PDA

View Full Version : How can I get this compression / expander plug out of the fork steerer?

pooneej
09-15-2020, 07:56 AM
I bought a frameset off of ebay and the fork came with an expander in it but no top cap. I didnt think much of it when I got it last week until days later when starting to build it up. It looks like an older style one? I have a new FSA one I as going to put in but when I went to get it out but it seemed pretty stuck.

I havent whacked it downwards in fear it'll just drive it down more and stick it further. I tried using a j hook pick but it's not really budging.

Am I out of luck trying to get this out?

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 08:00 AM
Push the center piece down and it'll break free from the outside ring. yes, it will fall down the steerer. Then use a spoke j-bend ned to pull the ring out and the center piece will fall out when you flip it upside down.

glepore
09-15-2020, 08:00 AM
No hex below the threads ?

cmg
09-15-2020, 08:40 AM
loosen the stem clamp bolts where it attaches to steerer tube so that the stem moves around. Then as stated put a bolt that fits the plug and push it down. More than likely it is a wedge nut that has been tightened to much.

pooneej
09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
No hex below the threads ?

negative - I was hoping there was and it just needed loosening.

pooneej
09-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Push the center piece down and it'll break free from the outside ring. yes, it will fall down the steerer. Then use a spoke j-bend ned to pull the ring out and the center piece will fall out when you flip it upside down.

Will try this in a little bit - thank you!

pooneej
09-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Thank you Velocipede ! At first I was trying to just push it down with my bodyweight. Wasn't budging so I said wth and got out the ball peen hammer and whacked on it - came undone right quick that way !!!

Veloo
09-15-2020, 09:39 AM
How does this type of expander plug even work?

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Thank you Velocipede ! At first I was trying to just push it down with my bodyweight. Wasn't budging so I said wth and got out the ball peen hammer and whacked on it - came undone right quick that way !!!

Yeah, these wedge in really tight. You need to smack it hard sometimes. But the spoke trick is great for puling out the ring. Glad you got it.

The center wedge is pulled up by the preload bolt and the ring expands to the inside of the steerer. Nothing different than the others really.

pooneej
09-15-2020, 09:44 AM

This is all there was with the frameset. The other pieces I have no idea where or how they would make this plug work lol.

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 09:46 AM

This is all there was with the frameset. The other pieces I have no idea where or how they would make this plug work lol.

This is what the full piece looks like. You are missing a couple pieces. And no, they aren't sold separately. You need the threaded upper section and the topcap/preload piece in black.

pooneej
09-15-2020, 10:04 AM
It definitely had to come out without the other pieces - and me trying to yank up on it with a j hook pick would have been futile. As I see how the wedge as its pulled up (by the top cap screw) just expands the ring.

thanks again! relief !!!! I was little worried this was gonna be bad .

Velocipede
09-15-2020, 10:14 AM
It definitely had to come out without the other pieces - and me trying to yank up on it with a j hook pick would have been futile. As I see how the wedge as its pulled up (by the top cap screw) just expands the ring.

thanks again! relief !!!! I was little worried this was gonna be bad .

No, with the other pieces, you still would've had to do it the way I described. It's just the way that design is. It's one reason they went away from it.
But yeah, just pulling up is futile. At least till you pop the wedge free anyways.