PDA

View Full Version : Dropped brand new carbon seat post on pavement

drejb
09-13-2020, 07:44 PM
Pretty new to all things carbon. Was carrying a new FSA SLK post while juggling groceries and dropped it on pavement

This may be an extremely stupid question but does this ruin the structural integrity of the carbon? Impact that wasn’t intended.

Don’t want a jagged busted post to stab me in the arse down the road

Thanks

ridethecliche
09-13-2020, 07:50 PM
Depends

fa63
09-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Unlikely; carbon is tougher than most think. Is there any visible damage?

Mark McM
09-13-2020, 08:04 PM
Of course you'll want to examine the seat post closely, but it is unlikely that the post has more than cosmetic damage. The seat post fell only with the force of its own weight, and seat posts are designed to handle forces much larger than their own weight.

drejb
09-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Unlikely; carbon is tougher than most think. Is there any visible damage?

No visible damage from what I can see

prototoast
09-13-2020, 08:17 PM
It is almost certainly fine. Carbon is tougher than people think and seatposts are usually thicker tubes than frames. Plus, when it fell, the impact was likely on the bottom which takes no forces, or the top, which is alloy.

Black Dog
09-13-2020, 08:22 PM
If you can't see any damage it is almost certainly safe to ride. Posts are very strong. Ride it with confidence.

fignon's barber
09-14-2020, 07:42 AM
If you can't see visible damage, it's almost certainly fine. Carbon posts are tough. Think of all the force it takes when a rider hits a bump or pothole.

pjbaz
09-14-2020, 07:44 AM
I have no idea if this is how you're supposed to do a quick check, but I tap cf and listen for different noises

dddd
09-14-2020, 03:33 PM
I was thinking how far that a carbon post would have to free-fall onto concrete in order to incur damage(?).

Perhaps there is no free-fall velocity that could be achieved sufficient to damage it structurally(?).

pdmtong
09-14-2020, 03:55 PM
assuming it landed on flat pavement, then it either hit at the insertion end, the clamp head, or both insertion end and clamp head. in all three cases the shaft body was not impacted so you should be good.

if you dropped it in such a way the shaft took a point impact, that might be bad but sounds like you did not.