PDA

View Full Version : Trainer regimen help/advice needed

jrflanders
09-15-2020, 01:34 PM
I have had a very good yer for and half of cycling, and am the strongest I have ever been at 47. I am looking for a training regimen to do over the winter to 1) keep my weight down and 2) maintain or increase strength.

I have a kickr and mostly use it to ride Zwift during boring conference calls or if the weather is too wet to ride. I would like to have a 2 or 3 day a week plan for the winter, but don't really know where to start.

Does anyone have a regimen they would suggest or be willing to share? Also if there are coaches out there I would be willing to do something more formal.

foregroundmusic
09-15-2020, 01:38 PM
If you like Zwift, then the built in plans like FTP Builder or Build Me Up are pretty decent. I did the FTP Builder 6-week plan back to back and saw some good improvements and it wasn’t too taxing on my schedule as it’s 4ish hours a week.

Recently moved to Trainer Road though and have really really loved their approach to training plans and being able to move workouts on the calendar and keep it flexible for my schedule.

Clean39T
09-15-2020, 01:54 PM
Nothing beats TrainerRoad for what you are after. Hit me up if you need a referral code for a free month..

They also have a great Forum, an enormous catalog of podcast(s), and a very useful YouTube channel for learning about their approach to training and getting inspired (plus learning to race).

I'm a superfan of their product and owner/staff but have NFI in the company.

kurto
09-15-2020, 03:39 PM
Nothing beats TrainerRoad for what you are after. Hit me up if you need a referral code for a free month..

They also have a great Forum, an enormous catalog of podcast(s), and a very useful YouTube channel for learning about their approach to training and getting inspired (plus learning to race).

This is 100% correct. TrainerRoad is where it's at for structured training - I actually do most of the workouts outside, but they cannot be be beat for inside on the trainer. Their paid product (the actual app and training plan) is phenomenal, and all the free content like podcast, YouTube, etc., is awesome too. Take Clean up on his free month and don't look back.

I, too, have no involvement with the company. I'm nothing but a satisfied customer and fan who has gotten so much fitter since I've been using TR.

scoobydrew
09-15-2020, 04:12 PM
+1 on TrainerRoad on the best option for structured training. With your 2-3 days per week, you'll probably work through their low volume plans (3 workouts per week, usually 2x 60min + 1x 90min). I don't race nor do I have any aspirations to, but just wanted to get faster/stronger. I started with the low volume base plan back in April and personally have improved my overall power and endurance. To pass time, you can watch TV/movies/shows or you can also integrate TrainerRoad workouts within the Zwift interface (obviously Zwift subscription is needed).

The Zwift plans work for some, but IMO TrainerRoad has the more methodical approach to yield gains.

trener1
09-15-2020, 08:01 PM
I am a cycling coach, feel free to drop me a PM if you feel so inclined.

srode1
09-16-2020, 03:53 AM
I use Zwift when it's too cold for a good outside workout or road conditions are hazardous and I'm doing intervals that require attention because it displays power heads up and I can see time left etc also. Of course my Garmin does the same but it's just not as engaging.

I haven't tried trainer road but know quite a few people like it. I have a coach so don't see the need for trainer road. Getting a coach works well for some people who need an accountability mechanism and want to have a plan targeting specific objectives that is based on current performance. If you don't need the accountability and understand how to train already it's pretty easy to just create your own training plan and use tools like WK05 to help you analyze and improve.

FlashUNC
09-16-2020, 04:08 AM
Sufferfest.

laupsi
09-16-2020, 04:37 AM
not to be redundant, but Trainer Road is a fantastic training tool. no nonesense, lots of variety, instruction if you need it, professional insight w/video and podcasts, challenging workouts, more than enough to get you through the winter and better fit. best of luck!

jrflanders
09-16-2020, 11:55 AM
Thank you all so much - I think I am going to give Trainerroad a shot and PM the coach that chimed in here.

jrflanders
09-16-2020, 11:57 AM

Thanks! Pm'd you...