PDA

View Full Version : Why team 'cars' and not vans??

oldpotatoe
09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
In the pro races..always wagons..why not a small van? Seems more versatile, holds more, you could throw a wrench back there to fix something..just curious.

merckx
09-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Descend the Alps in a van at 110kph while ensconced within a peloton and report back

e-RICHIE
09-15-2020, 08:47 AM
There's a reg that limits the vehicle height, so that riders looking back (or forward) have a line of sight.

ps

arrange disorder

;);):p
;);):)
:cool:;):cool:

benb
09-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Much harder to get the bikes off the roof of a tall van?

Vans not that common in the European market?

Harder to handle on twisty roads at race speeds? This is no joke at pro speeds... drive a car in a race just once and it'll really open your eyes just how fast cyclists go through twisty sections of road and downhill.

Vans seem totally different over there AFAICT... smaller, so maybe not as successful because if they're smaller they don't have as many advantages over cars?

Germany_chris
09-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Much harder to get the bikes off the roof of a tall van?

Vans not that common in the European market?

Harder to handle on twisty roads at race speeds? This is no joke at pro speeds... drive a car in a race just once and it'll really open your eyes just how fast cyclists go through twisty sections of road and downhill.

Vans seem totally different over there AFAICT... smaller, so maybe not as successful because if they're smaller they don't have as many advantages over cars?

Vans are more common here than in the states

Blue Jays
09-15-2020, 09:23 AM
I just want that sweet Campagnolo van to attend distant weekend group rides in style.
The comments above about handling at speed, agility, and visibility all make sense.

FriarQuade
09-15-2020, 09:25 AM
There's a reg that limits the vehicle height, so that riders looking back (or forward) have a line of sight.

This, vans are against the rules due to height. However it's not uncommon for the officals to waive that rule, should say Lexus sponsor the race and provide SUV's to all the race officials and teams that fly in. This has happened at the big US races for years. So it's not a hard fast rule. It's also easier to see through an SUV when on a bike than to look over a wagon. So I'm not sure it's a rule that really makes a lot of sense at this point. But UCI.....

benb
09-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Vans are more common here than in the states

Hard to say what a van even is at this point.

Is a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter thing a van? Those are almost more common in the states now than the old school Chevy/Ford full size van or the VW vanagon type of van.

What about mini-vans?

Europe has tons of little tiny things Europeans might call vans but Americans might say it was an SUV.

There are all kinds of weird SUVish things somewhere in the in middle now too.

Both the vans in the OP are stylin though.

kmac
09-15-2020, 09:54 AM
last year i was lucky enough to be in one of the team dimension data cars on tourmalet day. in hindsight i'm really really really (really) happy it was not a van.

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 09:59 AM
In the pro races..always wagons..why not a small van? Seems more versatile, holds more, you could throw a wrench back there to fix something..just curious.

Why not this version? Lots of visibility. The mechanic could be comfy for when he's needed. Plenty of room for parts and spare wheels and bikes. And people could see thru it easily.

The one step further version of the Campy van above with the bubble roof.

William
09-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Why not this version? Lots of visibility. The mechanic could be comfy for when he's needed. Plenty of room for parts and spare wheels and bikes. And people could see thru it easily.

The one step further version of the Campy van above with the bubble roof.

That's reserved for the ordained race officials!!:)

W.

Germany_chris
09-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Hard to say what a van even is at this point.

Is a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter thing a van? Those are almost more common in the states now than the old school Chevy/Ford full size van or the VW vanagon type of van.

What about mini-vans?

Europe has tons of little tiny things Europeans might call vans but Americans might say it was an SUV.

There are all kinds of weird SUVish things somewhere in the in middle now too.

Both the vans in the OP are stylin though.

We have American minivans, VW transporters, MB Vito's and Vaneo's, various Fiat minivans

FlashUNC
09-15-2020, 01:03 PM
They seem to do alright with cars.

That's, what, 10 bikes on the Jumbo Visma roof?

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Tour-de-France-team-bike-racks-23.jpg

William
09-15-2020, 01:13 PM
They seem to do alright with cars.

That's, what, 10 bikes on the Jumbo Visma roof?

...and mounted with a SeaSucker vacuum cups or equiv knock-offs. That should help eleviate any concerns one might have about using a SeaSucker rack.

W.

batman1425
09-15-2020, 01:38 PM
...and mounted with a SeaSucker vacuum cups or equiv knock-offs. That should help eleviate any concerns one might have about using a SeaSucker racks

As long as they don't go through too extreme of a temperature gradient... The vac. isn't perfect and I've seen them get lose from big temperature swings - mostly when installing cold and shifting to warm.

tylercheung
09-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Descend the Alps in a van at 110kph while ensconced within a peloton and report back

No problem!
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a23110414/japanese-dodge-van-racing-dajiban/

tylercheung
09-15-2020, 01:41 PM

W.

"Only the pope can help Egan Bernal now!"

William
09-15-2020, 02:05 PM
As long as they don't go through too extreme of a temperature gradient... The vac. isn't perfect and I've seen them get lose from big temperature swings - mostly when installing cold and shifting to warm.

I'm not going to say that can't happen, but in all the testing I did with a SeaSucker rack it never once came loose. I purposely used it through a New England winter where temp swings would go from mid 50's to well below freezing and back. I also purposely mounted it on the back window of my LC with the weight of a 62cm Schwinn Peloton hanging on it pulling down on the cups, not sitting on them as they would on the roof. I also had swings in the summer from the 50's up into the 90's and back...no issues.

In another life I used vacuum cups all the time lifting and carrying huge glass panels where limb and possibly life could be in danger if they let go. I've never had a properly applied vacuum cup just let go.

Anyway, back to Van life...:banana:

W.

William
09-15-2020, 02:06 PM
"Only the pope can help Egan Bernal now!"

Only if he's wearing his Specialized Papal Mitre!:)

W.

jimoots
09-15-2020, 03:41 PM
As a couple of others have said, if you’ve seen the way these guys drive their cars in the flesh, it’s clear why a van is not suited.

Usually in the caravan there is an ambulance or two - in the race I’ve seen they’ve been a “large van” style ambulance and gosh they look sketchy and are driving on the limit, not even going as fast as the rest of the caravan.

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 05:33 PM
As a couple of others have said, if you’ve seen the way these guys drive their cars in the flesh, it’s clear why a van is not suited.

Usually in the caravan there is an ambulance or two - in the race I’ve seen they’ve been a “large van” style ambulance and gosh they look sketchy and are driving on the limit, not even going as fast as the rest of the caravan.

An ambulance just hit a rider the other day.

jimoots
09-15-2020, 05:53 PM
An ambulance just hit a rider the other day.

You got that wrong, Bob Jungels hit an ambulance

Hawker
09-15-2020, 05:54 PM

W.

HA!!! That is funky looking, none the less.

jpw
09-16-2020, 04:00 AM

Ineos Granadiers would love to be using the Grenadiers 4x4 in races, but it's too tall. They need to come up with a special edition 'mini' version.

Riders need to be able to see through the windows of team cars and caravan vehicles. That's why the ambulances and the French special forces vehicles are always to the rear.

Peter P.
09-16-2020, 06:04 AM
In the pro races..always wagons..why not a small van?

Because the waterbed takes up too much room.

oldpotatoe
09-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Geez second post. Most small vans on sedan frame and the PELOTON isn’t descending en masses at 110kph.

But a UCI ‘soft’ reg about vehicle height...10-4...