PDA

View Full Version : Water purification for Bikepacking

Fixed
09-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Anyone use one I am planning on some longer rides when I heal up
Cheers

arimajol
09-13-2020, 11:59 AM
I use a Katadyn pump filter when backpacking. No complaints.

gdw
09-13-2020, 12:48 PM
It depends......the Sawyer Mini is a decent system that doesn't take up much room and is light. If you're just doing overnighters the iodine type pills are adequate if you're not dealing with silty water sources. The more elaborate pump type products are excellent but heavy and bulky. They are a great choice for longer excursions or ones where you need to filter large amounts of water.

zambenini
09-13-2020, 01:02 PM
I have never bikepacked but I have toured and backpacked and led a lot of backpacking trips. If you think you'll be exploring areas with access to clear flowing water, and you aren't trying to make something potable out of mud, and you don't have thyroid issues, and you aren't gone for more than four or five days, then on such trips I opt for iodine tabs. Much more convenient.

I have a nice filter, too. It's fine, but bulky and heavy enough I wouldn't want to carry it in my bike gear, or if I was solo backpacking. Hand pump filters IMO are the kind of thing you want to send with a bunch of the 9th graders in your group down to the water source to have them fill everyone's bottles. The pumping, the space in the pack, etc.

If I were solo or going light, I'd go iodine or UV.

DaveInATX
09-13-2020, 01:08 PM
I have used the katadyn befree and the Sawyer squeeze and both have worked well if the water is relatively clear. If the water has a lot of particulates the katadyn flow rate slowed significantly, but it was easy to clean with just a few shakes. When the Sawyer needs to be cleaned if has to be back flushed with either a syringe or another bottle with clean water.

marciero
09-13-2020, 02:21 PM
The Sawyer mini is standard gear for my long rides and for bikepacking. It is very light and portable, and is quick and easy to fill a water bottle by squeezing the pouch. I typically leave the backflow cleaning syringe at home. If you go this route I advise getting extra pouches, which are inexpensive, as they are sort of flimsy. Mine first one developed a hole on a trip but was still usable.

Pinned
09-13-2020, 07:51 PM
I just bought a LifeStraw, seems like it'll be good for relatively clear water. They make a version that is built into a water bottle, but I figured the standard one would allow me to fill up any bottles I've got for backpacking, bikepacking, etc.

It's cheap and very compact. They claim filtration for ~240 gallons before it needs to be replaced. Easily the smallest option outside of iodine tablets.

schwa86
09-13-2020, 08:36 PM
If you are considering tablets (which i support for non silty water) I think the aquamira type process (drops in this case but I believe you can buy in tab form) (chlorine dioxide) tastes a whole lot better than the iodine. https://www.rei.com/product/866996/aquamira-water-treatment-1-oz

I would also say a piece of torn t shirt fabric for straining the water before it is treated goes a long way towards getting silt/debris out. In fairness, I say this based on backcountry backpacking not bike packing.

redir
09-13-2020, 08:39 PM
Pump, not tablets, that's my recommendation. Well actually both but the pump is the main source.

srider
09-14-2020, 06:52 AM
Another vote for the Sawyer mini. Also agree the larger pumps are too heavy/bulky. The bags that Sawyer includes are definitely flimsy, but if you're patient and don't squeeze too hard they hold up ok. Upgrading to a CNOC bag is worth it. I carry a small piece of pantyhose to use as a pre-filter if there is a lot of sediment so the filter doesn't clog.

Clancy
09-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Anyone have any experience with the MSR TrailShot?

What’s the advantage of using water purification tablets over a filter like the Sawyer Mini? Is it just weight (2 oz) and space? Which I’m not negating, every oz counts when bikepacking.

jemdet
09-14-2020, 07:20 AM
Sawyers are tiny, cheap, effective, and long-lasting. Just sleep with the filter against your body if night time temps are going below freezing.

.RJ
09-14-2020, 07:55 AM
Another +1 for the sawyer mini. I bought another tube w/ quick disconnect, so I can pull it out if I dont need it.

jpw
09-14-2020, 08:43 AM
Katadyn tablets here.

BRad704
09-14-2020, 09:15 AM
I really like my Sawyer squeeze setup for backpacking, so I would expect it to be just as good for bikepacking. Although I haven't gotten to do any bikepacking yet...

DaveInATX
09-14-2020, 12:35 PM
In my experience the sawyer mini flow rate is significantly less than the squeeze. Check out some backpacking reviews for some information. Try Darwin on the trail, homemade wanderlust, and follow Bigfoot on YouTube.

slowpoke
09-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Having used both the Sawyer Squeeze and Katadyn BeFree, the BeFree has a much faster flow rate.

Both systems require you to make sure they don't freeze, so keep that in mind if camping in colder weather.

m_sasso
09-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Katadyn BeFree user, would only consider tablets as a last resort, and then you will need to wait minimum 30 minutes for iodine tablets to be effective, making the water bacteriologically suitable to drink.