PDA

View Full Version : Split crown races

Gsinill
09-13-2020, 08:49 PM
I just installed a Velo Orange Grand Cru treadless HS (very nice BTW) and it's the first time I came across a split race.
Did some read up and it sounds like there is no downside when used with a sealed cartridge headset.
If this is the case, why don't other manufacturers like CK or Cane Creek follow?

peanutgallery
09-13-2020, 08:57 PM
The nice part is that you can install and remove without force or scratches, the bad is that they can get a little dirty and creaky...leading to some maintenance now and again

The specialized split race works well with many cane creek headsets. Chris Kings are made with tinkerbell and faerie dust...which means compatibility with nothing

Velocipede
09-13-2020, 09:02 PM
I just installed a Velo Orange Grand Cru treadless HS (very nice BTW) and it's the first time I came across a split race.
Did some read up and it sounds like there is no downside when used with a sealed cartridge headset.
If this is the case, why don't other manufacturers like CK or Cane Creek follow?

Why aren't CK and CC doing split crown races? Great question. I can ask. I know White, KCNC, Arctos, Columbus and some others are doing them too. It's a really nice thing to have. The White ones have a keyway so it's not just a straight split. I like the White ones a lot.

cmg
09-13-2020, 09:38 PM
fork crown races should be split as well. makes installation easier.

ultraman6970
09-14-2020, 12:57 AM
I had a bike with a split crown race, never had a problem with it. ... some guys just go and split the crown race with a dremel and install them like that. Obviously dont do such a thing with a loose balls headset :D

heartattackride
09-14-2020, 01:20 AM
A split race is so nice. Another great advancement :) I’ve noticed on a few MTB forks (can’t remember which brand) have a little divot molded/machined just under the crown race, I assume it’s to make the race easier to remove by gently tapping it?