PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good 26.0 Handlebar?

fignon's barber
09-11-2020, 02:24 PM
Assembling parts for a retro-mod project. It will have a quill stem and 26.0 bar. I'd like to go with a modern bar, not a NOS from the 80's. Anyone have a recommendation?

thirdgenbird
09-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Soma Hwy1 or Deda speciale

The first is a modern bend and the second is classic Italian but works with modern levers (it’s my pick)

MikeD
09-11-2020, 02:27 PM
Assembling parts for a retro-mod project. It will have a quill stem and 26.0 bar. I'd like to go with a modern bar, not a NOS from the 80's. Anyone have a recommendation?

Soma Highway 1. Nitto makes some nice modern 26.0 clamp bars also.

bfd
09-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Soma Highway 1. Nitto makes some nice modern 26.0 clamp bars also.

Yes, a lot of people, including myself, really like the Nitto Noodle bar! I especially like the long “ramp,” part behind the hoods, where you can rest your hands. I also like how the bar sweeps back in the middle, making a nice place to hold the bar while climbing.

https://www.somafabshop.com/web/image/product.template/4093/image

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!

jkbrwn
09-11-2020, 02:53 PM
Sim Works by Nitto Misirlou's are lovely:

https://www.sim.works/collections/handle-bars-simworks-by-nitto/products/co-misirlou-bar?variant=23501980803

Pegoready
09-11-2020, 03:39 PM
I echo Soma HWY1 for a modern short reach, shallow drop, that works well with modern levers.

The Deda Piega in 26.0 is equally good, only available in black, but a solid choice that can be had a little cheaper than Soma.

After years of battling 26.0 bars those are the only 2 I'd use. Everything else is designed to look classic and has much too long of a reach and drop for modern ergonomics.

bicycletricycle
09-11-2020, 03:53 PM
classic shape-
1. Nitto noodles
2. Rene herse maes parallel are 25.4 but with shims work for 26 and are really great but you will need a shorter stem. These are also lighter weight than the other nitto options
3. Nitto 176 are a nice classic shape

more modern -
1. Nitto makes some other interesting ergo bars but not in wide widths M186, M196, M184 . I have had a few of these in the past and they are nice but they don't come wider than 44 normally. Ben's has them sometimes.

most modern shape-
1. Nitto M151F bars have that more modern banana bend and super compact reach and drop.

Whit51
09-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Salsa Short n Shallow. Also, the Dajia short reach bar Velo Orange sells. And +1 for the Soma Highway One.

smead
09-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Ritchey WCS in 26.0. Cheap on ebay ...

m_sasso
09-11-2020, 05:17 PM
Nitto M151

• clamp: 26.0mm

• drop: 128mm

• reach: 76mm

• width: 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46cm (center to center)

• cable grooves

• weight: 340g (40cm)

Mark McM
09-11-2020, 06:26 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious retro-modern handlebars - Cinelli recently re-issued their classic Giro d'Italia 64 handlebar, in the original 26.0mm. (Well, technically it was originally in 26.4mm, but when the merged with Columbus tubing, the switched it over to 26.0mm). A classic design from the original company, but with modern material and manufacturing:

https://cinelli.it/it/prodotti/giro-ditalia/

https://static.modernbike.com/256/main_2126262256_20171023042557.jpg

charliedid
09-11-2020, 06:50 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the obvious retro-modern handlebars - Cinelli recently re-issued their classic Giro d'Italia 64 handlebar, in the original 26.0mm. (Well, technically it was originally in 26.4mm, but when the merged with Columbus tubing, the switched it over to 26.0mm). A classic design from the original company, but with modern material and manufacturing:

Funny, I was just going to mention this bar.

thirdgenbird
09-11-2020, 07:15 PM

He said retro-mod which I took to mean modern components on a retro frame. These do not play nearly as well with integrated shifters as the comparable Deda Speciale. Or at least that’s what I remember after putting Campagnolo levers on each.

colker
09-11-2020, 07:34 PM
He said retro-mod which I took to mean modern components on a retro frame. These do not play nearly as well with integrated shifters as the comparable Deda Speciale. Or at least that’s what I remember after putting Campagnolo levers on each.

Where is the trouble w/ mixing old hbar shapes and modern levers? I have been doing it for years.

Bob Ross
09-11-2020, 07:37 PM
Everything else is designed to look classic and has much too long of a reach and drop for modern ergonomics.

That's funny, I find nearly all the so-called modern bars I've tried suck ergonomically when compared to something old-school like a Deda 215.

thirdgenbird
09-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Where is the trouble w/ mixing old hbar shapes and modern levers? I have been doing it for years.

I wouldn’t describe it as trouble, but I found I could get a more preferable transition from bar to lever with the Deda.

colker
09-11-2020, 07:40 PM
That's funny, I find nearly all the so-called modern bars I've tried suck ergonomically when compared to something old-school like a Deda 215.

Deda shallow? I rode that for years. I still need more drop but it sure is a great shape.

BlueHampsten
09-11-2020, 10:43 PM
I have been using the Nitto Grand Randonneur 132 handlebar on my touring bike for several years. It is a very good looking handlebar with fine fit and finish. It looks particularly good, in my opinion, when used with the Shimano 600 or Dura Ace quill stems.

The reach is 122 and the drop 110. The bars flare outward slightly. They offer multiple comfortable hand positions as well.

I have ridden the Eroica California and Eroica Gaiole in Chianti using these handlebars and had no issues with them.

Hope your new build turns out to be everything you want it to be.

Look forward to when you post photos of the finished bike.

ddtn
09-12-2020, 06:02 AM
Nitto M106NAS. Heat treated and looks the business.

jamesdak
09-12-2020, 07:23 AM

You just beat us too it. This is my default when I can find one for a good price. The 42mm version feels just right to me. Even with my small hands I have no issues with using modern gear on these.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/170017073.jpg

When I can't find them I then use the Nitto Noodle which are ok too. Sometimes I just seem to notice the sweepback on these while riding and it just doesn't "seem" right for some reason. The transition on top does seem flatter, smoother, better, or what ever term you want to use than the Cinelli's.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164992518.jpg

Then a new favorite is becoming the Soma HWY 1 like others mentioned.

bicycletricycle
09-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Nitto M106NAS. Heat treated and looks the business.

That bar looks great

Velocipede
09-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Nitto, Deda, Velo Orange they all make great NEW 26.0 bars. I am doing a few retro builds and found some NOS SR/Sakae Ringyo Custom bars. Anatomic bend. They were take offs. If you're looking for actual retro parts, FB forums, that's where I put the word out for that specific bar. Just depends on what you're looking for.

EB
09-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Cinelli 64s with modern shifters are workable, but feel pretty odd when placed where the shifting is accessible - riding on the hoods feels like your hand is sitting in a “notch.” I had them on my Colnago Master retro-mod and wasn’t ever entirely happy with it.

My conclusion was that older frames have better ergonomics with DT shifters.

dbh
09-12-2020, 02:17 PM
I use Nitto 176 and 177 bars. The 177s (Noodles) I use on my rando bikes as I like the bit of flare. I run everything with 10speed Campy, and the transition to the hoods is fantastic.

reuben
09-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Cinelli 64s with modern shifters are workable, but feel pretty odd when placed where the shifting is accessible - riding on the hoods feels like your hand is sitting in a “notch.” I had them on my Colnago Master retro-mod and wasn’t ever entirely happy with it.

My conclusion was that older frames have better ergonomics with DT shifters.

Are you using Shimano, Campy, or other shifters? Where are they placed on the bar? I think I'm headed back to Cinelli 66-42 bars, which I used in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'm curious.

EB
09-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Are you using Shimano, Campy, or other shifters? Where are they placed on the bar? I think I'm headed back to Cinelli 66-42 bars, which I used in the late 80s/early 90s, so I'm curious.

This was with Campy Potenza. I’ve since sold that bike. The shifter was placed about midway through the curve. It’s frankly just an awkward setup. I can’t imagine modern Shimano shifters would be an easier fit.

thirdgenbird
09-12-2020, 03:04 PM

I tried with Campagnolo 10 and found an awkward fit. See both examples above. The lever sets pretty low. Low enough the brake blade may hang well below the bottom of the bar. You can’t always use the traditional “line the bottom of the brake up to the bottom of the bar” method. If you like where they land, it works, but the amount of adjustment it give you is minimal.

Per my prior posts, if you like that style drop but want to use modern shifters, Deda’s Italian drop works well.

bob_in_pa
09-12-2020, 05:06 PM
I was always partial to Modolo bars. They were kind of the modern bar when retro was normal.

-Bob

ultraman6970
09-12-2020, 06:07 PM
ultra uses cinelli giro d'italia in all the steel.. you can run a longer stem there.

Then you have all the ergo stuff which are pretty nice, deda, 3t... and modern stuff like soma and nitto.

Fiery
09-13-2020, 02:22 AM
This was with Campy Potenza. I’ve since sold that bike. The shifter was placed about midway through the curve. It’s frankly just an awkward setup. I can’t imagine modern Shimano shifters would be an easier fit.

This always intrigued me about modern vs. classic handlebar/hood ergonomics since I haven't had a lot of experience on a proper traditional setup. What makes the setup with Potenza less comfortable than the same handlebar with older brake levers, for example like this (https://www.jaysmarine.com/70paramount_11108_8.jpg)?

reuben
09-13-2020, 05:19 AM

Yeah, that's how I rode mine in the pre brifters days, and I'm moving in that direction again. And with a long stem as shown.

colker
09-13-2020, 08:08 AM

I rode years on a set up like that. I guess ignorance is bliss cause i thought i had it all sorted out.

fignon's barber
09-14-2020, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations. Very helpful and much appreciated. In trying to source a 26.0 bar over the weekend, seems availability is an issue. I ended up ordering a piega from the UK. I'll be using it with NOS centaur/veloce silver 10 speed group, and I think the bend will work well. Thanks to all who contributed.

dddd
09-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Too late for your shopping, but I've used more TTT Prima 220 bars on older bikes than any other.

The tight radius of the Cinelli 64 bend never felt very comfortable on my hands while in the drops, but I've done quite a few builds using these (usually with DT levers though).

Pegoready
09-14-2020, 04:05 PM
This always intrigued me about modern vs. classic handlebar/hood ergonomics since I haven't had a lot of experience on a proper traditional setup. What makes the setup with Potenza less comfortable than the same handlebar with older brake levers, for example like this (https://www.jaysmarine.com/70paramount_11108_8.jpg)?

Nothing, but is that our benchmark? A Cinelli 65 bar with Weinmann levers? I know a whole generation of cyclists rode this stuff but this is not the height of ergonomics and most modern cyclists would rather quit than ride that setup.

I also believe that frames were sized bigger in the seat tube, shorter in the top tube, and higher bars back then, making the position work somewhat. Today's low bars make riding in the hoods more common and that 'V' formed between the lever and bar just doesn't cut it.

Pegoready
09-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. Very helpful and much appreciated. In trying to source a 26.0 bar over the weekend, seems availability is an issue. I ended up ordering a piega from the UK. I'll be using it with NOS centaur/veloce silver 10 speed group, and I think the bend will work well. Thanks to all who contributed.

Nice! You'll be happy. I hope you accounted for the Dedas being measured outside to outside.

I'm waiting for the 46's to come back in stock, because they measure 44 c-c.

Fiery
09-15-2020, 01:16 AM
Nothing, but is that our benchmark? A Cinelli 65 bar with Weinmann levers? I know a whole generation of cyclists rode this stuff but this is not the height of ergonomics and most modern cyclists would rather quit than ride that setup.

I also believe that frames were sized bigger in the seat tube, shorter in the top tube, and higher bars back then, making the position work somewhat. Today's low bars make riding in the hoods more common and that 'V' formed between the lever and bar just doesn't cut it.The poster whom I quoted implied that the ergonomics of old handlebars work better with old levers. This is a notion that I have seen before but never really understood, so I wanted to use the opportunity and learn something new (or old).

Rpoole8537
09-15-2020, 06:55 AM
I just put Nitto on my 89 Merckx build and I really like them. I have arthritic hands and comfort is very important.