PDA

View Full Version : Colnago Master

dvnzzz
09-14-2020, 09:22 AM
Saw this for sale at a good price (~730USD) around my neighborhood and went to pick it up. Got it for my dad who, like me, has recently been interested in vintage steel bikes as well. :banana:

So now, I know its a resprayed/refinished frame, but I wouldn't call the finishing poor. There's a bit of that cromovelato look, though there are some orange peel/imperfections around. This color has got some Wilier Triestina vibes going on!

Colnago master's are pretty expensive locally and this was by far the cheapest I have seen, with a decent finish. Quality-wise, I can see why Colnagos of that era are so well revered. Just holding the tubes just feels of quality.

What are your thoughts? Is the heritage of this frame marred by the unoriginal paintwork? I'm not really that picky, just want to know if this is worth to build up, or just move on and find something better.

As always, glad to hear what you experienced folks have to say :)

Album: https://dalvzzzpics.tumblr.com/post/629242360451203072

stephenmarklay
09-14-2020, 09:23 AM
The paint is unique. It is a good looking bike for sure.

tuscanyswe
09-14-2020, 09:48 AM
Paint is subjective. Do you like it? If so keep it. If u are bit meh than sell and find one u will cherish.

Personally i think it looks cool

Steve in SLO
09-14-2020, 11:02 AM
The paint looks cool, and it certainly won’t change the ride characteristics so you will get the real steel experience from this classic.

Spaghetti Legs
09-14-2020, 11:03 AM
I like it. I have seen one or two older Colnagos, Super or Mexico maybe, with similar paint scheme. I wouldn't get too worried about some paint imperfections on a 30 year old classic. If the chrome is in good shape, build it up, ride it and have fun!

Joel
09-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Definitely a keeper!

I have a Master and really like it.

At least on mine, the fit really is a bit different than the others in the fleet. The adage about Colnago's being 'long' and 'low' is true for the Master I have.

You may want to have your dad spend some time taking careful measurements so it fits well once it's built up.

Enjoy!

jamesdak
09-14-2020, 11:42 AM
Looks nicer than the Super I just picked up. I say keep it!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/171034038.jpg

fxyris
09-14-2020, 07:24 PM
Hey a fellow member from my neighbourhood! I saw it on Carousell too and was trying to persuade a buddy that it would fit him perfectly but you got there first.

Congratz on a score, it looks to be in immaculate condition and I cant wait to see your build!

retropean
09-14-2020, 09:04 PM
Nice, what are you planning component wise for the build?

wallymann
09-14-2020, 09:15 PM
I like it. fairly unique color.

while not perfect, I guarantee the finish is higher quality than the original!

if you like it, rock it!

oldpotatoe
09-15-2020, 06:59 AM
What are your thoughts? Is the heritage of this frame marred by the unoriginal paintwork? I'm not really that picky, just want to know if this is worth to build up, or just move on and find something better.

Better? For $730? YGBSM..GREAT find and nice rig!! Take a look at Colnago Masters(NOT Master-Lite) on the bay..:eek::eek:

Have your pops ride the snot out of it..

dvnzzz
09-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Hey a fellow member from my neighbourhood! I saw it on Carousell too and was trying to persuade a buddy that it would fit him perfectly but you got there first.

Congratz on a score, it looks to be in immaculate condition and I cant wait to see your build!

Hey hey! Was skeptical about the frame but at the price, I just decided to go down and get it. :)

dvnzzz
09-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Dad has assumed ownership of this piece haha, and has tasked me to find campy components. And so the search begins... :banana:

soulspinner
09-15-2020, 07:21 AM
keep that thing.

peanutgallery
09-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Ahh ....the heady days of quick release paint

I like it. fairly unique color.

while not perfect, I guarantee the finish is higher quality than the original!

if you like it, rock it!