PDA

View Full Version : OT: taking care of carbon steel folding knife (Opinel)

jasonification
09-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Hey all! The folding knife thread a while back definitely piqued my interest. On my way to my first camping trip with my wife, I finally decided to pick one up. I'm hoping to keep its main purpose as a camp kitchen knife. Any tips for maintenance or how to keep it long lasting/seasoned? Thanks in advance https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200910/4ea023ac7962fd2cd5ada3cfd9d01a36.jpg

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

gdw
09-10-2020, 01:22 PM
Just wash and dry the blade after using it and it won't rust. Sharpen it when it gets dull and it will outlast you. A simple sharpener like this one is easy to use and will keep the blade razor sharp. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YKHZ96/?tag=bcusa-20

slowpoke
09-10-2020, 01:22 PM
Wipe the blade down after every use to keep it dry as possible. You can put some food-safe mineral oil (not the hydraulic brake stuff) on a paper towel and wipe the knife with that as a rust preventative. Olive oil works too, but maybe you don't your food to have that flavor.

AngryScientist
09-10-2020, 01:37 PM
yes, just keep it clean and dry and you're good. any slight surface rust can be removed with a scotch pad or very light sandpaper.

opinel makes a great, simple knife. enjoy it!

Johnnysmooth
09-10-2020, 07:00 PM
It's a wonderful knife and keeps a great edge.
For mine, maybe rub a little veggie oil in when there is some surface rust then rub with a piece of Al foil - nearly good as new

Tandem Rider
09-10-2020, 08:36 PM
That's a great tool for camping, I've had mine since the 70's and it's still going strong with the little maintenance mentioned above.

Davist
09-11-2020, 06:32 AM
I'm looking to get one of these size recommendations?

BobbyJones
09-11-2020, 07:12 AM
I'm looking to get one of these size recommendations?
No. 8

That being said, I use one daily. Rinse and wipe after use. Dont even worry about the wood handle. A couple of minutes on the stone every now and then. Unless you’re cutting cans in your camp kitchen, the factory edge will last a long time.

Or when it gets dull, skip a couple of lattes if necessary and buy a new one.

More things should be made like Opinels.

oldpotatoe
09-11-2020, 07:15 AM
Had 2, can't find them..ordered a new one..for $14, free ship, hard to beat.

dbnm
09-11-2020, 08:29 AM
https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/tour-de-france

martl
09-11-2020, 09:03 AM
i like Opinels, but terribly highend they ai'nt (which is their charme); it would also be possible to get a generic one same size and just swap blades i believe

roguedog
09-11-2020, 09:07 AM
I keep hearing about Opinel knives and specifically No. 8.

What is it about Opinel that people repeatedly recommend? Is it just the price value? and why is No 8 always the recommendation.

Might grab a couple for the back of the car (been tailgating during Covid; grab food and then eat with hatchback up) but did kinda want to know about these knives.

9tubes
09-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I think the appeal is that they are inexpensive, look good, and being plain carbon steel that isn't too hard they are easy to sharpen.

They can be shined with steel wool, green scotch brite, or emery paper. I have one as an extra paring knife in the kitchen and just leave it with the patina.