PDA

View Full Version : Team Ineos, what happened?

zmalwo
09-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Bernal lost over 7 minutes today, how on earth did this happen? is the doping game back or?

72gmc
09-13-2020, 03:24 PM
Less team strength
Less management interest without a leader the UK can claim?
Less time to plan TUEs?

peanutgallery
09-13-2020, 03:25 PM
Prince Harry abdicated and England lost it's mojo

Seamus
09-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Team is not the usual Sky/Ineos level and up against a very strong Jumbo Visma squad. Absence of Nicholas Portal as DS too.

There is conjecture Bernal is overtrained with lots of big rides during lockdown. Also, the back injury and pulling out of the Dauphiné seems to be more of a factor. He just doesn’t look to have anywhere near the same freshness or pop as last year.

If you are cynical, the level of the Slovenians(and the tour pace in general), the absence of doping protocols during COVID, and the background of the Operation Aderlass investigation might give you a little pause. But that’s Pro Cycling.

batman1425
09-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Given the global climate right now, I don't think it's reasonable to hold teams or athletes to their previous performance standards. Not that the playing field has ever been "level" but there are a lot of unusual circumstances. Differing levels of quarantine and lockdown requirements depending on location which have had impacts on training and racing, supply chain disruptions, travel restrictions, etc. Different challenges, some of which aren't ones you can fix with budgets. The formula that produced wins last year isn't what will generate wins this year and some things are outside of the teams and riders control.

mflaherty37
09-13-2020, 04:55 PM
Yeah probably didn’t want to take a blood transfusion Bernal lost over 7 minutes today, how on earth did this happen? is the doping game back or?

ddtn
09-13-2020, 05:03 PM
It's a combination of Ineos misfiring and Jumbo being freakishly strong. It's not just Roglic – if they keep it up, the bumblebee train will go down in history as one of the all time greats.

Pogacar looks like he can steal it though.

Another theory about Ineos: correct me if I'm wrong (I didn't do any research), racing and normal life resumed on the continent a bit earlier than in the UK. Most of the EU-based guys have had more races and mileage than guys from elsewhere. That's got to be a factor? No idea where Bernal was locked down though, definitely not where he needed to be.

Alaska Mike
09-13-2020, 05:07 PM
I'm suspicious of pretty much every pro these days, but it wasn't like Bernal was dropped by just one or two guys- it was pretty much everyone and their domestiques. He's sick (COVID?), hurt (back), overtrained, undertrained, or just outclassed.

I'm glad there's a new set of teams at the top this year. It makes it much more interesting, because, well, I frankly have tuned out on the Tour during the Sky era.

Bici-Sonora
09-13-2020, 05:11 PM
No idea where Bernal was locked down though, definitely not where he needed to be.

Bernal was in Monaco—not sure about the rest of Ineos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
09-13-2020, 05:32 PM
R.I.P Nico Portal.

Seamus
09-13-2020, 05:35 PM
Bernal was in Columbia during a good part of lockdown:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/colombian-riders-to-travel-to-europe-on-charter-flight-on-sunday/

sg8357
09-13-2020, 06:26 PM
Bernal lost over 7 minutes today, how on earth did this happen? is the doping game back or?

Mechanic failed to charge the batteries, it happens.:)

Vientomas
09-13-2020, 06:53 PM
New sponsor said no more jiffy bags.

untarded
09-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Brexit

Neves
09-13-2020, 09:12 PM
TBH, I'm really enjoying how the green jersey racing is effecting the whole race.

untarded
09-13-2020, 09:54 PM
TBH, I'm really enjoying how the green jersey racing is effecting the whole race.

I'm with you here. I can't remember the last time it's had this type impact on the overall race.

jlwdm
09-13-2020, 10:52 PM
Team Ineos came into the TDF with a weak team. Not that it mattered as there was nothing the team could do for him today.

Bernal has not looked good the entire Tour. Training? I think we will see a lot of abnormal performances in all sports this year because of COVID. Training and schedules were thrown off.

Is he injured or sick? It is not like he got dropped near the end by the best climbers. He struggled and his last couple of support riders had to go slow to stick with him. Pogacar and Roglic only gained a little time at the end from some riders who are not that great. Bernal just did not have it.

Jeff

trener1
09-14-2020, 07:32 AM
Why does everything have ti devolve into drugs suspicion.
Bernal flat out sucked yesterday.
When he was dropped there were easily still like 15 guys in the group, 3 from Bahrain, 2 from Trek, 2 from Movistar and a few others as well
It's not like it was just Jumbo and no one else.

mflaherty37
09-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Because there is still no test for blood transfusions. Plus I just finished Hamilton’s and Miller’s books. Never trust a fart.
Why does everything have ti devolve into drugs suspicion.
Bernal flat out sucked yesterday.
When he was dropped there were easily still like 15 guys in the group, 3 from Bahrain, 2 from Trek, 2 from Movistar and a few others as well
It's not like it was just Jumbo and no one else.

jpw
09-14-2020, 08:54 AM
New owner.
Froome crash.
Poels leaving.
Portal dying.
Thomas wanting protected status.
Covid 19 & lockdown.

While elsewhere...

...a rider out sprinting sprinters and out climbing climbers, with not a hint of a question mark about that in the media.

...and Slovenia suddenly becoming the place to be from to win GTs. Very normal and unquestionable.

tctyres
09-14-2020, 11:45 AM
While elsewhere...

...a rider out sprinting sprinters and out climbing climbers, with not a hint of a question mark about that in the media.

...and Slovenia suddenly becoming the pace to be from to win GTs. Very normal and unquestionable.

:rolleyes:

The water in Slovenia is pure, blue, and magical. It cascades down rocks, dissolving performance enhancing nutrients known only to that part of the world.

Spdntrxi
09-14-2020, 11:53 AM
you are all forgetting Jumbo Vismo is backed by a lottery :cool:

Fixed
09-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Given the global climate right now, I don't think it's reasonable to hold teams or athletes to their previous performance standards. Not that the playing field has ever been "level" but there are a lot of unusual circumstances. Differing levels of quarantine and lockdown requirements depending on location which have had impacts on training and racing, supply chain disruptions, travel restrictions, etc. Different challenges, some of which aren't ones you can fix with budgets. The formula that produced wins last year isn't what will generate wins this year and some things are outside of the teams and riders control.

This +1
Columbia was locked down later and longer than Europe
Cheers.