PDA

View Full Version : Peter Sagan - is he donzo for this tour?

zmalwo
09-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Sagan is 66 points away from Sam Bennett, what's his chance of making a come back with 9 stages left? Do you guys think this would be his first TDF in 8 years without winning?

rnhood
09-10-2020, 04:48 PM
They really shafted him, and if I were him I would bail out and start training for his next event.

bicycletricycle
09-10-2020, 04:50 PM
he is not riding great and is very far behind. hard for him to get in green again IMHO

Spdntrxi
09-10-2020, 04:51 PM
They really shafted him, and if I were him I would bail out and start training for his next event.

yep.. I'd give the ole' Wout finger to the tour and work towards the WC.. maybe this is WC training after all. ;)

LouDeeter
09-10-2020, 05:02 PM
I thought he looked pretty good in the field sprint today, but most of the sprinters were gone by the time they got to the line.

ultraman6970
09-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Sagan is one of those riders that need to race all the time.. no race affects him.

kiwisimon
09-10-2020, 06:07 PM

rules are there to be followed. When you break them, real men take it on the chin and carry on. Brats pack up their toys and go home.

Fact is SAGAN was out of form in that sprint and got desperate. He is still out of form. He should use the rest of this tour as training and pay his dues to his sponsors and fans.

charliedid
09-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Er ah well, I dunno...maybe. We'll just have to see how it goes.:)

Peter P.
09-10-2020, 06:43 PM
I think Peter's past his peak as a sprinter. I still love him as a rider, and I think he still has some classics victories in his legs.

I hope he proves me wrong.

fignon's barber
09-10-2020, 06:59 PM
Every time I see him get distanced or lose a sprint now, I can't help but think of an interview I saw him do a couple months ago during the lockdown. The interviewer commented on how some of the other pros were racking up huge indoor training sessions and sticking to a strict training program. Sagan responded, "Hahaha. I'm an outdoor cyclist. I don't do indoor cycling. HAHAHAHA!". I guess training is training.

untarded
09-10-2020, 07:00 PM
He doesn't look to be on top form. Wondering how much the pandemic has affected his training coming into the tour.

It sucks to see him get relegated but I agree with the judgement.

Elefantino
09-10-2020, 07:20 PM
He's committed to the Giro. Head-to-head with Gaviria and, maybe, Demare.

Worlds course doesn't suit him.

Tz779
09-10-2020, 07:24 PM
rules are there to be followed. When you break them, real men take it on the chin and carry on. Brats pack up their toys and go home.

Fact is SAGAN was out of form in that sprint and got desperate. He is still out of form. He should use the rest of this tour as training and pay his dues to his sponsors and fans.

👆🏼 This. And help team score some stage wins.

mep
09-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Every time I see him get distanced or lose a sprint now, I can't help but think of an interview I saw him do a couple months ago during the lockdown. The interviewer commented on how some of the other pros were racking up huge indoor training sessions and sticking to a strict training program. Sagan responded, "Hahaha. I'm an outdoor cyclist. I don't do indoor cycling. HAHAHAHA!". I guess training is training.This is the reason why he's out of form. He hasn't just suddenly went over his peak this year.

merckx
09-10-2020, 07:38 PM
I think Peter's past his peak as a sprinter. I still love him as a rider, and I think he still has some classics victories in his legs.

I hope he proves me wrong.

He is just 30 yo.

harlond
09-10-2020, 07:44 PM
He'd have to score high in the intermediate sprints in at least 3, probably 4, of the remaining stages and stay even with Bennett in the other sprints. That's a tough ask, and looking at the parcours for the remaining stages, it's a really tough ask. If he has a chance, he probably has to start by getting big points in tomorrow's intermediate sprint.

It was encouraging that Sagan stayed with the yellow jersey group in today's stage. He should be better able to survive the mountain stages than most of the other sprinters. He's Peter Sagan, if anyone can do it, it's him.

Miller76
09-10-2020, 07:58 PM

+1 for this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmudshark
09-10-2020, 08:14 PM
Er ah well, I dunno...maybe. We'll just have to see how it goes.:)
It is what it is:rolleyes:

rccardr
09-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Not sure it’s a matter of him having lost form as much as other riders raising their game.
The shoulder thing, well...that’s acceptable maybe four or five years ago, but apparently not today.
Would be very difficult for anyone, let alone Sagan, to regain the green given the current circumstances. That’s a lotta points to make up, especially when you look at his team mates. Not a super amount of support there.

fiamme red
09-10-2020, 08:23 PM
Paging FlashUNC... :)

charliedid
09-10-2020, 08:29 PM
It is what it is:rolleyes:

BTW that was written in my best Peter Sagan voice, if it wasn't clear :p

bikinchris
09-10-2020, 08:31 PM
I thought he looked pretty good in the field sprint today, but most of the sprinters were gone by the time they got to the line.

Sagan always looks good against non sprinters or sprinters who with their legs gone. That's how he wins the green jersey every time. He goes in breaks that true sprinters can't. He stays in the peloton when true sprinters can't. Then he has such a green jersey points lead that him coming in 5th in a true field sprint means nothing.

The Tour should cut the points for not winning a true field sprint. In fact, in my opinion, riders should find it terribly difficult to win the green jersey without winning or coming second in every field sprint.

If he keeps pulling boneheaded stunts like today, he can forget the green jersey,

Macadamia
09-10-2020, 09:02 PM
I don't think he has anything to prove after the 3peat. He's also said he wants to get out of the sport relatively soon.

But, with cycling and every other sport I'm counting this year as a wash. Sure it's fun to watch but I think everyone's training and prep has been a mess and not really indicative of anything.

Skenry
09-10-2020, 09:33 PM
OK who else is old and had to Google the word "donzo"?

FlashUNC
09-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Paging FlashUNC... :)

Baahahahahahahahahaha.

Yes, let's all look forward to him flopping around like a fish out of water in the Giro as well this year. It'll be wonderful. Like watching the Bizarro Merckx, bodging up chances at two Grand Tours in a year.

Definitely makes sense to go there and pass up Roubaix and all the classics that he's supposedly a better rider for.

redir
09-10-2020, 10:23 PM
It's not unusual for sprinters to abandon the tour.

jlwdm
09-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Not sure it’s a matter of him having lost form as much as other riders raising their game.
The shoulder thing, well...that’s acceptable maybe four or five years ago, but apparently not today.
Would be very difficult for anyone, let alone Sagan, to regain the green given the current circumstances. That’s a lotta points to make up, especially when you look at his team mates. Not a super amount of support there.

I totally disagree with you on Sagan's form. He has been poor all tour and finally looked better yesterday. I don't think we have a strong group of sprinters these days and we haven'f for a few years.

I also think the TDF has done a poor job on the finish on sprint stages. Too many tight turns with narrow roads - accidents waiting to happen.

Jeff

Frankwurst
09-10-2020, 10:53 PM
Everything is everything. He got pooched. Word has it he said "excuse me" as he bumped into Wout. Some days you eat the bear and ..... well you know.:beer:

tctyres
09-11-2020, 12:49 AM
I'm not going to lose sleep over Peter Sagan.

If the green jersey mattered, there are still plenty of intermediate and final sprint points to be had. He could make up almost the entire difference to Bennett on Stage 14.

rustychisel
09-11-2020, 02:00 AM
I'm not going to lose sleep over Peter Sagan.

If the green jersey mattered, there are still plenty of intermediate and final sprint points to be had. He could make up almost the entire difference to Bennett on Stage 14.

+ 1

consistency is the word. He's not there at the moment, but he's not far off.

DeBike
09-11-2020, 05:38 AM
I think for Sagan it is a matter of wanting it bad enough. He is 30 years old and has plenty left, if he is motivated. Something to prove can be strong motivation. Saying one is looking to get out of the sport before long does not show that. Criticism and doubt from others can definitely give a person the something to prove attitude. His talent level is still incredible.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2020, 05:55 AM

Who's 'they'?? Relegation...he might want to do the head butting and hip checks out of the sight of all the cameras..

Fixed
09-11-2020, 07:02 AM
Who's 'they'?? Relegation...he might want to do the head butting and hip checks out of the sight of all the cameras..
I heard he was trying to avoid a selfie stick from the crowd
Cheers

Tough crowd what has He won 6 Overall green jerseyS
Erik Zabal won what was it 5

Upcountry
09-11-2020, 09:46 AM
He has made it pretty clear he's "bored" with the sport of road cycling.... and it can show in some of his racing days. He just doesn't seem to have the fire that he once did, which I suppose comes from simply achieving almost everything he set his mind to. He has one more year with Bora and then I could see him getting a large paycheck from Specialized or Trek to be the face of Mountain Biking, in the US at least. I'm sure he'll do some world cup type races, but they wouldn't even have any pressure on him to do so, they'd be fine with him in baggy shorts popping wheelies for their catalogs. He sure was a pleasure to watch in his day though!

noonan1970
09-11-2020, 10:12 AM
racing into form and bet we will see him coming around the final week!

harlond
09-12-2020, 09:09 AM
Well, he's definitely not donzo. Looks like the mountains have broken Bennett.

trener1
09-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Tune in to the stage happening right now, he is about as far from donzo as I am to being in the tour.

jlwdm
09-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Sagan has clearly not been in good form but I have really been impressed by the rest of his team. They are probably frustrated though that Sagan can’t finish stages or intermediate sprints. Sponsors should be happy as the team has been on the front a lot.

Green and polka dot jerseys are strange competitions these days. Polka dot jersey goes to a rider that can’t climb with the GC riders and their support riders. Key is to loose a lot of time in early stages so you can go on breaks on mountain stages and chase points.

Jeff

mhespenheide
09-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Green and polka dot jerseys are strange competitions these days. Polka dot jersey goes to a rider that can’t climb with the GC riders and their support riders. Key is to loose a lot of time in early stages so you can go on breaks on mountain stages and chase points.

Jeff

Right? I feel like the polka dot jersey is worthless at this point — or at least it doesn’t reward the best climber. Perhaps a change to account for accumulated time through all of the climbs, like combining Strava segments? With time bonuses for place?

bikinchris
09-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Sagan has clearly not been in good form but I have really been impressed by the rest of his team. They are probably frustrated though that Sagan can’t finish stages or intermediate sprints. Sponsors should be happy as the team has been on the front a lot.

Jeff

I think the same thing about the polka dot jersey as I do about the green. These are specialty jerseys. You shouldn't be able to win the green jersey without winning a true field sprint and you shouldn't be able to win the polka dot jersey without winning a major mountain top finish.

As for the Bora team today, that was some dumb riding. Killing your own team so you have no chance to take maximum points is self defeating.

54ny77
09-12-2020, 08:42 PM
truth!

remember the days of lucho herrera or chiapucci battling it out, or virenque?

those guys were gc contenders too.

heck, even hinault won it. as did merckx. and you know those guys made people hurt in the process.

Jeff

Upcountry
09-13-2020, 10:00 AM
They really do need to re-think these jerseys from the point of providing more entertainment. They've done some points changes in an attempt at that, but it still seems that with some calculations riders can "game" that and not really have to win the big summits or sprints like you'd expect.

FlashUNC
09-13-2020, 10:25 AM
They really do need to re-think these jerseys from the point of providing more entertainment. They've done some points changes in an attempt at that, but it still seems that with some calculations riders can "game" that and not really have to win the big summits or sprints like you'd expect.

You mean like Sagan in this run of the last few years. Guys won the green jersey without even winning sprint stages.

reuben
09-13-2020, 11:36 AM
remember the days of lucho herrera or chiapucci battling it out, or virenque?

those guys were gc contenders too.

heck, even hinault won it. as did merckx. and you know those guys made people hurt in the process.

Cosnefroy was 37 minutes down on the stage today. Everyone has bad days, but I'm starting to move to the camp that some of the jersey points need to be redistributed.

GregL
09-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Cosnefroy was 37 minutes down on the stage today. Everyone has bad days, but I'm starting to move to the camp that some of the jersey points need to be redistributed.
I suggest taking a look at the polka dot jersey standings after today’s stage. Cosnefroy has just been keeping it warm for the rightful owners.

Greg

harlond
09-13-2020, 12:52 PM
I suggest taking a look at the polka dot jersey standings after today’s stage. Cosnefroy has just been keeping it warm for the rightful owners.

GregPogacar is now 2 points off the jersey, with Roglic third.