PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ecamper or RTT for the Element?

William
09-14-2020, 02:01 PM
Now that we are living back in the PNW again we are doing and planning more trips around the state. I used to do a lot of hiking and camping when I was younger and we also did a lot as a family. Looking to continue but I'll be honest, my back just isn't partial to sleeping on the ground anymore. A skateboard accident as a teen really messed up my back and it has come and gone over the years ever since. Never from doing strenuos exercise, sport, or martial arts, it always happenes from some little movement or twist when I'm doing next to nothing. How I sleep on it can exacerbate things so a little cusion is generally needed.

Anyway, spending more time out in nature is the goal so I was thinking of ways to make it a little more comfortable....then I rememberd Ecamper.

The Element has tons of room and it's an extremely reliable vehicle. We could go roof-top tent, but a good one is going to get up there in price as well, plus milage suffers more and you still need a place to store it when you aren't using it. The Ecamper has a hard shell and tucks away when not in use. It also won't effect gas milage as much as a RTT.

Anyone ever had this done or know anyone that has? Comments on this vs RTT's appreciated.

The founder apprently was a VW van guy for years and traveled all over until his rig needed a total rebuild and restoration. Due to the age of VW vans and the fact that they aren't sold in the US anymore spurred him to find other options. The Element was the initial focus but now they do Jeeps and Ford Transits as well.

https://ursaminorvehicles.com

W.

crownjewelwl
09-14-2020, 02:31 PM
that ecamper looks nice but it is pretty spendy! not sure how much you plan on using it, but the fuel efficiency argument probably doesnt work unless you use it all the time!

i just order a GFC superlite...supposed to be delivered in November...only weights 80lbs...obviously havent used it yet, but it is similar in design to other gfc rtts that get reviewed well (only with lighter materials)

scopes
09-14-2020, 03:15 PM
I met a guy on the ferry that had an Element with an Ecamper modification.

While he did enjoy it, his sentiment was that he would not do it again. That was a couple years ago and now with the new roof top tent options I'm sure he would feel even stronger about his conversion.

His main points of concern were that it was quite expensive to do and would limit the resale of his vehicle.

I have a friend with one of these, it is awesome and would be my first choice for a RTT.
https://gofastcampers.com/tents/

lucieli
09-14-2020, 03:34 PM
What about a lightweight trailer like a Scamp or T@G?

ORMojo
09-14-2020, 04:01 PM

I tend to agree, this is what I've been gravitating to, either a teardrop or folding camper trailer. With that GFC RTT starting at $4,200, and something like the Oregon Trail'r Do-Drop teardrop starting at $6,200, I like the idea of the trailer a lot more.

JAGI410
09-14-2020, 04:18 PM
I'd rather get a van with a quality queen mattress and never worry about my aching back.

The Ecamper is pretty cool, and I really like Elements, but that money buys a decent van which will be more versatile.

Kirk007
09-14-2020, 04:29 PM
We have an Element that I've thought about doing this (both options). I've passed so far. My son made a wooden platform for the back of the element that works as a bed with storage space underneath (or on top when not sleeping) which combined with a tailgate attaching tent and a couple of cots doesn't work to bad. Important note - if you are 6'3" or taller forget about using an internal platform bed, there's just not enough length. I would wonder about this on the ecamper platform. Also, being of a certain age, being up top would be a pita for nighttime relief although I guess with some ingenuity a system could be rigged to take care of this.

The one thing that might make me move on from the Element though is the limited travel of the driver seat. I need to look for a conversion or something for the seat rails to see if I can get more leg room. Get's pretty cramped on long drives.

ORMojo
09-14-2020, 04:31 PM
I'd rather get a van with a quality queen mattress and never worry about my aching back.

The Ecamper is pretty cool, and I really like Elements, but that money buys a decent van which will be more versatile.

I've also thought about the van option, but what doesn't pencil out for me is the ongoing annual licensing/registration/insurance cost of an additional motor vehicle.

mistermo
09-14-2020, 04:33 PM
I've followed these eCampers and came close a couple years ago. As a kid, in the 1970s, I'd go camping with my grandparents in PacNW, Oregon specifically. They had a VW camper van and it was my delight to sleep in the pop up roof tent of the camper van. I'm pretty sure the lure of the eCampers was nostalgia, since they don't make sense to me in most other ways. Most significantly, in my 50s, I get up a couple times during the night to take a leak. I definitely don't want the hassle of climbing down from up there. I drink more beer when I'm camping too.

I decided this was a nifty, minimalist, super functional way to camp and haul gear: Sylvansport Go (https://www.sylvansport.com/go/)

JAGI410
09-14-2020, 04:36 PM
I've also thought about the van option, but what doesn't pencil out for me is the ongoing annual licensing/registration/insurance cost of an additional motor vehicle.

If you build it right, it'll make a fine daily driver and doesn't need to be a toy that stays parked most of the time. I don't need to drive much these days, but my van is what I reach for most of the time.

William
09-14-2020, 04:38 PM
We have an Element that I've thought about doing this (both options). I've passed so far. My son made a wooden platform for the back of the element that works as a bed with storage space underneath (or on top when not sleeping) which combined with a tailgate attaching tent and a couple of cots doesn't work to bad. Important note - if you are 6'3" or taller forget about using an internal platform bed, there's just not enough length. I would wonder about this on the ecamper platform. Also, being of a certain age, being up top would be a pita for nighttime relief although I guess with some ingenuity a system could be rigged to take care of this.

The one thing that might make me move on from the Element though is the limited travel of the driver seat. I need to look for a conversion or something for the seat rails to see if I can get more leg room. Get's pretty cramped on long drives.

You must have some long legs!! At 6' 5-6" I don't have an issue driving ours. I will preface that by saying after 6+ hours driving I do start wishing for a little more room but otherwise no problem.

The Ecamper is supposed to be 7 feet long and four feet+ wide. I missed out on the tent & awning that attaches to the back of the Element. I believe the aren't made anymore (but I could be wrong on that).

I had not considered that yet, but I will look into it. I do like the all in one nature if the Ecamper but I do agree it's a bit spendy to add onto an Element.

The back log on some of the GFC offerings is pretty long...must be popular.

W.