PDA

View Full Version : Options for G3 replacement rims?

oliver1850
09-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Seems like some rim maker should be offering something with the 27 hole G3 drilling. I have a nice pair of 27/24 hubs but for what Campagnolo gets for replacement rims, I might as well buy another used pair of wheels.

I'm considering drilling 9 more spoke holes in the left flange if I can't come up with a reasonably priced 27 hole rim. Next question is what rims are available in 36 and 24 drilling?

oldpotatoe
09-10-2020, 06:19 AM
Seems like some rim maker should be offering something with the 27 hole G3 drilling. I have a nice pair of 27/24 hubs but for what Campagnolo gets for replacement rims, I might as well buy another used pair of wheels.

I'm considering drilling 9 more spoke holes in the left flange if I can't come up with a reasonably priced 27 hole rim. Next question is what rims are available in 36 and 24 drilling?

Nope, AFAIK

H+Son, Velocity, various. Drill holes in hubs? yikes. :eek:

wallymann
09-10-2020, 06:55 AM
Drill holes in hubs? yikes. :eek:

i dont see it as a big deal --> drill-press, sharp drill-bit, a wood fixture to gently locate/secure the rim, careful calculation & measurement of desired locations. its not rocket science.

weiwentg
09-10-2020, 07:49 AM
i dont see it as a big deal --> drill-press, sharp drill-bit, a wood fixture to gently locate/secure the rim, careful calculation & measurement of desired locations. its not rocket science.

Except that you're potentially putting a stress riser in a highly-stressed, thin metal part - a part that's already been under a lot of stress already!

You might object that oldpotatoe drilled his Merckx for electronic wiring, and you would have a point. However, that Merckx has relatively thick tubes. The areas drilled probably aren't that heavily stressed compared to a hub flange.

slambers3
09-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Harvest the hub guts and move on.

Velocipede
09-10-2020, 08:48 AM

If you don't mind waiting a month, Velocity will custom drill you rims. I had some drilled 26 hole for Mavic hubs.

Davist
09-10-2020, 09:03 AM
I'd bet you could use a 36 hole rim (if they even have those anymore) and just skip 9, which would look a little odd, but I saw something like that on the interwebs once a while ago. I'll defer to experts, of course.

AngryScientist
09-10-2020, 09:08 AM
I'd bet you could use a 36 hole rim (if they even have those anymore) and just skip 9, which would look a little odd, but I saw something like that on the interwebs once a while ago. I'll defer to experts, of course.

this is absolutely what i would do.

thirdgenbird
09-10-2020, 09:14 AM
If you don't mind waiting a month, Velocity will custom drill you rims. I had some drilled 26 hole for Mavic hubs.

I recall talking with someone that did this for a paired spoke hubset.

Which hubs are these? Silver quill rims with silver spokes laced to Campagnolo hubs sounds pretty intriguing.

Velocipede
09-10-2020, 09:28 AM
I recall talking with someone that did this for a paired spoke hubset.

Which hubs are these? Silver quill rims with silver spokes laced to Campagnolo hubs sounds pretty intriguing.

I used a set of black Mavic Crossmax hubs(same hubs used on the Helium wheels with Velocity Fusion aero shaped rims. Black spokes and alloy nipples. They look incredible and are pretty darn light.

Mark McM
09-10-2020, 11:52 AM

I too would do this.

The other advantage with 27 G3 spokes on a 36 hole rim is you'd have 9 pressure relief holes to keep the rim from exploding!

m_sasso
09-10-2020, 01:09 PM
I would think standard G3 spoke tension would far exceed most Velocity rim recommendations? Haven't worked with anything Velocity, newer than Aeroheads, and their recommended tension was pretty low.

Mark McM
09-10-2020, 03:13 PM
I would think standard G3 spoke tension would far exceed most Velocity rim recommendations? Haven't worked with anything Velocity, newer than Aeroheads, and their recommended tension was pretty low.

The G3 pattern should actually improve the tension situation, because it uses more uniform tensions between the right and left side. The G3 pattern allows a high average spoke tension, without requiring high drive side tension. The 130 kgf maximum tension recommended by Velocity should still yield a high average tension, and also a relatively high left side tension.

m_sasso
09-11-2020, 12:10 AM
The G3 pattern should actually improve the tension situation, because it uses more uniform tensions between the right and left side. The G3 pattern allows a high average spoke tension, without requiring high drive side tension. The 130 kgf maximum tension recommended by Velocity should still yield a high average tension, and also a relatively high left side tension.

All my Campagnolo G3 laced wheels, 3 set of Eurus and 1 set of Shamal Ultra's are factory spoke tensioned from 145kgf to 155kgf. The drive to non drive side tension, yes will be closer matched between spokes, however, the factory set tension from both sides will exceed Velocity's recommended limits.

Mark McM
09-11-2020, 07:53 AM
All my Campagnolo G3 laced wheels, 3 set of Eurus and 1 set of Shamal Ultra's are factory spoke tensioned from 145kgf to 155kgf. The drive to non drive side tension, yes will be closer matched between spokes, however, the factory set tension from both sides will exceed Velocity's recommended limits.

Interesting, but not really relevant. Correct spoke tension depends not so much on spoke lacing pattern, but mostly on the rim and number of spokes. This Campagnolo Wheel Tech document (http://www.campagnolo-sirer.cz/img/cms/N%C3%A1vody%20k%20pouziti/PREDPETI%20DRATU%20ZAPLETENYCH%20KOL_2015-2016.pdf) lists the spoke tensions on their wheels. A number of 27 spoke G3 wheels are listed, and many have maximum tensions of 100-125 kgf or 110-135 kgf, which also happen to fall within Velocity's rim specs. From personal experience, I have built 24 hole Velocity rims with 2:1 lacing patterns (16 right/8 left) and they have been ridden many thousands of miles without a problem.

m_sasso
09-11-2020, 12:02 PM
Interesting, and relevant.

From the Campagnolo document Eurus and Shamal Ultra's right side rear recommended spoke tension 125 to 160 kgf, easily exceeding Velocity's recommended rim limits. Likely fine for yourself, however wouldn't recommend building for the public in this manner.

Mark McM
09-11-2020, 12:08 PM
Interesting, and relevant.

From the Campagnolo document Eurus and Shamal Ultra's right side rear recommended spoke tension 125 to 160 kgf, easily exceeding Velocity's recommended rim limits.

But the tension is determined by the rim (not the spokes). If you're not using the Eurus or Shamal rim, you wouldn't be following the Shamal or Eurus tension recommendation.

m_sasso
09-11-2020, 12:17 PM
But the tension is determined by the rim (not the spokes). If you're not using the Eurus or Shamal rim, you wouldn't be following the Shamal or Eurus tension recommendation.

Disagree, wheels are an engineered unit, if the spokes are not tensioned properly they will not support the rim. Much spoke breakage is attributed to under tensioned spokes.

Mark McM
09-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Disagree, wheels are an engineered unit, if the spokes are not tensioned properly they will not support the rim.

I think you're going to have to go in the details of how the spokes support the rim to explain why a different rim can't be supported with a different spoke tension.

Base on what you're saying, custom wheels can't be built with off the shelf components, because components are only designed to work in a single design configuration.

m_sasso
09-11-2020, 12:34 PM
Done, you are making judgments on your assumptions.

Mark McM
09-11-2020, 12:43 PM
Done, you are making judgments on your assumptions.

Which assumptions are those? What judgements? Claiming that there can be no variations in wheel design is what requires assumptions and judgements.