PDA

View Full Version : Best Road Tires - in your opinion

oaklandhillsca
09-11-2020, 01:59 PM
What are the best road tires you have ridden? I am currently riding Vredestein Comp Race 25's clinchers (max my bike can accommodate).
I am in need of new ones and the Comp Races are sold out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

FlashUNC
09-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Vittoria Corsas.

Going to be trying a set of Goodyear's soon and can report back when the air is no longer poison.

XXtwindad
09-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Vittoria Corsas.

Going to be trying a set of Goodyear's soon and can report back when the air is no longer poison.

Depends on your definition of "road."

Vittoria Corsa or IRC Formulas for 28-30.
Panaracer Gravel King Plus for 32-35.

sg8357
09-11-2020, 02:19 PM
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

I put Conti Gp5k 32s on the Cannondale e-bike.

Pirelli P Zero Classics on the old timey bike,
BRR rates them well, and they look good.

AngryScientist
09-11-2020, 02:25 PM
when only the best will do:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8p0fQTrpPuk/Xzrq6yWPEqI/AAAAAAAAEMU/z7Ix713MUCQjSztsjucAl3m8nZ7y5p8lgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6172.jpg

GregL
09-11-2020, 02:30 PM
My favorites are the (sadly discontinued) Continental Grand Prix 4000S II in size 700x23. They actually measure 27mm in width on rims with a 19mm internal width. They are (IMO) a great combination of light weight, durability, grip, and rolling resistance.

Of tires currently available, I like the Panaracer Gravel King in 700x28 (measure 29mm on 19mm internal rims) and Continental Grand Prix 5000 (standard clinchers, NOT tubeless) in 700x25 (measure 27.5mm on 19mm internal rims). If the widest your bike can take is a true 700x25, then I recommend the Grand Prix 5000 in 700x23 (measure 25mm on 19mm internal rims).

Greg

tmf
09-11-2020, 02:47 PM
I stocked up on Vittoria Corsa Elite 25's (tubulars) before they became unavailable. I still have a few unmounted tires left, then I will probably switch to a newer, similar model Vittoria.

These were the sweet spot for me in regards to ride, cost and durability.

CNY rider
09-11-2020, 03:07 PM
Rene Herse 700X26, whatever they are called.

CTracer
09-11-2020, 03:09 PM
For tubeless road clinchers up to 28c, I have not found anything better all-around than Conti GP5000TL. Almost as good non-tubeless are GP4000S and the newer GP5000s. For a mixed surface tire I love the Panaracer GKs in whatever width works for the intended use.

BRad704
09-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Best I've personally used...
Tubeless - 25mm GP5k
Tubed - 24/26mm Sworks Turbo

martl
09-11-2020, 03:13 PM
VELOFLEX Pave or the old servizio Corsa. Super subtle old school ride, and I just love the predictability of its grip. Also nice on wet roads.

Toddtwenty2
09-11-2020, 03:18 PM
I prefer Vittoria Corsa tires. My 2 cents.

Dave
09-11-2020, 03:33 PM
Michelin power endurance, 700x25. They can be hard to find too. Bike tires direct had been out for a long time, but they got a few more in recently and I got the last two.

These tires have a good combination of suppleness, good grip and very long tread life.

Ozz
09-11-2020, 03:47 PM
I've always liked Michelins....the old Pro4 Service Course are great, but only came in 23's.

Decided to try 25's, so ordered some Power Road TS and have been riding the past month. So far, so good.....

The Pirelli Pzero Velo's look interesting....might give them a try too

gibbo
09-11-2020, 03:49 PM
I am a big fan of Veloflex, great ride, great grip, decent wear and puncture resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uber
09-11-2020, 04:03 PM
FMB's are the nicest riding tires, but can sometimes get a batch with poor quality control and flat prematurely. Veloflex in clincher are pretty close in feel to the tubulars. They have been a bit more consistent in longevity, but I do think about going back to FMB. So euro chic!!

Hellgate
09-11-2020, 04:16 PM
Specialized Turbo Cotton's.

However, two days ago I went tubeless (stop the presses!) and installed 25mm Corsa 2.0 TLRs on my Bora 35s. Oh my, what a lovely ride!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200911/4f3579c57d1e5ba92363d1f3c8edb994.jpg

mtechnica
09-11-2020, 04:19 PM
GP5000 easy

Waldo62
09-11-2020, 04:40 PM
The biggest RH Extra Legere or Grand Bois Extra Legere that the frame accommodates. 28 and 30 are my fave sizes.

Hilltopperny
09-11-2020, 08:13 PM
Vittoria Corsa are great tires in just about any iteration. Panaracer GK slicks are also a nice riding durable tire in just about any size. I also like Veloflex Corsa and Challenge Paris Roubaix pro series.

jamesdak
09-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Well my go to for years were the Continental GP 4000s II tires. Preferred 700 x 25 if they fit on the bike but also used 700 x 23 and 700 x 28 in a few cases. I just found them comfortable, grippy, and dependable. Fairly tough too in my experience. I had one time where I locked the rear for a second at about 40 mph when an idiot pulling a RV trailer did a U Turn in from of me as I was descending down a mountain. Road home about another 20 miles after that only to find I had worn the tire down to the white casing in that incident. Never flatted. Another time I was climbing an abandoned mountain road with some really sharp nasty chipseal on a bike with a brand new set of these. Got to the top and then raced down the backside at speeds in the lower 50 mph range. Got home and found a chunk of rear tire bigger than a bb missing out of the tread. Pretty sure the chipseal crap carved it out. Once again no failure. Filled the whole with shoe goo and that tire is still in service.

My other favs are the Veloflex Corsa and Masters. Great feel, plenty tough, and great price when bought from the UK. Veloflex is my choice for my tubular setups also.

Tim Porter
09-11-2020, 08:26 PM
I've had okay experiences with FMB tubulars and Veloflex clinchers and tubulars but find more reliability with Vittoria clinchers and tubulars. In the last year I've used the Vittoria Corsas (25mm and 28 mm) in both. Lately I've used the Corsa Controls in clincher and TLR and they're stellar (25mm and 30mm, btw.) The TLR Controls in 25mm on Campy WTO 33 rim brake wheels are simply amazing.

And I have to put in a vote for Continental Competition tubulars in 25mm. There's an unreasonable bias against them in some quarters, who say they ride like garden hoses. But if you don't pump them up crazy hard they're bullet-proof, ride quite well and are extremely consistent.

"Pro" tip--these are the only tubulars where I've begun to use tape rather than Mastic One. Put the tape on a nice clean rim, leaving the backing paper on the tape with a little tip of the backing poking out the side. Put on the tire and inflate it to about 30 lbs and center it (which is easy because the backing allows you to move the tire around on the rim). Pull out the backing paper, pump up the tire to 100 lbs or more and roll it around on the floor a couple times. All done. Amazingly easy and reliable--have never rolled a tire in 50 years of gluing/taping tubulars.

Edit: Forgot to add that I've also had great luck with Specialized Turbo Cottons in 28mm.

jamesdak
09-11-2020, 08:30 PM
"Pro" tip--these are the only tubulars where I've begun to use tape rather than Mastic One. Put the tape on a nice clean rim, leaving the backing paper on the tape with a little tip of the backing poking out the side. Put on the tire and inflate it to about 30 lbs and center it (which is easy because the backing allows you to move the tire around on the rim). Pull out the backing paper, pump up the tire to 100 lbs or more and roll it around on the floor a couple times. All done. Amazingly easy and reliable--have never rolled a tire in 50 years of gluing/taping tubulars.

I'm using Effetto Mariposa Carogna on three sets of tubulars. Never a problem and like you pointed out, installation is quick and super easy. Just ordered more to redo another set of tubulars someone else had glued. That glue job has failed.

Tim Porter
09-11-2020, 08:33 PM
jamesdak: I hear you, brother. And the glue remover that Effetto Mariposa makes has done a really nice job for me, btw. Tim

AngryScientist
09-11-2020, 08:35 PM
just to point out a maybe missed point: the FMB's i posted a pic of are clinchers.

they are sublime.,

jamesdak
09-11-2020, 08:41 PM
just to point out a maybe missed point: the FMB's i posted a pic of are clinchers.

they are sublime.,

I heard they were make an open tubular but I couldn't find anyone selling them nor find them at their site. Where'd you find them at?

denapista
09-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Veloflex Vlaanderen
Veloflex Pro Tour (Currently)

Hands down the (2) best tires I've ridden in terms of Grip/Durability/Comfort/Speed

rccardr
09-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Vittoria Rubino Pro III 25mm. Discontinued but still out there.
Continental GP 4000 SII 25 and 28mm. Discontinued but still out there.
Vittoria Graphene Corsa Control 2.0 in 25 or 30mm.
Panaracer GK file tread in 26 or 32mm.

Most of those mount up at or near their nominal size. I would consider all of them to be ‘fast’ tires.

BlueHampsten
09-11-2020, 09:49 PM
I prefer the Michelin Open Pro4 Endurance on my road bike.

Will try the Pirelli P Zero clinchers on my road bike in the near future.

I like the Panaracer Gravel King tires on my gravel/asphalt bike that I use for Erioca rides.

Davist
09-12-2020, 06:02 AM
Continental GP5k in tubeless. game changer for me.

Greatestalltime
09-12-2020, 06:30 AM
Gp5k

oldpotatoe
09-12-2020, 06:50 AM
What are the best road tires you have ridden?

Vittoria CX followed by Vittoria Corsa Elite.
For 27mm, Vittoria Pave..

Clancy
09-12-2020, 07:10 AM
Vittoria CX followed by Vittoria Corsa Elite.
For 27mm, Vittoria Pave..

Done

Elefantino
09-12-2020, 07:21 AM
I keep buying Veloflex Masters because they are the most tub-like of any tire I've ridden since the first (totally-flat prone, unfortunately) Vittoria Open Corsa EVOs. The Masters have now taken the name Corsa EVOs.

I'm hooked. Unbefreakinglievable ride.

weiwentg
09-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Best I've personally used...
Tubeless - 25mm GP5k
Tubed - 24/26mm Sworks Turbo

Did you use the S-Works Cotton, or the Turbo? I used the latter, and I did not find them very good at all. Bicyclerollingresistance put them about 2 watts (IIRC) slower than the GP 4000.

I hear the Turbo Cotton is very good. I'm more likely to switch to the GP 5ks. I am trying desperately to wear out my pair of 4ks, and even though I have over 4k miles on them (light rider), I can still see the tread wear indicators. I thought the rear tire would die this year for sure, but it hasn't yet.

I bought a pair of wheels this year that had 25mm Vittoria Rubino Pro Speeds mounted. They feel about on par with the GP 4ks. BRR says the rolling resistance is on par with that tire as well.

BRad704
09-12-2020, 08:43 AM
Did you use the S-Works Cotton, or the Turbo? I used the latter, and I did not find them very good at all. Bicyclerollingresistance put them about 2 watts (IIRC) slower than the GP 4000.

I hear the Turbo Cotton is very good. I'm more likely to switch to the GP 5ks. I am trying desperately to wear out my pair of 4ks, and even though I have over 4k miles on them (light rider), I can still see the tread wear indicators. I thought the rear tire would die this year for sure, but it hasn't yet.

I rode and raced a full season on a set of 24/26 Turbo (not cotton) and they were great for me. Wet dry crit road race chipseal, all of it. Maybe I had a magically blessed one-off super set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ti_or_die
09-12-2020, 10:58 AM
I have tried most of the clincher brands mentioned in the posts. Of everything I have tried, my most reliable and durable tubeless tire is Hutchinson Intensive 2. They seal well and don't wear out quickly.

OtayBW
09-12-2020, 11:15 AM
I have tried most of the clincher brands mentioned in the posts. Of everything I have tried, my most reliable and durable tubeless tire is Hutchinson Intensive 2. They seal well and don't wear out quickly.
Man (or woman, or person, or perhaps even camera or TV) does not live by reliable and durable alone....;)

ti_or_die
09-12-2020, 11:21 AM
I try to commute to work whenever it isn't snowing, so for 50km (or 31 mi) one-way, it has to be reliable and durable. I'm in it for the long haul. :)

avalonracing
09-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Man (or woman, or person, or perhaps even camera or TV) does not live by reliable and durable alone....;)

I second that. Each year when I went from winter Gatorskins to Vittoria Open Pro CXs it was like buying a new (much nicer) bike for just $100.

mikehkaiser
09-12-2020, 12:48 PM
I've been fond of Paselas for a long time, but want to put the GP 4/5k's on when my current pair wear out.

livesadventure
09-12-2020, 01:06 PM
Fun thread, I've been riding Vittoria Corsa Controls in 28mm the last few years but my Scarab came stock with Schwalbe Pro Ones set up tubeless and the ride is exquisite on road and gentle gravel

bianchi10
09-12-2020, 01:10 PM
In my personal opinion, I say GP5000 all the way. That is coming from someone who HATED continental with a passion for many years. I road the GP4000 and the GP4000ii and they were so rough and bumpy. I had some sidewall issues that could have been bad luck or bad batch, but this happened 3 separate occasions. Experience with anything will influence your thoughts towards a brand or item.

I switched to the Vitorria Corsa for 2 years. The ride quality of the corsa was light years better than the Conti, which is what made me turn my head at all the punctures. My last set of Corsa was so fragile that I started to look for another tire, which is conveniently when the Corsa 2.0 and Corsa Control came out. I tried both. The 2.0 didn't give me any better puncture resistance and didn't ride any better than the OG Corsa. The Control was better, but still experienced punctures. More than I was wanting to deal with. The roads around aren't bad quality, but has its fair share of broken glass from time to time. I'm always looking ahead, but there are times when you find yourself running through a section regardless.

The GP5000 had been out for some time, but I just wouldn't allow myself to go back to Continental. I had been asking every rider I knew and reading reviews on so many tire options and everything lead me back to the GP5000. As much as I didn't want to, I bought a set and was absolutely in love within the first ride. I loved how they felt and over time proved to be incredibly durable against the street elements and long lasting in comparison to the Corsa.

I've been using Tubolito innertubes with GP5000 for over 4k miles now and still not one flat (KNOCK ON WOOD). There have been times I've found myself running through glass and just waited to hear the hissing of a puncture, I was able to keep going without concern. I absolutely love my GP5000 tires.

shinomaster
09-12-2020, 01:20 PM
I've been loving my Michelin Pro4 Service Course and Endurance on the commuter bike (both 25's), very smooth and I never get flats. The seem to hold up pretty well for a lightweight race tire.

mcteague
09-12-2020, 01:34 PM
I've been loving my Michelin Pro4 Service Course and Endurance on the commuter bike (both 25's), very smooth and I never get flats. The seem to hold up pretty well for a lightweight race tire.

Me too. When I installed the Endurance I found it really did not last much longer than the Service Course. I have yet to buy a Power but, not that the Pro4s seem to have dried up, I will either get some Powers or Continental GP5ks when I use up my Pro4 SC supply.

Tim

Saxon
09-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Fun thread, I've been riding Vittoria Corsa Controls in 28mm the last few years but my Scarab came stock with Schwalbe Pro Ones set up tubeless and the ride is exquisite on road and gentle gravel

I was riding GP4000ii until I switched to the Schwalbe Pro Ones. Great riding tires and they feel fast. They don't last as long as the GP4000ii, but then again the Conti rubber seems to start rotting pretty quickly.

RoosterCogset
09-29-2020, 04:56 PM
Great thread everyone! Consensus seems to have me making the right choice.

katematt
10-07-2020, 09:18 AM

they are sublime.,

Can't seem to find them? you have a source?

Also Veloflex seems hard to locate.

Thanks!!

buddybikes
10-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Veloflex:

https://worldclasscycles.com/product/veloflex-corsa-sps-clincher/

jkbrwn
10-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Having now ridden a couple hundred of KMs on 28c Turbo Cotton's.. I don't see how a clincher can get any better than this. They are wild. Incredibly fast, very comfortable and grip for days. I keep shocking myself at how quickly I went through a corner without really feeling like I was about to lose any traction. Very expensive but also very lovely to ride.

b_thesing
10-07-2020, 11:32 AM
I've been riding Vittoria Rubino Pros for a few months now, and the ride is good, but by no means a game changer. The rear wheel seems to be wearing quickly. Months ago I broke my wrist badly in a crash where the rear wheel slipped out while breaking around a corner...going forward my main concern will be grip.

Vamoots58
10-07-2020, 11:48 AM
FMB's are the nicest riding tires, but can sometimes get a batch with poor quality control and flat prematurely. Veloflex in clincher are pretty close in feel to the tubulars. They have been a bit more consistent in longevity, but I do think about going back to FMB. So euro chic!!

+1 - Was riding FMB tubulars exclusively for three or four years, but in the last 18 months have switched to Veloflex Roubaix (f) Vlaandaren (r). Was finding more and more inconsistency with FMB, treads separating, etc. Have a Specialized Hell of the North that I will try when the current Vlaandaren is cooked.

barnabyjones
10-07-2020, 12:01 PM
RH Chinook Pass 28c because they're actually 25.5 yet feel like 32s.

cyan
10-07-2020, 12:22 PM
I keep buying Veloflex Masters because they are the most tub-like of any tire I've ridden since the first (totally-flat prone, unfortunately) Vittoria Open Corsa EVOs. The Masters have now taken the name Corsa EVOs.

I'm hooked. Unbefreakinglievable ride.

How durable/puncture resistant are Veloflex Masters? Thinking to try them.

OldCrank
10-07-2020, 01:26 PM
another Michelin fan here. Love the cushy soft grippy rubber. 25s, I didn't love the 28s (more like 30s amirite?)
After a spate of flats on Pro4 Endurances, I'm going to try Power Protection. Difference seems to be bead-to-bead strip. While I've had little trouble up the sides, I'm hoping for fewer flats.
Power Endurance 23s for fast group chases.

Pro One Tubeless: 3 seasons with the same Stan's?!? 23s feel good on Ardennes+.
Pro One clinchers: 25s, rubber feels a little harder, a little chattery on crappy surface turning.

gngroup
10-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Veloflex tubulars -

Seramount
10-07-2020, 01:50 PM
I've been riding Vittoria Rubino Pros for a few months now, and the ride is good, but by no means a game changer. The rear wheel seems to be wearing quickly.

yeah, tried the Rubino Pro IIIs...meh. nothing exceptional about them and they cut easily and wore out quickly.

tried some Schwalbe Pro ONEs...nice tire, but not overly durable.

tried some Michelin Service Course 3s (?)...another meh tire imo.

the Conti 4KIIS has been my go-to tire for years. decent ride, excellent durability. routinely get 5000 miles from a rear tire.

ready to mount some 5Ks as soon as I'm cleared to ride again (recovering from multiple knee surgeries this summer). expecting them to be quite good.

pdonk
10-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Rode 25 mm conti 4000s for 10 years, really liked them.

New bike came with 28 mm Schwalbe Pro 1 TLE's - they rode amazing with tubes until I flatted and there was no way to get them to seat properly on the rim without an air compressor and soap, ended up ruining a rim because of it.

Now riding Cont 5000s tubed version with latex tubes, ride really nice and mount and dismount with no tools. I've got close to 3000km on them this season and will be replacing them early next season, not sure what I'll get, likely another pair of them or a set of corsas.

lavi
10-07-2020, 02:06 PM
RH Chinook Pass 28c because they're actually 25.5 yet feel like 32s.

Concur.

benb
10-07-2020, 02:25 PM
My long term favorite is Michelin for sure. I used the Axial Pro tires for ages, then kept moving along with whatever replaced them in the "Pro 1/2/3/whatever" series.

But the last 4 years I've run the Specialized 26c non-cotton S-works Turbo tires on one of my bikes.. they've been the best tire I've had for sure.

I've had 0 flats on the S-works Turbos across all the pairs. Not one. Super fast, tons of grip, great ride. I've rode them in all kinds of temp ranges down into the 30s up to 90s & all kinds of weather. They're totally fine in the rain. I've rode them in the rain on dirt roads in a total mess and they were great. I've rode them on gravel in dry and wet when I had no choice and they got me through. And I've never had to pay full price from them.. Specialized has BOGO on tires once a year so I go in and get a pair of them for like $60 at the LBS which makes them a really really reasonable option compared to competitors.

I have not tried the GP5000s but every time I've tried Conti the last 20 years I've hated them.. maybe the GP5000s are great but my long term association with Conti has always been hard to mount, rough ride, fast wear, more likely to flat.

The only other tire I'd avoid more is Vredstein. I bought 3 pairs at one point and they kept dangerously blowing off the front rim to the point I through them all out. (I did try mounting a 2nd one on the front rim and it did the same thing.). Not sure what it was but I've had lots of rims and lots of tires and never had a blowout except those Vredstein ones.. amazing I didn't get hurt.

rustychisel
10-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Veloflex. No question.

Don't be tempted to lower the pressure expecting a better ride; they have a sweet spot (as do all tyres) and a squidgy tyre is no benefit and very likely a danger.

oldpotatoe
10-08-2020, 06:18 AM
I try to commute to work whenever it isn't snowing, so for 50km (or 31 mi) one-way, it has to be reliable and durable. I'm in it for the long haul. :)

You ride 62 miles per day when commuting?? Like 5 HOURS of riding..2.5 hour commute, work 8 hours or so and then another 2.5 hours??

Yeegads, you must be single with no kids.

Kyle h
10-08-2020, 06:35 AM
I’ve been a big fan of the GP5k because while they aren’t the absolute best in any category, they don’t make large concessions in any category either. Spec TCs are awesome but their life span and reliability were quite disappointing. Our team had numerous tires that started to separate the casing from the tread after minimal mileage. I really enjoyed the EL Barlow Pass tires I had on my FF for road duty but without being TL in their smaller sizes I looked elsewhere. I never had issues with my EL sidewalls seeping like a lot of people claim

I’m a few hundred miles in on a set of the new Enve 29c tires on my Stinner and am liking them. The 29c measure 32 on my 4.5AR wheels. Ride is good, TL setup was a breeze, seem to roll fast and no issues with reliability or punctures so far. Will be curious how they stand up as mileage increases.

BlueHampsten
10-08-2020, 08:58 AM
I like the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance for the ride quality and durability. I run 700 x 28 clinchers on HED Belgium Plus rims which makes the ride quite comfortable. The tires last a couple of thousand miles depending on the roads that our group rides and puncture resistance is good (except for roofing nails of course).

tongtommy
10-08-2020, 01:56 PM
How about the inner tire? Any comments on tubolito?

Dwn2Sk8
10-08-2020, 05:15 PM
You ride 62 miles per day when commuting?? Like 5 HOURS of riding..2.5 hour commute, work 8 hours or so and then another 2.5 hours??

Yeegads, you must be single with no kids.

Maybe he/she/they averages 31mph!

Mark McM
10-08-2020, 07:24 PM
How about the inner tire? Any comments on tubolito?

BicycleRollingResistance.com has tested Tubilito tires:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/tubolito

The data shows that Tubolito tires are light and small, but they also have relatively high rolling resistance. I usually use Continental Race Lite tires, and Tubolito Tubo-Road tires don't compare well against them. While being 35 grams lighter, the Tuboti tires also had more rolling resistance. Obviously lighter weight is better on climbs, but based on their weight and rolling resistance, the Tubulitos will only be faster on grades of 26% or more. The Tubolito S-Tubo is lighter and has less rolling resistance, but is more delicate (and leaks air faster), so they are more comparable to latex tubes. But Tubolito S-Turbo-Road still don't compare well to latex, either - the latex are heavier, but have less rolling resistance, so the lower weight the S-Tubo-Road only becames an advantage on grades of 20% or more.

Then when you throw in the higher cost of the Tubolitos, they really present no advantage for most riding. Probably their best application is as spare tubes, where their smaller size (and lower weight) makes the easier to carry.

m_sasso
10-09-2020, 10:11 AM
I must be looking at different data, at BicycleRollingResistance.com as I see no high rolling resistance, loose less air than latex and less than half the weight of common comparable butyl tubes.

There is no comparison testing of puncture resistance in this particular review, however Tubolito claims the tubes are twice as puncture resistant as butyl tubes.

My conclusions are very different than yours, I see plenty of advantages to using Tubilito inner tubes for the cost, they are lighter, tougher and produces less rolling resistance than butyl tubes.

Dlevy05
02-20-2023, 12:47 PM
This is a great thread with lots of good info. To answer your question you should really define the use.

Based on your username if you intend to train with your tire and or commute and want peace of mind with Oakland's roads, I've run the Maxxis Re-fuse with excellent results.

They're not the fastest, but extremely grippy, comfortable, puncture resistant, and have never let me down.

Gone through numerous sets and I would buy them again without thinking.

9tubes
02-20-2023, 03:14 PM
What are the best road tires you have ridden?

Hands down, Clement Criterium Seta tubulars, 27mm.

Oh, you mean tires that are actually available today? I'll give my vote to the Vittoria Corsa Speed.

rallizes
09-02-2023, 12:58 PM
Thought I might bump this one if people have some current faves to mention

lorenbike
09-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Victoria corsas.

Currently have a new set of panaracer agilest tires and really ike them. Standard version (non tubeless), in 28mm they measure about 27mm on velocity a23 rims. So far, they 'feel' nicer than corsas I swapped out, but not enough miles for any long term feedback .

I won't run tubeless on any road tire.

weisan
09-02-2023, 04:04 PM
I can honestly say this is the best tire I have ever used so far, pity it's no longer in regular production or circulation.

https://www.incycle.com/cdn/shop/products/TR3775.jpg?v=1665776194&width=1445

callmeishmael
09-03-2023, 01:33 PM
The Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR seem very good to me; fast, grippy, and no punctures in several thousand km. I did need a compressor to seat the rear one, however.

caneye
09-04-2023, 02:25 AM
The Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR seem very good to me; fast, grippy, and no punctures in several thousand km. I did need a compressor to seat the rear one, however.

just make sure it's not from this batch:

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/pirelli-p-zero-race-tlr-recall/#:~:text=Pirelli%20has%20issued%20a%20recall,and%2 024th%20week%20of%202023.&text=The%20recall%20has%20been%20issued,tyre%20wit h%20some%20wheel%20rims%E2%80%9D.

DeBike
09-04-2023, 04:32 AM
I can honestly say this is the best tire I have ever used so far, pity it's no longer in regular production or circulation.

https://www.incycle.com/cdn/shop/products/TR3775.jpg?v=1665776194&width=1445

They are certainly one of the best I have used.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/p/vittoria-pave-cg-open-clincher-road-tyre?color=black&wheelSizeWidth=700c+%7C+25mm

Recently bought a set of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance in 28mm. The are great riding tires. On my HED Ardennes at 83psi, they measure 29.5mm. I used to ride these a lot but they got quite costly. I found this set on sale. I have a bike that has 28mm Gravel King slicks, these Hutchinson's are too tight on it.

froze
09-04-2023, 10:43 PM
I haven't tried every single tire on the market, but I have a couple that I thought were very good.

If flat protection for a road bike, not a touring bike, is important for you than I really liked the Specialized Roubaix Pro tire, they're not that heavy but the rolling resistance is not that good, however, the wear like iron, I average about 3,800 to 4,000 miles on a set, I just finished burning up my 2nd pair and never had a single flat in either of the two sets. The only negative with these tires is that they start cracking before they're worn out, but I had these on a commuter that was parked outside all day, so that could be part of the reason for their cracking.

The other surprising tire considering what I paid for them, is the Panaracer Race D Evo 4, while one review thought they were not comfortable, oddly, I found them to be the most comfortable tire I've had in a long time! I have these on a vintage bike which I don't ride too often, but so far, no flats, can't tell about the wear yet but so far they look good at 800 miles.

The next tire I like is the Schwalbe Pro One tires, these are faster tires than the others I mentioned, they wear reasonably well for a dedicated road tire, I have about 1,200 miles on them and think they could see 2,200 to 2,500 miles maybe more? So far no flats with these either. Schwalbe reduced the price of these tires under the price of the Conti 5000, making the Schwalbe a much better deal.

The very last tire I want to mention isn't for a road bike, they were made for touring bikes, and that is the Schwalbe Amotion tire, while they are the heaviest of the tires I mentioned above they do have the least rolling resistance of any tires in this category, and they will last around 6,000 miles being used on a loaded bike, with nearly a flat-proof tire belt inside the casing. This tire I won't be able to test it's flat resistance by itself because I put in a RhinoDillo tire liner in both tires because I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to deal with a flat while touring.

SKV11000
09-05-2023, 05:45 PM
This is a great thread with lots of good info. To answer your question you should really define the use.

Based on your username if you intend to train with your tire and or commute and want peace of mind with Oakland's roads, I've run the Maxxis Re-fuse with excellent results.

They're not the fastest, but extremely grippy, comfortable, puncture resistant, and have never let me down.

Gone through numerous sets and I would buy them again without thinking.

For the people reading back. The original Maxxis Re-fuse has left the chat and has now been replaced with a re-bagged Gravel King with treat similar to the maxxis. I'm riding them now on my daily road bike on questionable Utah roads and they're good, tubeless at 32c.

mhoward
09-06-2023, 11:37 AM
Victoria corsas.

Currently have a new set of panaracer agilest tires and really ike them. Standard version (non tubeless), in 28mm they measure about 27mm on velocity a23 rims. So far, they 'feel' nicer than corsas I swapped out, but not enough miles for any long term feedback .

I won't run tubeless on any road tire.

I agree that the Agilest 28s feel great and I had good luck with them for a few hundred miles, then three flats made me think they were too delicate for the roads I ride. But I might give them another try sometime. (I went back to a set of Panaracer Ruffy Tuffys which are less supple than the Agilests but more durable.) Like Alex I'm still using tubes for road.

phishrabbi
09-06-2023, 12:21 PM
"best" is subjective and depends on the kinds of roads on which you ride, and how weigh things like, speed, puncture resistance, and comfort.

I'm really enjoying the Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR (https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready-corsa-evo-tlr-gum-sidewall) 32mm tires I mounted about 500 miles ago.

Elefantino
09-06-2023, 12:36 PM
Cotton, pretty much most high-end ones.

deluz
09-06-2023, 12:37 PM
I have been happy with Schwalbe Pro One with latex tubes.
I tempted to try Conti 5000 since they have a bit less rolling resistance.
I have one 25mm on one bike but only rode it a few times so far.

AngryScientist
09-06-2023, 12:46 PM
"Road" means different things to different people, but these get a solid vote for best IMO.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiGLRQzaVosFuHIopp9B_0tPQ7k8Azf2j6g-9xU49q1FVElATZSts2nyLfloOcDGKcGNw7g3akAyQaoPYdnXpx aT9qWSyXluF6Mh6uTmyuCg2Vk8uxF8YSg0JZQNQR6rZsgD0kVQ 1DqMoN3ILPkn3JD9X3nj9hvpetoiQ6U_2eFBzvoVWnb4c-jec3c/s1200/IMG_0025.jpg

jadmt
09-06-2023, 01:49 PM
I have been happy with Schwalbe Pro One with latex tubes.
I tempted to try Conti 5000 since they have a bit less rolling resistance.
I have one 25mm on one bike but only rode it a few times so far.

I was reading a review where it said that when both are new the conti rolls a bit faster but after a few miles they are really about the same. be interesting to see some tests to back that up.

TonyG
09-06-2023, 02:00 PM
"Road" means different things to different people, but these get a solid vote for best IMO.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiGLRQzaVosFuHIopp9B_0tPQ7k8Azf2j6g-9xU49q1FVElATZSts2nyLfloOcDGKcGNw7g3akAyQaoPYdnXpx aT9qWSyXluF6Mh6uTmyuCg2Vk8uxF8YSg0JZQNQR6rZsgD0kVQ 1DqMoN3ILPkn3JD9X3nj9hvpetoiQ6U_2eFBzvoVWnb4c-jec3c/s1200/IMG_0025.jpg

I needed a tire once and was "forced" into going to a Specialized shop. I got one of these for the rear wheel and when I rode the bike I was so impressed... I was shocked. They ride really nice! It was... I think a 26mm tire on an IF I have that is pretty dam stiff. And I was in Sonoma on crummy roads. The only flat I've had was when I took the wheel off to put the bike on a trainer and put it near my the steel-tip dart board. Yes it was flatted by a bounce-out dart that landed and stuck into the tire. One flat I'm sure going tubeless would have saved me from.

GregL
09-06-2023, 02:24 PM
My $0.02: a lot of the Conti anecdotes definitely applied to their tires 10-20 years ago. The original Grand Prix clinchers had notoriously fragile sidewalls. At least from the Grand Prix 4000 series onward, I've had good reliability/longevity from Conti. I'm currently running through the last of my stock of Grand Prix 4000S II tires and have Grand Prix 5000s on two wheelsets. All are conventional, tubed clinchers. No issues despite miles of rough road and lots of recent oil/gravel. The Grand Prix 5000s handle and roll very well when racing. Gratuitous pic of yours truly doing my best to string out the pack at a recent race. The tires were the least of my problems...

Greg