PDA

View Full Version : Little rusty puddle BB area of my steel rig - normal?

pooneej
09-10-2020, 05:14 PM
So now I see why I should've sprayed some frame saver when building this up 3 months ago. I took crankset off tonight to install a PM and was a little suprised to see this rusty muck.

I wash this bike without even thinking about water seeping in. But another rider friend said his steel bikes never did this and its not normal. But then again I doubt he ever took a crankset off!

Curious if this is normal or not?
https://imgur.com/RPvNScW

prototoast
09-10-2020, 05:17 PM
If there's no drain hole at the bottom of your BB, drill one.

Louis
09-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Or, you don't want to do that, after particularly wet rides you could use the threaded hole for the cable guide retaining screw. (if there is one) Be sure to put plenty of grease on the screw when you put it back in.

bigbill
09-10-2020, 06:00 PM
I smear some waterproof grease around the inside of the bottom bracket shell. If you have a guide screw, the grease won't interfere with draining water.

charliedid
09-10-2020, 06:14 PM
What bike?
How often you wash it and how?
You ride through creeks and streams?
Were the cranks and BB all tight as per normal?
What's your favorite color?

DeBike
09-10-2020, 06:20 PM
I have pulled a couple of BBs from steel frames, a couple that had some corrosion/light rust, but not that bad. Certainly not 3 months since the last time it was pulled. I do like bigbill with the grease all around the inside of the BB. Definitely do the drain hole if one is not present.

smead
09-10-2020, 06:35 PM
Why do you "wash" your bike? Do you spray it w/ a hose? If so, don't. Water will find it's way into HS, BB, and wheel bearings. I always start with a soaked wash cloth and take off the heavy muck, then follow with a damp rag, then a dry one. There's no need to be a hoser.

pooneej
09-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Why do you "wash" your bike? Do you spray it w/ a hose? If so, don't. Water will find it's way into HS, BB, and wheel bearings. I always start with a soaked wash cloth and take off the heavy muck, then follow with a damp rag, then a dry one. There's no need to be a hoser.

Yes I never use a pressure washer but hose with the nozzle and spray down the bike. It's my first steel bike so I really didnt think of any difference washing it compared to my CF or previous aluminum bikes (although I never took cranksets off of those so who knows what those looked like down there).
I definitely wont be doing any hosing anymore!

All cleaned up now. thanks

pooneej
09-10-2020, 06:48 PM
What bike?
How often you wash it and how?
You ride through creeks and streams?
Were the cranks and BB all tight as per normal?
What's your favorite color?

This is a Battaglin Power+ that I would wash with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Never ridden through deep puddles! Yep: cranks BB torqued to spec.
lol - favorite color now that I just got a Bianchi to build up = celeste !

charliedid
09-10-2020, 06:56 PM
This is a Battaglin Power+ that I would wash with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Never ridden through deep puddles! Yep: cranks BB torqued to spec.
lol - favorite color now that I just got a Bianchi to build up = celeste !

I might suggest a spray of Frame Saver or some other like T9 etc. but I use a hose and sprayer for years and rust from that is not a problem.

I'm a hoser and don't have this problem with my Gunnars

jtbadge
09-10-2020, 07:03 PM

+1. Most under BB cable guides have two holes, one for the mounting screw, the other a perfect location and guide for drilling a drain hole.

And don't spray your bike with a hose anymore.

donevwil
09-10-2020, 07:49 PM
I did a rainy century 10 or so years ago on my Potts (he opposes drain holes). The following day I pulled the bike off the hanger for a ride, I heard some sloshing and to my uncalibrated arms the bike felt heavier. After sloshing was confirmed I pulled the BB guide screw and watched as a pint glass load of water ran onto my shop floor. Still flabbergasted how that much water made it in.

Yes to drain holes, yes to a layer of well placed grease, yes to frame saver on steel bikes, yes to pulling cranks or BBs more often than one thinks.

Blue Jays
09-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Glad to see this thread has a happy ending with the BB gleaming and rust-free! :hello:

m_sasso
09-10-2020, 10:43 PM
So many waterless washes these days, grab one from your local auto parts store and keep the water for your pets and plants.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2020, 06:14 AM
Yes I never use a pressure washer but hose with the nozzle and spray down the bike. It's my first steel bike so I really didnt think of any difference washing it compared to my CF or previous aluminum bikes (although I never took cranksets off of those so who knows what those looked like down there).
I definitely wont be doing any hosing anymore!

All cleaned up now. thanks

Use a thin blade, take the cart bearing seal off and squirt grease in there, seal back on....
I might suggest a spray of Frame Saver

If you-all do that, make sure it's DRY before you put things back together..tFrameSaver can eat a bearing
I did a rainy century 10 or so years ago on my Potts (he opposes drain holes).

That makes no sense to me. Moots doesn't either and I have drilled a many holes in BB shells.

Bentley
09-11-2020, 06:45 AM
So many waterless washes these days, grab one from your local auto parts store and keep the water for your pets and plants.

I use one on my bikes, but I still periodically use soap and water to get the grime off. Feels like the waterless is less than a complete cleaning.

I hear people use “baby wipes” like the waterless I see that as less than a complete solution

Just my opinion, would be good to see real data

Steve in SLO
09-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Classic regimen: Soft brush off visible dirt/grit, spray with Fantastik, then finish with Pledge.