PDA

View Full Version : Shimano EW-JC130 Y-split routing cable lengths

KJMUNC
09-11-2020, 10:59 PM
About to embark on my first Di2 build and putting the junction box in the bar end. Only prob is that the EW-JC130 y-splitter comes in three sizes and I'm unsure on which I need. This is being installed on a 61cm frame with 40cm bars.....fairly certain the smallest size won't work, so really trying to see if anyone has practical experience choosing between the medium/large size (450 vs. 550 length)

Any thoughts from those who have installed one of these? Thanks in advance!

echappist
09-11-2020, 11:21 PM
What specifically is the purpose of the Y-split in your set-up? If it is to connect the left and right shifters, then I'd suggest you run 350 from bar end junction (RS910) to first shifter, a 550 mm across the handlebar to the second shifter, and then a long cable from the second shifter into the frame. You may choose to have a disconnection point in that long cable, in which case, about 700 mm from second shifter into the top tube/ down tube, connect that end to a splicer (JC-200), and run another cable down to JC-41

KJMUNC
09-12-2020, 01:05 AM
What specifically is the purpose of the Y-split in your set-up? If it is to connect the left and right shifters, then I'd suggest you run 350 from bar end junction (RS910) to first shifter, a 550 mm across the handlebar to the second shifter, and then a long cable from the second shifter into the frame. You may choose to have a disconnection point in that long cable, in which case, about 700 mm from second shifter into the top tube/ down tube, connect that end to a splicer (JC-200), and run another cable down to JC-41

Yep that’s exactly it....hard to find some di2 parts these days. May have to post a WTB ad to find the bar end junction and wires. Thanks!

iPaul
09-12-2020, 04:34 AM
I may do something like this. Nice option with leaving the Bluetooth module unattached on one end.

blakcloud
09-12-2020, 08:12 AM
For a cleaner look and cheaper alternative you could try the method in Shane Miller's video that uses one 1200 mm cable. This method uses a bar with two holes drilled into the bar near the bar end so that may be the deciding factor for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi6k8V6UOow

I am about to do the upgrade myself and it was difficult getting all the parts. I had to purchase from four different vendors.

echappist
09-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Yep that’s exactly it....hard to find some di2 parts these days. May have to post a WTB ad to find the bar end junction and wires. Thanks!

You are welcome

Thing about the EW-JC130 is that it's best suited for niche purposes. For instance, my TT bike is set up with shifters on the extensions. Cable on each of the shifters is connected to a JC-41 located inside the stem (actual A-junction is way back, near the BB). But the JC-41 cannot accommodate five wires, so the JC-130 will allow me to run additional shifters to the bullhorns when I add those.

KJMUNC
09-12-2020, 09:52 AM
I may do something like this. Nice option with leaving the Bluetooth module unattached on one end.

What's the Bluetooth module connect to on the left side?

Velocipede
09-12-2020, 01:48 PM
What's the Bluetooth module connect to on the left side?

It allows you to connect to the e-tubes app on a phone and make adjustments wirelessly vs plugging into the computer.

Velocipede
09-12-2020, 01:52 PM
I did a customer build with Ultegra Disc Di2 where I ran a 450/550/50 in the bar with a bar end controller. I ran the 450 to the controller, the 50 thru a hole in the bar to the shifter and the 550 across to the front shifter. I ran a separate 550 thru the bar, out under the stem to plug into the connector. This way he was able to disconnect and pull the bars so he could pack it and travel. It worked really well, super clean routing too.

KJMUNC
09-12-2020, 02:26 PM
It allows you to connect to the e-tubes app on a phone and make adjustments wirelessly vs plugging into the computer.

Realized that after you sent it.....total newbie to the di2 game. Had a bike with it briefly, but I bought it already set-up so I didn't have to deal with wiring.

Thanks for all the insights.....think I have it figured out but will have to sort through all the parts when they arrive and figure it out from there!

Velocipede
09-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Realized that after you sent it.....total newbie to the di2 game. Had a bike with it briefly, but I bought it already set-up so I didn't have to deal with wiring.

Thanks for all the insights.....think I have it figured out but will have to sort through all the parts when they arrive and figure it out from there!

No worries. Let me know if you need any parts. I stock Di2 parts for builds. I always have a fun run of wires including y-wires and all the connectors and boxes.