PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Paceline “Gardening” Thread

XXtwindad
09-13-2020, 03:37 PM
Recently read this in the NYT: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/opinion/coronavirus-home-improvement.amp.html

Whatever the opposite of a “green thumb” is ... that’s what I have. But I want a fun and active learning project I can do with my daughters. We live in the Oakland Hills, where it’s usually fairly warm (and occasionally smoky). I’ve attached pictures of the enclosed deck, so probably deer proof. I’m not sure about other critters.

Any experienced gardeners here who can give me some advice? Herbs, annuals, etc. Basically something a complete novice can enjoy doing with his daughters. Also, any advice on planter boxes etc would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. for inspirational purposes, I’d love to see what the Paceline Community has done with their gardens. Pics!

OtayBW
09-13-2020, 04:02 PM
This has gotten to take up entirely too muchof my time.....

Hilltopperny
09-13-2020, 04:14 PM
I typically build my garden boxes out of reclaimed barn wood or rough cut lumber. Not always the prettiest, but cheap and efficient. This year we planted some tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli in them. My two year old son likes to help water them with the garden hose.

Tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli are pretty hardy plants and really only need water and sunlight. Just be sure to space them out properly and not to overcrowd them and you will get to harvest plenty. We also grew micro greens and lettuce which will regenerate if you clip them and do not allow them to go to seed. Seeing as you have a raised deck that will keep most critters away. We had some of our crops eaten by ground hogs and our chickens have been poaching some of our grape tomatoes.

We have some very old and large blueberry bushes, black caps and blackberry bushes that grow on the property as well. The kids love going out getting a snack while they are producing. I also planted some apple and peach trees last year. Only three apples this year, but within the next couple of years there should be a reasonable amount of fruit!

paredown
09-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Lovely!

I have been too consumed with house renovations to do much with our yard, but I love that picture of what you have done.

My wife picked up a Reader's Digest gardening book (started in the '70s; last printing in the 1990s) and I was really struck by the way in which they thought that it was normal to really plan a full yard/garden as a combination of hardscape, plantings and structure--it seems very rare where we live.

Most people hire the blow 'n go guys to maintain their lawns, try to keep the 'shrub it up' plantings alive that were there when they purchased their house. Not much creativity or effort going into most yards it seems.

My long-time favorite gardening book is 'The Garden Primer' by Barbara Damrosch, and 'The square Foot Garden' (old)--but has good information on raised bed planting/intensive yield.

My next outdoor project is to finish the entrance way sidewalk and some curbing on the front of the house--and the back will require a fencing solution to keep the deer out before I can do much planting.

echappist
09-13-2020, 04:51 PM
I typically build my garden boxes out of reclaimed barn wood or rough cut lumber. Not always the prettiest, but cheap and efficient. This year we planted some tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli in them. My two year old son likes to help water them with the garden hose.

Tomatoes, cabbage and broccoli are pretty hardy plants and really only need water and sunlight. Just be sure to space them out properly and not to overcrowd them and you will get to harvest plenty. We also grew micro greens and lettuce which will regenerate if you clip them and do not allow them to go to seed. Seeing as you have a raised deck that will keep most critters away. We had some of our crops eaten by ground hogs and our chickens have been poaching some of our grape tomatoes.

We have some very old and large blueberry bushes, black caps and blackberry bushes that grow on the property as well. The kids love going out getting a snack while they are producing. I also planted some apple and peach trees last year. Only three apples this year, but within the next couple of years there should be a reasonable amount of fruit!

I think you probably win the Paceline gardening prize

Our squash got wiped out by the local critters... Not sure what we'll plant next year. Probably just the really aromatic stuff that critters don't like (e.g. chives, fennel, leeks, etc)

Did you do most of that yourself?

cgolvin
09-13-2020, 05:01 PM
My wife has the green thumb, I am just the manual laborer.
Early on (we've been in the house for ~23 years) she planted fruit trees along the perimeter of our back yard. The panorama shot below shows her handiwork (the entire garden), from left to right:

Fig
Lemon
Kumquat
Pomegranate
Blood Orange
Avocado (ok, that was already there)
Persimmon

Even though these have led to an ongoing war with the rodents, it's a pleasure to have the bounty and our kids not only got used to it but learned a lot of biology as a result. Of course you'll have to choose species for your climate, but definitely recommend.

echappist
09-13-2020, 05:44 PM
My wife has the green thumb, I am just the manual laborer.
Early on (we've been in the house for ~23 years) she planted fruit trees along the perimeter of our back yard. The panorama shot below shows her handiwork (the entire garden), from left to right:

Fig
Lemon
Kumquat
Pomegranate
Blood Orange
Avocado (ok, that was already there)
Persimmon

Even though these have led to an ongoing war with the rodents, it's a pleasure to have the bounty and our kids not only got used to it but learned a lot of biology as a result. Of course you'll have to choose species for your climate, but definitely recommend.

I want to hear more about your battle with rodents. They seem like the ones that will eat up an entire year's crop in just a few days.

Also, is Boss Basin Boston? If so, I'm surprised that warm climate trees such as figs and persimmon could grow so well

OtayBW
09-13-2020, 06:05 PM
Lovely!

I think you probably win the Paceline gardening prize....Did you do most of that yourself?
I'm sorry guys. I was only pulling your leg(s)...:eek:. Those pics are from La Alhambra in Granada, Spain. A very impressive and memorable place. About the best I can do gardening-wise here lately is to erect a small fence around my landscaped front yard to keep the deer from eating the echinacea and phlox. :D
But do go see the La Alhambra if you ever get the chance. Spend some time in Granada walking around and drinking local table red. Nice place!

Toeclips
09-13-2020, 06:24 PM
George Harrison said that to be a gardener you need a back of steel with a hinge attached

chismog
09-13-2020, 07:20 PM
George Harrison said that to be a gardener you need a back of steel with a hinge attached

This is true. I love to garden and have spent much time over the past year landscaping our backyard. My back has paid dearly.

Fortunately, cycling seems to be a good therapy. :banana:

Toeclips
09-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Cycling is good therapy

Toddtwenty2
09-13-2020, 09:14 PM
La Alhambra is a truly breathtaking place. I love Spain - the history is immense and the people are warm, personable, and just plain sweet.

By far, my favorite gardening books, are Edible Forest Gardens by Dave Jacke and Eric Toensmeier. The books are practical theory in how to setup ecologically functional systems, rather than constantly battling against what natural systems are designed to do. We don't have a large yard, but I have been building vertically with vines, espaliering trees, as well as building beautifully functioning ecosystems with nitrogen fixers and dynamic accumulators. I cannot recommend this enough in terms of creating a more simple, cohesive relationship with you and your garden.

https://www.amazon.com/Edible-Forest-Gardens-2-set/dp/1890132608

cgolvin
09-13-2020, 10:44 PM
I want to hear more about your battle with rodents. They seem like the ones that will eat up an entire year's crop in just a few days.

Also, is Boss Basin Boston? If so, I'm surprised that warm climate trees such as figs and persimmon could grow so well

There’s a thread where I asked for advice about weaponry to defend against the squirrels. They go after everything but what’s exasperating is that they barely leave any for us, especially the pomegranates, so we end up picking them before they’re fully ripe in order to get something rather than nothing.

Boss basin == Los Angeles

gngroup
09-13-2020, 10:54 PM

+1 for George and gardening!

echappist
09-13-2020, 11:21 PM
There’s a thread where I asked for advice about weaponry to defend against the squirrels. They go after everything but what’s exasperating is that they barely leave any for us, especially the pomegranates, so we end up picking them before they’re fully ripe in order to get something rather than nothing.

Boss basin == Los Angeles

Ah yes, of course. I vaguely recall someone in CA having to fend off large rodents who apparently nested in the trees. Just didnt make the connection with your post.

Makes a lot more sense :)