PDA

View Full Version : Delta's New Bike Bag Rules - Any Real World Experience?

jwin
09-14-2020, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has some real world experience with Delta's new bike rule change?

Delta PR: https://news.delta.com/checked-sporting-equipment-will-fly-less-delta

The big question everyone had asked when they made this change is whether Delta will charge the oversized fee, since they consider it normal luggage instead of sporting equipment now. Their website makes clear that they will charge the overweight fee, but is unclear about the oversize fee. It's near impossible to get within the oversize limits!

https://i.ibb.co/2vBHG2p/Screen-Shot-2020-09-14-at-6-04-35-PM.png (https://ibb.co/9bjSQXd)

Kyle h
09-14-2020, 08:17 PM
No experience but my reading of this is that bike bags are subject to normal luggage in both fees and size so while you can pay the $30/bag fee, if it is over the bag size 62in or whatever, then you get an oversized bag fee. You just no longer get hit with the flat rate bike fee of $200 or whatever.

htwoopup
09-14-2020, 08:22 PM
I brought my Seven Evergreen in my Buxum aluminum box and my wife brought her Spesh in its Buxum. On the way out to LAX, one bike was weighed and under the 50 pounds. They didn’t weigh the other. So it was great...just an extra bag like an extra suitcase each charge. On the way back I threw in my NEW open end wrench into one of the boxes because on the way out I had the old one in my carryon and TSA confiscated it because they felt it could be used as a weapon. They weighed both bags and one came in 2 pounds over the limit so they hit me with an overweight charge which was a lot. It still was cheaper than using ship bikes or bike flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donalrey
09-14-2020, 08:47 PM
I flew Delta last month to visit family with my bike. Weird experience flying during these times but anyways my partner and I both brought our bikes. We paid $30 each to check it in. We both have the Pika bike bags.

FlashUNC
09-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Flew with a bike right after the policy change, and they treated it just like an extra bag. Post Carry Co Transfer Case.

tctyres
09-14-2020, 09:28 PM
I flew with a bike on Delta a little over a month ago from NYC-JFK to LAX. Simultaneously, I put a bike through Shipbikes with Fedex. For the Delta flight, I used my old Nashbar bag with the thinnest of padding and reinforced it with cardboard and bubble wrap. The Fedex bike was shipped in a box with padding from NYC to LA.

Delta carefully handled the bag. It arrived on time, and in good shape. There were a few scuffs on the outside where the larger pieces rubbed as it went down the conveyor belt.

The Fedex box was beat to hell, but luckily only a bottle cage was bent though the handlebar tape was messed up. It was the worst shipping job that I've seen in a long time. I didn't complain, opting for grin and bear it given the limited damage to the bike.

My reasoning for the service is that shipping companies are completely stressed right now. On the contrary, airlines are fighting to hold their jobs with low customer volumes. JFK airport was a shadow of itself: creepy-empty. I asked the x-ray DHS officers if this was typical, and they said it was.

Edit: Delta handled the bike like a bag -- no additional fees beyond baggage.

jwin
09-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the updates! I contacted Delta directly and they confirmed that there is no oversize fee between 62-115 linear inches. Bikes over 115 linear inches or 100 lbs will not be accepted. Standard overweight fees apply (50lbs normal, 70lbs for Medallion Status).

Wish I was Medallion! Thanks everyone for your feedback, and hopefully this helps someone else out in the future.

eddief
09-15-2020, 12:55 PM
You know like the one a new bike is shipped in on the way to a bike shop?

C40_guy
09-15-2020, 01:03 PM
On the way back I threw in my NEW open end wrench into one of the boxes because on the way out I had the old one in my carryon and TSA confiscated it because they felt it could be used as a weapon.

Learned that the hard way...lost a beautiful, large pedal wrench to TSA a few years ago.

tctyres
09-15-2020, 02:28 PM
You know like the one a new bike is shipped in on the way to a bike shop?

I shipped 4 bikes recently. There is no "standard" size. They are all different depending on the type and size of the frame: a 50, 56, and 62 cm road bike each get shipped in different sized boxes. Ideally, you'd want the smallest sized box that fits your bike.

If I were to guess off the top of my head, I'd say 8"-10" is standard width and 25"-30" is standard height. Length can vary tremendously, from 42" to 60".

jwin
09-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Learned that the hard way...lost a beautiful, large pedal wrench to TSA a few years ago.

Was that in checked baggage or carry on? I try to take no tools on my carry on for that reason.

tctyres
09-16-2020, 01:00 PM
Was that in checked baggage or carry on? I try to take no tools on my carry on for that reason.

The last thing I had confiscated was a nice Swiss Army knife. I think it was about a year before 9/11. I haven't carried a pocket knife since then despite owning 3 or 4. I just don't want it confiscated. The logic of the officer was that I could use it to take apart the plane. OK. I guess I could, but it would take a long time. I'm pretty careful on tools now. They all go in the bike bag, preferably wrapped in a roll with bubble wrap on the outside to prevent them from denting or damaging the bike.