PDA

View Full Version : OT: Audio Part 12 - Minimalist integrated

William
09-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Our daughter also has the audio sound bug like me. She has a Hafler power amp and Carver pre-amp running a Kenwood KD-3070 DD TT, TEAC V-3RX cassette player, and is also wired for streaming to play her music through the different mediums. For use at school I sent her an old JVC integrated last year but it got a bit banged up in shipping...which is why I sent the JVC just in case something happened. She's been streaming and running a Yamaha cassette deck with that setup.

So I'm thinking of getting a PS Audio Sprout 100 for her to replace the JVC when she eventually heads back to school. The small footprint is dorm room friendly, and audio-wise it seems to punch well above it's weight for the price. It would allow her to stream and run cassettes and eventually she could run her vinyl through it as well. In a past audio thread a couple people mentioned running them though I don't remember if it was the original Sprout or the 100? So I'll check back and see if any other forum friends are running the 100, or if their are any other recomendations for a small but versatile integrated that would fit the intended use described?

W.

jkbrwn
09-11-2020, 01:15 PM
As far as all in one packages go, I don't think you can really beat it.

You could always get a Vista Audio Spark: http://www.vista-audio.com/products/Spark/index.htm for much less than the PS Audio, but you'd still need a pre-amp for a turntable, potentially a DAC for digital sources/bluetooth etc. So to be honest, as a small integrated that ticks all of the boxes you require - I don't think you'll do much better.

Of course, if you went bigger, you could grab something like a Class A/B Yamaha/Onkyo integrated that would sound great and have everything/almost everything she needs while also being cheaper.

I love my A-9150, but that's now been discontinued (basically an A-9110 with a nice DAC on-board). An A-9110 with a Schiit DAC would be a nice combination.

But in all honesty - just get the Sprout. FWIW - I've never heard a Sprout in person but if sources are to be believed, they sound wonderful.

benb
09-11-2020, 02:00 PM
I have a Fiio K5 that I use just like that Sprout.

I have one of their lossless players I can slot into it, or I run a line in which I plug my phone or computer into. It has line outs as well for running speakers but I just use it with headphones.

It's overall a good setup. It's my tiny footprint office setup. Can't comment on the other similar units.

I don't do any vinyl.. to be honest vinyl + minimal don't make sense to me together. Vinyl is huge and so is the turntable.

I actually got rid of my stereo/home theater ($5k range) and just have the minimal setup. It's what works best for my available listening time right now. If I ever build up another setup it will likely be 2-channel focused just on music and would not go in the living room.

Ken C
09-11-2020, 02:06 PM
I love it. I use it with some Klipsch KG 3.2 and a 12 in sealed SVS sub. I have also have hooked it up to some Klipsch RP-600Ms. I run a google Chromecast into the toshlink digital input and go back and forth between running my record player in the Vinyl input with the internal phono preamp or using a Schiit Mani phono preamp into the Analog input. I slightly prefer the Schiit Mani. The phono pre amp in the Sprout is likely less colored but sounds awesome. The more I listen to it though, the more I am considering going away from the Mani.

Bluetooth sounds pretty dang good, but not as good as streaming through optical or USB inputs. The bass boost sounds great when using with bookshelves. Since I run a sub out of the subwoofer output I have it turned off.

Before the Sprout 100 I was using my old AVR, a Marantz slimline 1605, and the Sprout sounds way better for 2 channel music through the same speakers.

Another consideration is a NAD 3020v2 or similar, like the 3045, etc. I bought a refurb 3020v to use with the RP-600Ms in a home office. I ended up setting up my workspace in my basement with the Sprout/KG set up so I don't need the second set up. I do have the NAD and 600Ms also in the basement to switch between four set ups to see what sounded best in that room. I think I have settled on keeping the Sprout and KG 3.2s and will sell the NAD and 600Ms, but I have not been in any hurry to do so.

Although the NAD is only has 30wpc, compared to the 50wpc of the Sprout, it seems to get just as loud as the Sprout. The NAD3020vs does not have a USB so connecting a computer is not as easy. It does have COAX and toshlink digital inputs along with analog and a phono preamp. The NAD's bluetooth sounds a little better, but since I don't use bluetooth it is not as important.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken

Our daughter is also has the audio sound bug like me. She has a Hafler power amp and Carver pre-amp running a Kenwood KD-3070 DD TT, TEAC V-3RX cassette player, and is also wired for streaming to play her music through the different mediums. For use at school I sent her an old JVC integrated last year but it got a bit banged up in shipping...which is why I sent the JVC just in case something happened. She's been streaming and running a Yamaha cassette deck with that setup.

So I'm thinking of getting a PS Audio Sprout 100 for her to replace the JVC when she eventually heads back to school. The small footprint is dorm room friendly, and audio-wise it seems to punch well above it's weight for the price. It would allow her to stream and run cassettes and eventually she could run her vinyl through it as well. In a past audio thread a couple people mentioned running them though I don't remember if it was the original Sprout or the 100? So I'll check back and see if any other forum friends are running the 100, or if their are any other recomendations for a small but versatile integrated that would fit the intended use described?

W.

William
09-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Thank you for the replies folks!:cool:

I'm leaning toward the Sprout from all the reviews I've seen and your recommendations nudge me a little closer. I'll still take a look at the K5, Vista, and NAD integrateds mentioned...even if it's just to familiarize myself with those offerings.

W.

Plum Hill
09-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Schiit Ragnarok.

parris
09-11-2020, 05:49 PM
William if you're interested in watching a YouTube review of the Sprout 100 New Record Day has a decent one out there.

I'm NOT getting a good vibe from Schiit right now. I ordered a Mani last week. It came in a little more than an hour ago and it has a dead A/C adapter. The issue I'm having is that ALL communication is only via Email. Their CS person so far hasn't been super helpful.

Hope this helps.

2LeftCleats
09-11-2020, 07:05 PM
I’m no audiophile, so don’t know if this fits her needs, but I got a Marantz M-CR612 last year. Small footprint and seems fine. Does have a CD player, which I guess is passé for many.

9tubes
09-12-2020, 06:06 PM
For the same money she might consider the new NAD C 338 Hybrid Digital DAC/amplifier. It's getting top reviews in the audiophile press.

It's NAD quality plus she'll impress any guy who walks in her room and thinks girls don't know about gear. Although a Hafler amp will certainly do that too.

harlond
09-12-2020, 09:35 PM
I have the Sprout and am very satisfied with it. I use it with a Brennan B2 and B&W 606 speakers. Sounds great. So far I have about 220 CDs loaded onto the B2; very satisfied with it also. Together the B2 and the Sprout have a very small footprint and hold an awful lot of music.

choke
09-13-2020, 03:20 AM
I think this would be near the top of my list if I was looking for an integrated amp, though it may be a bigger form factor than you want.

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/ta-100

srider
09-14-2020, 07:04 AM
I own the Sprout 100 and love it.

The phono stage is pretty good, Bluetooth is convenient (but like most has somewhat limited range..) and it easily powers a pair of B&W speakers in a large room.

I'd highly recommend it.

one60
09-14-2020, 08:00 AM
I have the Sprout and am very satisfied with it. I use it with a Brennan B2 and B&W 606 speakers. Sounds great. So far I have about 220 CDs loaded onto the B2; very satisfied with it also. Together the B2 and the Sprout have a very small footprint and hold an awful lot of music.

Been a few years since I indulged in audio equipment but curious why the B2 wouldn't be used alone? Not able to drive speakers?

I have an April Music Aura Note (V2). Lovely piece of kit powering front-ported bookshelf speakers (cannot recall brand but mid - hi end). Only issue with the Aura Note is lack of bluetooth feature. We added a bluetooth DAC but ultimately would like to find a more up to date option for an 'all in one' approach that isn't a bluetooth wireless speaker

Likes2ridefar
09-14-2020, 08:14 AM
How about just powered speakers? These even have hdmi to work with a TV:

https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-fives-powered-speakers?source=googleshopping&locale=en-US&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqfz6BRD8ARIsAIXQCf0gnD-ha2rvCQPMv-qNXRvtOEWgonbkpTwNUWGvQW5Tm798s0Zx3BIaAlaIEALw_wcB