PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? A steel frame SS conundrum

BRad704
09-10-2020, 01:22 PM
So I picked up a stupidly cheap all steel single speed from Bike Island. Overall, for $249 shipped, I'm impressed. But I had to put in a little work to make it more than a heavy marginalized greenline bike.

New saddle

Used 110bcd crankset (for a 38t chainring)

18t freewheel

Swapped to 40mm Nano's (saved 1.5 lbs just in tires!)

Flat bars and stem (thanks Co-op)

M540 pedals out of my bin.

I've only got $80 in all the rest of these parts, so I still feel like I'm WAY ahead on life at this point.

I rode it last night on several local MTB trails and it was dang near perfect. But I noticed the front end wanted to dive anytime I was "getting some air Bro", and the wheels leave MUCH to be desired.

My conundrum... does it even make sense to spend more money on a cheap-cheap bike to make it just "decent" but still a fun ride?

My thought is that I could get a take-off or less expensive carbon fork and build/rebuild a wheelset to run tubeless and get away from cheap cup&cone hubs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/ead3fa5033580627e48da4e38f852f25.jpg

slowpoke
09-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Enjoy it!

Just be sure to check the spoke tension on those wheels--usually they're pretty low.

robt57
09-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Long chain stays, 74^ ST angle. Front dives....

More saddle setback, and shorter stem or bar reach??

Like BTW! ;)

BRad704
09-10-2020, 01:49 PM
Long chain stays, 74^ ST angle. Front dives....

More saddle setback, and shorter stem or bar reach??

Like BTW! ;)

Very fair points. :) I know I'm stretching the limits of this "gravel" bike, but it's so dang fun! I could get a shorter stem pretty easily, I was thinking maybe the sheer weight of the thick steel fork was brining it down.