PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Zoom" schooling and screen time...

XXtwindad
09-10-2020, 07:24 PM
Any parent who has dealt with the remote learning knows it's a real cluster****. The situation is compounded by the recent heat and fires here in the Bay Area and on the West Coast. Kids are stuck inside.

I'd love to say I'm the Dad who makes epic macrame projects with his daughters or builds Taj Mahal Lego replicas. Instead, I give in to their cajoling and turn on "Harry Potter." I know we're stumbling through this strange wilderness without a road map. But we have a remote...and that's part of the problem.

If any Paceline Parents have any sage advice, I'm definitely listening.

Hilltopperny
09-10-2020, 07:41 PM
This is a tough situation for any of us in it. We all have our faces buried in a screen for far more time than anybody should and now our kids will be doing even more of it.

I had a discussion a couple of weeks ago with educator friends and we are preparing for some good old fashioned home schooling if things do not get better with education here in NYS. This whole idea of online learning for young children is nonsense and they need social interaction. There is a lot more to be learned in a traditional school than just the curriculum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDS
09-10-2020, 08:35 PM
My daughters are three days into a hybrid half-day in school/half-day remote schedule. Still too early to say how well it will turn out in the end for my girls (4th and kindergarten). Being fully remote for the last few months of the prior school year was tough for the whole family and I really hope we can at least maintain the half-day program the school has implemented.

My 4th grader, for the first time ever, asked to go for a run with me this morning before school. Turns out her teacher is a runner so that may have something to do with it - perhaps trying to make a connection through running.

weisan
09-10-2020, 08:46 PM
We have done homeschooling full time, half-time, charter schools, public schools over the last 20+ years with 6 kids and all I can say is....don't pre-meditate what your child should or should not do. Every child is different and thrive under different settings. There's no one "option" that is the best for everyone. Believe it or not, for certain learner type, zoom schooling may well be the best thing to have come along since Jesus Christ. :p

joosttx
09-10-2020, 09:39 PM
I have to say my kid's teachers are doing an excellent job with distance learning. I am truly surprised how engaged my kids are. I have to say I think they are at a good age for it. But regardless I have been very impressed. With the smoke outdoors is shot.

My daughter has a very active Girl Scouts troop which is doing a lot outdoor activity and social service. My son is bro'ing around on bikes with friends and they are starting to explore Tam on their own which is so cool and scary for me. We are planning to surf and go to the beach tomorrow but that is probably not going to happen.

All in all this pandemic for the kids has been a positive.

barnabyjones
09-10-2020, 10:35 PM
I have to say my kid's teachers are doing an excellent job with distance learning. I am truly surprised how engaged my kids are. I have to say I think they are at a good age for it. But regardless I have been very impressed. With the smoke outdoors is shot.

That's what I keep seeing on local friend's Instagram stories. I guess it doesn't hurt to be in a school district where home values have doubled in the last 5 years to $1000/sq ft fueled in part by the reputation of the school district. I can only imagine the quality of public schools in certain Bay Area communities.

dbnm
09-10-2020, 10:46 PM
I've got a 3rd grader and a 6th grader.

Both are kicking my ass when it comes to the technology.

My 6th grader (daughter) got a Chromebook with her new school. She's on it all the time.

My 3rd grader (son) is already a little hacker and is always trying to get into my laptop, ipad or iphone. He is quite good with the Prodigy website (recommend).

We stop all digital things around 5pm and then off to bed after dinner.

d_douglas
09-10-2020, 11:41 PM
I've got a 3rd grader and a 6th grader.

Both are kicking my ass when it comes to the technology.

My 6th grader (daughter) got a Chromebook with her new school. She's on it all the time.

My 3rd grader (son) is already a little hacker and is always trying to get into my laptop, ipad or iphone. He is quite good with the Prodigy website (recommend).

We stop all digital things around 5pm and then off to bed after dinner.

Ha! Famous last words. Last Spring, my son did the same thing w Prodigy before it became an ‘out’ for him when I’d say to was time to do something non-digital — he’d just claim that he ‘was doin math Dad!!’ when using Prodigy, so we eventually needed to cut him off, a source of many tears. It’s been a summer of this behaviour :(

rzthomas
09-11-2020, 05:55 AM
Father of a kindergartner and first-year preschooler.

Preschooler went back to her full-time program a few weeks ago.

The kindergartner has been doing Zoom classes and they've been going OK. No one is really happy and seemingly getting anything out of it, so we've been supplementing heavily. But that's hard since my wife and I are both slammed at work (she's a professor and I am in a director-level position at UA).

So what happens is that the kid watches a lot of Netflix.

And we've decided that it's OK.

We let her watch her shows only after lunch and once she gets her work done and gets some exercise, which could mean yoga, a bike ride, or a scooter trip to the neighborhood fig tree.

Sometimes she watches a lot of TV (3+ hours or so), but I don't have a good alternative. It's hot here in Alabama so it's not like any of us are super motivated to go to a park or hang outside for extended periods in the middle of the day. And I have to work. It all sucks.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2020, 06:27 AM
We have done homeschooling full time, half-time, charter schools, public schools over the last 20+ years with 6 kids and all I can say is....don't pre-meditate what your child should or should not do. Every child is different and thrive under different settings. There's no one "option" that is the best for everyone. Believe it or not, for certain learner type, zoom schooling may well be the best thing to have come along since Jesus Christ. :p

Hmm, how about 'sliced bread' or a hundred better things..:eek:

Online learning has been going on because of Covid for what 3 months? Couple of months last year and this month?? Temporary and the best of a crappy situation..My grand daughters(9 and 7, 2nd and 4th grade) so online 100%, wife and I 'hall monitor' 2 or so days a week..yes, when done, no screen until school is out, they do look at their ipads and watch some TV BUT..these are tough times for THEM too..depending on the kid, maybe even tougher than for any adult. Gonna get tougher as the weather gets colder BUT, moderation in all things, get them onto their bikes as much as you can, ride with them..BUT some slack these tough times, IMHO, of course.

Second thought..ipads, screen time 'may' be the only way to connect with their friends and young relatives too, face time type..My grand daughters 'see', face to face, only a few kids..our 'pod', nobody else..

mhespenheide
09-11-2020, 07:46 AM
Father of a kindergartner and first-year preschooler.

Preschooler went back to her full-time program a few weeks ago.

The kindergartner has been doing Zoom classes and they've been going OK. No one is really happy and seemingly getting anything out of it, so we've been supplementing heavily. But that's hard since my wife and I are both slammed at work (she's a professor and I am in a director-level position at UA).

So what happens is that the kid watches a lot of Netflix.

And we've decided that it's OK.

We let her watch her shows only after lunch and once she gets her work done and gets some exercise, which could mean yoga, a bike ride, or a scooter trip to the neighborhood fig tree.

Sometimes she watches a lot of TV (3+ hours or so), but I don't have a good alternative. It's hot here in Alabama so it's not like any of us are super motivated to go to a park or hang outside for extended periods in the middle of the day. And I have to work. It all sucks.

RZ,

Depending on whether you know any parents in similar situations that you trust, you might want to look into setting up a "pod" of 4 to 8 kids (2-3 families) and then pool resources to hire someone to come in. I know of at least one former first-grade teacher who stopped working at a public school to do this. I know a number of parents in our area in CA who were looking to do it -- sort of set up their own micro- charter school. But is does expose your kids (and you) to a higher risk.

We were going split daycare with our 1-year old, thinking that the additional contact would be helpful for him, before we ended up moving out of the area at the last minute.

mhespenheide
09-11-2020, 07:57 AM
Online learning has been going on because of Covid for what 3 months? Couple of months last year and this month?? Temporary and the best of a crappy situation...

Online learning for the strong majority of the population has been going on for less than ~six months.

Online learning as a general idea and option has been going on for decades.

I have to stand up for Weisan-pal here, because I think he's trying to make the point that -- however unlikely -- it's not impossible that some kids might be better served or flourish in this new environment even as it's a negative for most kids.

Public education is a fantastic net positive communal good, but it doesn't serve all students' needs equally well.

verticaldoug
09-11-2020, 08:21 AM
I think there are so many little things parents can do to supplement the on-line study. It can turn out to be a really good experience. For the younger children, I think their social skills are what will fall behind.

If you are fortunate and in a situation where you can afford a private teacher in a pod of like-minded students, I believe you'd see a real acceleration in the quality and pace of learning of the students. But the high quality private tutor is probably already taken or the prices have quickly rising.

DeBike
09-11-2020, 08:29 AM
It is a difficult, challenging time for all. I drive a school bus for an independent contractor. We are scheduled to begin next Thursday, 9/17. I have a meeting to attend today regarding the procedure for getting students on and off the bus, and disinfecting between school runs. Most drivers in this area have routes that necessitate going to 2 or 3 schools each run. Obviously, that means disinfecting after the drop off at each school. A 72 passenger rated bus will be allowed only 23 students at a time. One student in the middle position of each bench seat, no physical contact, seating from back to front, disembarking from front to back. Immediate reporting to school administration with any issues regarding these procedures is mandatory. They will do the contacting of parents/guardians.

Many parents have opted to not send their children to school for the start. How remote learning is going to be implemented, and how it is going to work, is still a work in progress. This whole situation is likely to impact the children long term.

I will not be at all surprised if a spike in cases becomes apparent. If that happens, the schools will likely be shut down again for on campus learning. I do not see how school districts would be able to guarantee the safety of the students. Delaware has voted to reinstate fall sports. It still has to be approved by the powers that be. IMO, this makes no sense. If it is not known that the schools can safely teach on campus, how can starting up sports do anything but complicate the situation? Realistically, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. As in all situations, good will come with the bad.

I am glad that I do not have children in school, also, that I do not work in the schools themselves, in any capacity. Admin, teacher, custodian, no thanks!

rzthomas
09-11-2020, 11:10 AM
RZ,

Depending on whether you know any parents in similar situations that you trust, you might want to look into setting up a "pod" of 4 to 8 kids (2-3 families) and then pool resources to hire someone to come in. I know of at least one former first-grade teacher who stopped working at a public school to do this. I know a number of parents in our area in CA who were looking to do it -- sort of set up their own micro- charter school. But is does expose your kids (and you) to a higher risk.

We were going split daycare with our 1-year old, thinking that the additional contact would be helpful for him, before we ended up moving out of the area at the last minute.

Ahh, I forgot to mention our pod. Yes, we've got another family that shares virtual teaching+babysitting duties with our kindergartner –– we get their daughter MW and they take ours T/Th and we alternate Fridays. It's been huge for the sanity of all.

barnabyjones
09-11-2020, 05:13 PM
I will not be at all surprised if a spike in cases becomes apparent. If that happens, the schools will likely be shut down again for on campus learning. I do not see how school districts would be able to guarantee the safety of the students. Delaware has voted to reinstate fall sports. It still has to be approved by the powers that be. IMO, this makes no sense. If it is not known that the schools can safely teach on campus, how can starting up sports do anything but complicate the situation? Realistically, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. As in all situations, good will come with the bad.

I am glad that I do not have children in school, also, that I do not work in the schools themselves, in any capacity. Admin, teacher, custodian, no thanks!

I'm convinced officials have more access to information behind outbreaks and transmission than what is available on CNN, Fox News, NYT and local media. We'd hope this information guides decisions wisely.

https://itsgame7.com/after-1000-high-school-football-games-no-big-covid-outbreaks/

More than 1,000 high school football games have been played over the past month across multiple states.

Utah, for example, launched youth sports more than five weeks ago. Alabama, Indiana and Tennessee commenced with high school football roughly four weeks ago. Alaska has been allowing games for more than two weeks.

Many have been wondering whether these events would ultimately lead to an increase in COVID-19 cases being spread within communities.

Despite more than a thousand individual games having taken place, no significant recorded outbreaks of COVID-19 have occurred as a result.

XXtwindad
09-11-2020, 05:24 PM
I'm convinced officials have more access to information behind outbreaks and transmission than what is available on CNN, Fox News, NYT and local media. We'd hope this information guides decisions wisely.

https://itsgame7.com/after-1000-high-school-football-games-no-big-covid-outbreaks/

More than 1,000 high school football games have been played over the past month across multiple states.

Utah, for example, launched youth sports more than five weeks ago. Alabama, Indiana and Tennessee commenced with high school football roughly four weeks ago. Alaska has been allowing games for more than two weeks.

Many have been wondering whether these events would ultimately lead to an increase in COVID-19 cases being spread within communities.

Despite more than a thousand individual games having taken place, no significant recorded outbreaks of COVID-19 have occurred as a result.

Many parents I know think that there’s been a lack of imagination, if not willpower on the part of public schools. Outdoor education should’ve been looked at much closer here in the West Coast. Though now it obviously has its own drawbacks unrelated to the Pandemic.

barnabyjones
09-11-2020, 05:37 PM
Many parents I know think that there’s been a lack of imagination, if not willpower on the part of public schools. Outdoor education should’ve been looked at much closer here in the West Coast. Though now it obviously has its own drawbacks unrelated to the Pandemic.

As they say, I don't have any dogs in that fight, other than a circle of friends which includes 5 public school teachers, all of whom would have been open to innovation until their unions drew a line in the sand. A line which may submerge the futures of many of our children.

XXtwindad
09-11-2020, 05:43 PM
As they say, I don't have any dogs in that fight, other than a circle of friends which includes 5 public school teachers, all of whom would have been open to innovation until their unions drew a line in the sand. A line which may submerge the futures of many our children.

For better or worse, yes.

AngryScientist
09-11-2020, 05:49 PM
Thank god this week is over.

it's been a rough one, all around.

joosttx
09-11-2020, 06:18 PM
For better or worse, yes.

It’s time for parents to take some responsibility and teach their kids resourcefulness. I cannot say enough positive things about how our district has handled the pandemic zoom teaching. My kids are learning, they are interacting with friends safely. I spend about 30 minutes to 1hr tutoring them M-th. My son is finally writing which he hated. Ow he loves it. It’s awesome to see improvement in just over two weeks. Resilience is a trait everyone should learn and this is an excellent to instill it in your children. Even with the smoke we are doing well.

XXtwindad
09-11-2020, 06:27 PM
It’s time for parents to take some responsibility and teach their kids resourcefulness. I cannot say enough positive things about how our district has handled the pandemic zoom teaching. My kids are learning, they are interacting with friends safely. I spend about 30 minutes to 1hr tutoring them M-th. My son is finally writing which he hated. Ow he loves it. It’s awesome to see improvement in just over two weeks. Resilience is a trait everyone should learn and this is an excellent to instill it in your children. Even with the smoke we are doing well.

A quote from an earlier thread you had....this kind of resourcefulness? :)

Quote:

Understood. It was really cathartic to write this out. We live in a school district with some very wealthy people. What some well to do parents are doing is joining together and hiring private tutors to teach their kids next year. Basically, creating their own private schools.

mdeth1313
09-11-2020, 06:53 PM
As they say, I don't have any dogs in that fight, other than a circle of friends which includes 5 public school teachers, all of whom would have been open to innovation until their unions drew a line in the sand. A line which may submerge the futures of many of our children.

Yup, those generalizations are great. In my district, my union fought the administration as they kept trying to make us scale back our curriculum to make it "easier" for the kids (and parents) - to the point of making it a complete waste of having school in any form.

joosttx
09-11-2020, 07:31 PM
A quote from an earlier thread you had....this kind of resourcefulness? :)

Quote:

Understood. It was really cathartic to write this out. We live in a school district with some very wealthy people. What some well to do parents are doing is joining together and hiring private tutors to teach their kids next year. Basically, creating their own private schools.

That is what some folks did. Word on the street is some are now regretting it. And that is not the resourcefulness I am talking about. Resourcefulness is what you do about a tough situation not about the money you throw at it.

XXtwindad
09-11-2020, 07:34 PM
That is what some folks did. Word on the street is some are now regretting it. And that is not the resourcefulness I am talking about. Resourcefulness is what you do about a tough situation not about the money you throw at it.

Ah. OK. Thanks for the clarification. Your earlier quote seemed a tad contradictory, so I was a little confused. 😉

dbnm
09-11-2020, 07:39 PM
My daughter started a new private school 3 weeks ago.

This coming Monday is going to be her first day on campus with a hybrid schedule.

This afternoon her math teacher resigned and her spanish teacher will be teaching via zoom only.

And so it begins.

FlashUNC
09-11-2020, 08:05 PM
Yup, those generalizations are great. In my district, my union fought the administration as they kept trying to make us scale back our curriculum to make it "easier" for the kids (and parents) - to the point of making it a complete waste of having school in any form.

There is more than an insignificant part of this push to get kids back into school because of the daily babysitting, rather than any interest in a child's education. Late stage capitalism and all that.

joosttx
09-11-2020, 08:10 PM
My daughter started a new private school 3 weeks ago.

This coming Monday is going to be her first day on campus with a hybrid schedule.

This afternoon her math teacher resigned and her spanish teacher will be teaching via zoom only.

And so it begins.

They can get paid more teaching two or three families than an entire school. Which is safer and more lucrative? We have a friend with a masters degree in education who was teaching preschoolers at a well to do preschool. She was making $24K. She did not return and now she is working for two families making $50K.

Bruce K
09-11-2020, 11:34 PM
We are fully remote to start with the exception of our high needs scholars. Those that are homeless, have special education needs, participate in sub-separate programs, or who did not engage in remote learning last spring are learning in small hubs in the buildings.

All kids are participating in a program where they meet teachers and a small group of classmates for social/emotional learning activities.

One of our teachers caught the disease while teaching in the summer program and brought it home to her spouse. They thankfully recovered but it was a rough few weeks.

My wife is very high risk so I am fully remote. I know how hard we are working to provide low entry-high outcome lessons that hit priority standards so that all our students will reap the maximum benefit from their time. We spent about 3 times the amount of pew-start planning and training to make this year the best it can be.

BK

barnabyjones
09-12-2020, 01:08 AM

It's not a generalization. As I mentioned I have 5 good friends who are teachers in school districts in Southern California. The union for the teachers in the LA Unified School District has taken the following stand:

But in Los Angeles, the decision has to reopen schools has become political.

The Los Angeles Teacher’s Union is one of the largest in the state, and the “United Teachers Los Angeles” say public schools should not reopen unless their demands are met.

Their demands include implementing a moratorium on private schools, defunding the police, increasing taxes on the wealthy, implementing Medicare for all, and passing the HEROES Act, which allocated and additional $116 billion in federal education funding to the states.

The unions demands also took aim at charter schools.

The United Teachers Los Angeles union says these policies must be implemented on both the state and national level before reopening schools.

https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-teachers-union-says-public-schools-should-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

Anyway, mdeth, if you want to get into a philosophical debate or put words in my mouth, read this first:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/im-nurse-teachers-should-do-their-jobs-like-i-did/614902/

IDEAS
I’m a Nurse in New York. Teachers Should Do Their Jobs, Just Like I Did.
Schools are essential to the functioning of our society, and that makes teachers essential workers.

mdeth1313
09-12-2020, 04:37 AM
IDEAS
Schools are essential to the functioning of our society, and that makes teachers essential workers.

Apples and oranges if you really want to look into that - treating the sick compared to putting kids (and adults) into situations where they could end up in school and spreading it.

BUT:

I'll step right up, just as soon as I get those N95 masks and the other PPE.

Oh - that's right it needs to be saved for the healthcare workers. I guess some jobs are more essential than others.

On the political front - I have no idea if that's what the LA union did. I don't agree with that stuff if it's keeping kids out of the classroom. I can tell you next year will be a disaster for schools - there will be no money and everything will be cut. Teachers, programs, you name it.

But, I'd also like to thank you for making a general statement about teacher's unions, because once union in one city in one state represents all of us, at least from what you said. If you want to get into charter schools, I've got a laundry list on those as well, but that's not really the topic here.

But, one more thing - the NYT always refers to teachers unions like the Republican part - "The all powerful teacher's union." Compared to police unions, they don't look so powerful.

oldpotatoe
09-12-2020, 06:25 AM

Oh please...2 months last year and maybe 5 months this year..it's not like sending your kids to the country for 4-5 YEARS to escape the bombing.

PLUS..
'draw a line in the sand'..when it comes to life and death, I don't think that's a bad idea. Innovation, sure, but no $, no facilities, no equipment. By the time that's in place, this whole gig will(hopefully) be over.
IDEAS

I agree and it's not like teachers aren't available for online learning. Teachers are trying to do their job, but understandably, don't want to risk THEIR life or the lives of their relatives, to teach face to face.
PLUS, thank you for your service, BUT how many of your fellow nurses got sick and (very sorry) died?
Bit different..your job was the very definition of life and death..Teachers, thankfully, aren't in the life and death arena.

OBTW-'essential workers'..please include those working at liquor stores, weed shops(Colorado) and gun stores...:eek:

happycampyer
09-12-2020, 07:49 AM
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/im-nurse-teachers-should-do-their-jobs-like-i-did/614902/

IDEAS
This is pretty disingenuous. As OP noted, hospitals are already in the “life and death” business. They have cleaning procedures to cut down on nosocomial infections. They (are supposed to) have PPE, with protocols for disposal etc. A lot of healthcare workers that work on non-essential care (e.g., cosmetic surgery, etc.) weren’t working. Hospital budgets and resources were (and are) obviously stretched, but schools have none of the protections (not even the schools that arm their teachers...).

In the healthcare facility I go to for non-urgent care, the “waiting room” is the parking lot. You get a text message instructing you to respond “I’m here” to let the dr’s office know you are there. The dr’s office then texts you when it is time to come in. Everyone who enters is screened for temperature etc. and must use a hand disinfectant (and of course wear a mask). How is a school supposed to operate with a similar level of protection?

SlowPokePete
09-12-2020, 08:18 AM
How is a school supposed to operate with a similar level of protection?

As a teacher who just retired, this is EXACTLY the difference.

SPP

ti_or_die
09-12-2020, 10:51 AM
I am a high school teacher in Canada - there is a much lower level of active cases, yet the same policies and procedures are put in place. We had our first week back at school to begin preparing. Unfortunately, with the numbers of parents who opt-out their children, the courses and scheduling have still not been finalized (hopefully by today though). For those students who opt-out of in-class learning, they will be shifted to a virtual school. Due to the enrollment dropping, the excess teachers will be re-deployed to the virtual school.

The dual semesters will now be quadmesters, with each course running for two months. How the students will learn and master English, Math, and Science...I don't know. Each class is divided in half (cohort A & B) to have physical distancing and each cohort will come on alternating days. Normally I would have 97 classes of a course per semester - this is whittled down to 15 2.5 hour classes (so 30 classes) and the rest of it will be either online classes or independently assigned.

This is going to be an interesting experience to say the least.

barnabyjones
09-12-2020, 11:08 AM

But, I'd also like to thank you for making a general statement about teacher's unions, because once union in one city in one state represents all of us, at least from what you said. If you want to get into charter schools, I've got a laundry list on those as well, but that's not really the topic here.

But, one more thing - the NYT always refers to teachers unions like the Republican part - "The all powerful teacher's union." Compared to police unions, they don't look so powerful.

You made that statement. I was referring to 2 unions, UTLA and a smaller union which follows the policies of UTLA. These unions allow my friends to own multiple $50K vehicles and reside in homes worth $700K plus. Not unlike the players associations of the NBA and MLB, UTLA unilaterally advocates for its membership. Whether children come out ahead or are a priority that's for someone else to determine.

If this isn't the proverbial line in the sand...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-09-05/l-a-teachers-union-opposes-small-groups-of-students-on-campus

By HOWARD BLUME STAFF WRITER
SEP. 5, 20206:30 AM
Citing safety concerns, the leader of the Los Angeles teachers union said Friday it opposes reopening campuses for small in-person classes or one-on-one services for students who are disabled or learning English — even though county health officials have cleared the way to do so.

Some outside advocacy groups pushed back against the union’s position and the unwillingness of the L.A. Unified School District to address the issue directly and publicly.

“The students that have disproportionately suffered over the last several months in LAUSD are students with disabilities and English learners,” said Vanessa Aramayo, executive director of the local group Alliance for a Better Community. “They must be immediately prioritized and they must get the services they are entitled to legally. The learning loss is significant so there needs to be urgency.”

XXtwindad
09-12-2020, 11:13 AM
It's not a generalization. As I mentioned I have 5 good friends who are teachers in school districts in Southern California. The union for the teachers in the LA Unified School District has taken the following stand:

But in Los Angeles, the decision has to reopen schools has become political.

The Los Angeles Teacher’s Union is one of the largest in the state, and the “United Teachers Los Angeles” say public schools should not reopen unless their demands are met.

Their demands include implementing a moratorium on private schools, defunding the police, increasing taxes on the wealthy, implementing Medicare for all, and passing the HEROES Act, which allocated and additional $116 billion in federal education funding to the states.

The unions demands also took aim at charter schools.

The United Teachers Los Angeles union says these policies must be implemented on both the state and national level before reopening schools.

https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-teachers-union-says-public-schools-should-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

Anyway, mdeth, if you want to get into a philosophical debate or put words in my mouth, read this first:

IDEAS

This is an interesting and well-written opinion. In the nascent stages of the Pandemic, I felt similarly. And then, I had an hour-long conversation with my best friend, who's been an elementary school teacher for the past 25 years. Her Mom is terminally ill. If she were forced to go back to school, she would be unable to see her Mom before she died. See Bruce K's comments as well.

Ultimately, it all depends on whose skin you inhabit.

With that being said, I agree with you that all the parties involved seem to have a woeful lack of imagination when it comes to solutions.

Tex999
09-12-2020, 11:16 PM
Given that it seemed unlikely the teacher's union would be against opening until things that only the federal government could setup (and would probably take years even if Democrats controlled all 3 branches) seemed very unlikely, I went to their website looking at all the contract bargaining documents and there is nothing like this at all anywhere that I could find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tex999
09-12-2020, 11:27 PM
I did find that they have a We Rise Together campaign that says shouldn'treopenschools with contact tracing, adequate testing,etc all reasonable science based stuff.
It also goes into that the pandemic highlights system racismetc and then goes into supporting defunding the police, Medicare for all etc. but is totally clear that these are future goals.
So that news article was completely incorrect at best and I bet the info was given to the station by opposing groups and used w/o even basic investigation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk