuff is hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TheoBosWorldRec.jpg

g

swoop
02-07-2007, 09:57 AM
the good folks at campy insist that you "leave the retainer on or risk damaging your bike".

it's silly to expect some mechanical function from it and i find this hard to beleive... but i damn sure put mine back on.

sbornia
02-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Seat-of-the-pants performance eval:

When I switched from an alloy Record crank with square-taper BB to an FSA carbon with outboard bearings, I felt a huge difference in the apparent stiffness of the crank. Don't know if it was the carbon arms or wider-spaced bearings, or both, but it definitely changed the feel of the bike when pedaling hard. I don't think it made me a better or faster rider, but I didn't give a rat's tucus about that.

My recent switch from FSA to Campy UT has made less of a difference. The drivetrain is a little quieter and smoother, but that's likely because of the new rings, chain, and cassette. I probably could have gotten the same result by replacing the FSA BB and rings instead of going with the new Campy crank. I'll just have to ride and see if the UT holds up better than the FSA over time.

Jeff N.
02-07-2007, 02:48 PM
There was some debate a while ago if you're supposed to leave the little
wire bearing keeper on there, the piece that goes into the holes in the
drive side cup to line up the two ends of the splines during install.

I'm curious if others have come to any consensus? My take it to remove
it once the two axles are screwed together, the 'keeper' serves no purpose.
Anyone else take it off.
??

gI've got the Record UT Crankset in 175, 39/53. I left the safety clip on. Wouldn't hurt any to take it off, though. At least I can't readily see how it would. I wish Campy would stop with the little clips and s**t. Like their hubs...the little clips that cover the oil holes. Is this necessary? Just another argument in favor of DA. But I DO like the UT crankset. Performs as promised. Jeff N.

jhcakilmer
02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
that's why Theo Bos,the fastest man in the world rides a square taper sugino crank, right? We all love our cool toys, but most of this stuff is hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TheoBosWorldRec.jpg

g

That's what I'm talking about!!! Bos is a beast!! Thanks Grant!

Simon Q
02-07-2007, 04:17 PM
"Subjectivity" is refering to a perception, based on a fundimental bias....ie. the new Record Utra Torque Crankset is new, and redesigned, so it makes me faster.

Just because you think it makes you faster, doesn't make it so. I bet in a single blind study, indoors, you wouldn't know the difference.

But is if does, show me the numbers, I'd love an excuse to get one

I actually have a friend who is a professor of kinesiology, and we've talked about doing some of these test.....it would be very interesting......but quite a few variables to account for.

TerryTNT:
Definitely go with Chorus, if there is any finacial restrictions. I like the look of Record more, but Chorus will preform as well, and possible have more durability....ie steel cogs will last longer then Ti cogs, among other examples.

I often look down briefly at my cranks when under the hammer. The outboard BB and carbon baldes look like a better package and I feel better about my power transmission system, whether it is empirically better or not. The little things add up when you are under physical and mental pressure and in those situations one the mental affirmations that I like that I have the best equipment that fits me perfectly. The better my mental state, if I am thinking faster, the better I ride under extreme pressure. It may be a placaebo with regard to the cranks but I don't need a test to know that it works for me.

bigbill
02-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I went cheap with Centaur UT and really like the look. They don't make me faster, but I like them better than the FSA set they replaced. At least the Pego is all campy again. I even tossed the shimano FD clamp in favor of a black problems solvers clamp. The shimano one made my bike handle funny.

Erik.Lazdins
02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Does any other cycling components company use the phrase, "Failure to do so could result in personal injury or death" as much as Campagnolo?

I suppose removing the ring would do that too?

pdxmech13
02-07-2007, 08:53 PM
saftey pin helps the bearing float

removal will cause loss of power

and may induce explosion

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I'm with grant on this one

sgmidf
04-11-2007, 02:31 PM
I've just ordered a UT crank and BB and they haven't arrived yet. Are there tools that I need to get for the install? I see Campy has special ones for this but....
Thanks

thwart
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I used a tool at purchased from Nashbar; it worked very well. I think it was around $10 (maybe less), and was delivered to me in less than a week. Be aware that this installation requires a fair amount of torque, a torque wrench is not a bad idea.

Campagnolo tools are elegant, but very pricey... :p

Larry
04-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey Folks,

Has anyone tried the all silver/aluminum Centaur Ulta Torque Crank.
It is a modest price range. New CDA coming soon!!
Also.....will they eventually come out with a Chorus UT Crank in silver/aluminum?

Trying to save on costs.
Thanks.

thwart
04-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I have both a silver Centaur UT crank, and a black Mirage UT. No Record or Chorus---I'm way too cheap. I can't say that I think they are noticeably stiffer than the older square taper cranks, but then again my wife and daughters say I'm not a sensitive person :D

At any rate they certainly do look nice... and are a little bit lighter.

Jeff Weir
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I have been told by people that have close ties with The Pope that the Campy bb cups can be installed using the Shimano tool if you say 5 (five) Hail Mary's.

Bless you my children.

72gmc
04-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a few weeks' experience now with the '07 Centaur UT silver crank, as part of an '07 Centaur group. It's on a new frame so I can't compare before and after feel, but I'm certainly happy with the way it works and the way it looks. At first I thought the UT idea was odd but now the simplicity appeals to me.

Re the chain: I was running Wipperman on my older Centaur group and it did seem noisier than even the old 6.2mm Campy chain. I'm now running the new and narrower Chorus chain and it's crisp and quiet.

jsfoster
04-11-2007, 07:38 PM
The races on all the Campy UT BBs are Record. Bearings can be changed. Making any group equal in rotating smoothness. I have the '07 Chorus group, but I would have gotten Centaur if it had the same multi shifting ability. Centaur shifts one gear at a time (only), but it is the best value in groupos. Record is very light and is more fragile than Chorus or Centaur. It is for World class competion and has the strengths and frailties that that comes with that requirement. Strong is good for me and most of us. I love the crisppness of the shifting and the seemingly stronger feel of the UT crank setup. -Jon

zank
04-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Regarding tools, I picked up a Park BBT-19 for the cups. It has a 3/8" drive, so you can use your favoite torque wrench. The tool works for just about all outboard bearing cups and it wraps around the whole cup so it is much more difficult for the tool to slip off and booger up the cups. 35 Nm for the cups.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT%2D19

For the bolt, I use a long 10 mm hex socket mounted on my trusty Craftsman torque wrench. 42 Nm for the bolt.

Avispa
04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
So you guys are saying that the new Campagnolo crankset will make me faster????

That's some incredible stuff...

Well, bro...

You put some ceramic bearings on them puppies and you will fly!!!

:D