PDA

View Full Version : Setting up shop

dirtdigger88
05-19-2004, 10:16 AM
After a two year long rehab project on my 100 year old house I am now so very near completion that I can start thinking about fun stuff... A bike workshop!! The boss has given me the ok to take a corner of the basement and build my own little shop area. :banana: You know some nice bright light, peg board, a bench. It may be a little dorky, but I want it to look line a nice bike shop work area. I want to get a good stand and start buying tools. My question is which tools. I have already made up my mind that I want Parks Tools, but I mean which tool specificly? I have looked at some of the "kits" but it seems like you are paying for quite a bit of tools that you (I) don't need. Which tools are a must have off the bat and which ones would be nice to have down the line? :D

Jason

Roy E. Munson
05-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Hey now, let's not rush to the tools right away. Do you have a stocked bar fridge down there yet?

dirtdigger88
05-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I don't drink, but I do have a fridge full of soda, beer, wine etc for guests. It has milk OJ and my H2O bottles for me. Roy, sit down have a beer and tell me what tools I need.

Jason

Too Tall
05-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Buy what you need as just before you need it? Mail order is just a few days away. You are right, why waste $$'s.

Don't ask me. Never seen a bicycle tool I didn't want to own.

Basic Basic (gots to haves = a Chef's Mes in place)
1. Set of Whia or Bondhas Allen wrenches
2. A very very good set of screw drivers. Again http://www.wihatools.com/
3. Park Cable Cutters
4. Var Pedal wrench
5. Park chain tool (will work on new campag too)
6. Red Spokey Wrench
7. Bottle of 222 loctite
8. Can of trak auto white lithium grease
9. Some cheap model paint brushes
10. Big box of cotton painters rags from Home Depot.
11. Box of painters straight razors
12. 3M Heavy duty vinyl tape
13. Emery cloth
14. Talc (ask your druggist to order)
15. Bench Vise (buy the best you can afford).
16. Two Face plastic mallet.
17. Cheesey Poster of fav. rider.

That gets you in the door. After that you are on you own.

dirtdigger88
05-19-2004, 01:22 PM

I know what you mean TT. I have a Snap On truck that comes to my office every week. I have to climb in just to look around. Tools are cool

Jason

Kevan
05-19-2004, 01:22 PM
over-stuffed sofa, with nasty stains, and a complete library of cycle racing videos and DVD's.

Park Bike stand PRS-3, it's the real thing!

Len J
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Buy what you need as just before you need it? Mail order is just a few days away. You are right, why waste $$'s.

Basic Basic (gots to haves = a Chef's Mes in place)
1. Set of Whia or Bondhas Allen wrenches
2. A very very good set of screw drivers. Again http://www.wihatools.com/
3. Park Cable Cutters
4. Var Pedal wrench
5. Park chain tool (will work on new campag too)
6. Red Spokey Wrench
7. Bottle of 222 loctite
8. Can of trak auto white lithium grease
9. Some cheap model paint brushes
10. Big box of cotton painters rags from Home Depot.
11. Box of painters straight razors
12. 3M Heavy duty vinyl tape
13. Emery cloth
14. Talc (ask your druggist to order)
15. Bench Vise (buy the best you can afford).
16. Two Face plastic mallet.
17. Cheesey Poster of fav. rider.

That gets you in the door. After that you are on you own.

18. Level
19. Wheel truing stand
20. Metric Tape Measure
21. Electric Pump with pressure guage
22. Wheel tensionometer
23. BB Tool for your group
24. Crank puller for your group
25. Dremel

Len

shaq-d
05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
26. headset wrenches
27. WD-40, and your choice of lube
28. hydrogen peroxide, for the wounds
29. 12-yr aged whiskey, for before and after #28.

sd

csb
05-19-2004, 03:44 PM
too talls' #10 should read:

'box of (cotton) panties from x-girlfriend'

dirtdigger88
05-19-2004, 04:18 PM
I should have know the people here would turn this into a bigger mess than I needed :p By time I buy all of this crap, I could have paid the LBS for a lifetime of tune ups. Maybe I will just put a comfy couch and a table for a water bong and not worry about it :cool:

Jason

vaxn8r
05-19-2004, 04:29 PM
I used to do 99% of my own wrenching. It is fun and it was cheaper. Now over the eyars, I have more money, more bikes but less time. I have a great lbs. It's way easier to leave one and it gives me good reasons to ride my other bikes. Also I'm always amazed when they work on my bike for a couple of hours and then they worry because labor was $20 or something. Believe me, well worth it.

I do understand those with the time and patience to keep doing it. My view is if I have bike time I'd rather be riding it.

Dekonick
05-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Change the bike stand from prs3 to prs5 (think thats the one)

Its easy to take with you. I bring mine to work and after dinner clean my bike. When time allows that is.

I sure wish I knew how to true! Thats next on da list...

Len J
05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I should have know the people here would turn this into a bigger mess than I needed :p By time I buy all of this crap, I could have paid the LBS for a lifetime of tune ups. Maybe I will just put a comfy couch and a table for a water bong and not worry about it :cool:

Jason

But rather a little at a time.

I try to buy a tool every time I want to do/learn a new task. I wanted to learn how to build wheels. So I bought the parts from my LBS and paid him for his time to teach me. I also bought a Park Truing stand on e-bay and a spoke wrench. I ended up building a set of OP's on D/A hubs w brass nipples and the total cost to me was slightly under $400.00. Now some would say that I could have bought the wheels for $300.00 and they would be right, however then it cost me $100.00 to learn how to build wheels AND get a $150.00 (new) truing stand........I was happy with the deal and have built several sets of wheels (which I enjoy) and trued many.

I do the same thing each time I want to learn some maintenance task, if It's significant, I pay my LBS to teach me, if not, I buy the tool and use Zinn book or Parktools.com to leaarn.

I have about 23 or so of the items on that list so far, but I've done it over several years.

Len

shaq-d
05-19-2004, 06:53 PM
that you know all about your bike, you know what's wrong, and you know that if something's wrong you can fix it. when/if, for example, i go riding and i hear creaks, i come home and do all the things i can/need to to fix it up the same night. the next day, i'm out. no depending on LBS'. no dealing with bad mechanics. no worries. and it's a plus to know that the reason your bike is humming is cause you made it so. it also, at least for me, makes me more secure bout the bike: the more i know the better. and there's always sources to help fix things you've never seen, like here, park's website, etc.

but yes, it's a one-step-at-a-time thing. the tools accumulate as you run into problems and want to fix them.

sd

Dekonick
05-19-2004, 07:04 PM
Is it really that easy to do? I am always afraid to mess with BB and wheels. Minor things like cleaning, changing tires, adjusting cable tension, re-aligning brakes dont bother me - but I worry about messn with wheels. If its not that hard to build wheels, I think I might take a stab at it. If you dont mind me asking - how much did you pay the LBS mechanic to teach ya?
and besides a work stand what tools do you need to build em?

PBWrench
05-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Add:

- Park or Ultimate handlebar holder
- Q tips
- Lemon pledge/Bike Lust

rePhil
05-19-2004, 07:14 PM
You know some nice bright light, peg board, a bench. It may be a little dorky, but I want it to look line a nice bike shop work area. I want to get a good stand and start buying tools. My question is which tools. I have already made up my mind that I want Parks Tools, but I mean which tool specificly? I have looked at some of the "kits" but it seems like you are paying for quite a bit of tools that you (I) don't need. Which tools are a must have off the bat and which ones would be nice to have down the line?

Having worked as a marine engine manufacturer factory tech and before that an ASE automotive tech I can tell you that while you that most mechanics use tools from a variety of sources. I use a combination of Mac, Snap On Craftsman, etc. I have the same thing in my bike tool box. Which brings me to the question of why people like peg board so much? Give me a nice organized tool box anyday.
I would suggest a Craftsman 3/8 drive metric Allen socket set. Last time I was at Sears they had a nice 3/8 low torque "click style" torque wrench for a reasonable price. You can also find nice sets of "T" Allen wrench sets other than Park. While Park makes nice tools they are not the only source.Think about what tools you would need to do whatever you want to service on your bike and build on from there. Cassette tools, BB tool, Third hand tool, etc.
And I would add a small bench size parts washer.

Have fun!

dirtdigger88
05-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Pic,

I know what you mean on using other tools from other manufacutres. I already have the basic covered in my tool kit that I have been building for 15 year of working in the landscape industry (Hence "dirtdigger"). I was really more interested in the bike specific tools but this has gotten to be fun to see what all people have included. I have a home repair/rehabb tool colection that make most friends cream their pants. I got them after two house rehabs in five years. I didn't have much when I started, maybe a power screwdriver and a hammer. Now, lets just say I could have gotten a couple of Ottrots by now. I could do rehabb #3 top to bottom with no tool purchase. The pegboard? I want it to match my tool workshop on the other side of the basement. I have everything electrical, plumbing, mason, etc. up on peg board so I have it in easy reach. I then have a five gallon bucket with pouches that I fill with the needed tools for what I am working on at the time. When I finish back up it goes. I am anal that way I guess

Jason :)

Birddog
05-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Have you drawn those nice looking "police" outlines around your tools on the pegboard?

Birddog

Russ
05-19-2004, 11:39 PM
....I have a Snap On truck that comes to my office every week. I have to climb in just to look around. Tools are cool...

Jason,

Of course tools are cool! I own some of the very finest... Hey I when you see your Snap-On truck ask him how much he sells the 1/4 and the 3/8 (Newton meter) torque wrenches... I have these and I will sell them to you about $50 cheaper!

Send a PM...

Len J
05-20-2004, 07:06 AM
If you dont mind me asking - how much did you pay the LBS mechanic to teach ya?
and besides a work stand what tools do you need to build em?

He charged me $300.00 for the parts and his time. We spent a few hours together. If I bought the parts from Col Cyclist, I think they would have been close to $300.00 with shipping. So he basically tought me out of his profit margin. That being said, I do a lot of business with him. He takes good care of my wife (who rides). I have also sent him business.

In terms of tools.

Truing stand. (You actually can use your front fork and brakes but it's not as easy)
Spoke wrench.
Time.
Assembly book (Brandt, etc. This helps for reference)

Additional tools that help

Nipple driver.

That's it.

Len

Spectrum Bob
05-20-2004, 08:11 AM
Some times I think we feel we have to start big. I find this has kept me from starting things. Over time I have learned to start with what I have and build from there. I do the majority of my own wrenching and have accumulated what I need in top quality tools over the years. My wife, the kind woman she is actually lets me have a tool budget. All of my bike specific tools I bought when needed for a specific repair. I find it to be rather painless this way. There are few things I will not try. I have gotten in the habit of as I disassemble something to clean each part and put them down in order of taking off on a shop rag. This really helps when it’s time to put things back together. One other thing that has worked for me is not to start a job that I know I can’t finish that day. I find I have a better chance of loosing parts or forgetting how something goes back together if I try to finish a repair days later.

Spectrum Bob

Jeff N.
05-20-2004, 08:24 AM
I have the untimate work area, with a commercial grade Beverage Aire keg dispenser with Heineken in it right now, plus a vintage stereo system with DVD and flat screan TV.
Tools? Work stand for starters. Metric Allens are a must. Headset press, and remover, and fork race setter. Wire cutters, :beer: :beer: hain whip, cassette and BB removal sockets, Chain tool, Phillips and standard screw drivers, spoke wrenches, Crank puller(s), and a decent torque wrench. Star nut setter. Chain ring wrench. Pedal wrench. I might've left a few things out. Have fun! Jeff N.

bpm
05-20-2004, 09:06 AM
If you are just looking to get started in doing your own bike maintenance, and if you are budget conscious I think a lot of the tools suggested in this thread are quite a bit more than you'll need. A headset press is over $100 and headsets cups aren't something you really need to remove from the frame very often. When and if you do, a shop should be able to press them back in for almost nothing. Alternatively, you can actually make your own headset press with a long bolt and some washers and I can attest that it works quite well.

If you plan on building and/or truing your own wheels, a truing stand is a must have. Trying to true wheels on the bike is a hassle. The appropriate spoke wrench is also needed and a nipple driver will make life easier.

You'll also need the appropriate bottom bracket and cassette tools for whatever components you have.

Other than that, you can do most bike maintenance with a set of metric allen wrenches, a chain tool, a chain whip, a good pair of cable cutters, and some cone wrenches (depending on the hubs you have). I also suggest you get a repair stand but when I was a starving college student I did all my work without one and it is possible (just not as easy or fun). Throw in a measuring tape measure (flexible cloth or plastic, not the metal construction type tape measure), whatever lube, grease and or degreaser you choose, and some old rags and you're good to go.

csb
05-20-2004, 07:52 PM
chiltons manual for the dodge dart

Too Tall
05-21-2004, 06:32 AM
hahahaha. thought you'd get a kick out of this.

Along the lines of setting up shop. I've nominated my garage/gym/bike repair shop for a Public TV "Dream Garage" makeover! I submitted an essay and digital photos. Wouldn't it be a trip if we win? With the antique cars, 20 bikes, a repair shop and a gym all rolled into one you can imagine the challenge.

Below are two really unflattering shots of the shop after several weeks of wrenching and NOT putting my tools away...bad boy.

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/GarageMakeOver/GarageMakeover-Simonds%20004.jpg

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/GarageMakeOver/GarageMakeover-Simonds%20012.jpg

Kevan
05-21-2004, 06:58 AM
when some of you boys would come over and play in Calfeeland we had this fun exchange on the subject of the perfect workshop:

http://www.hydromedia.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=4349&t=4269#reply_4349

PBWrench
05-21-2004, 08:57 AM
TT -- like those Nimble Flys!

Ken Robb
05-21-2004, 03:05 PM
add: set of metric open end/box wrenches, needle-nose, diagonal cutting, regular slip-joint pliers. VAR tire lever/remover tool. A 1/4'drive set of sockets is nice too. About $20 from Sears with several deep ones and 1 extension too. Oh, I'm happy with my Ultimate repair stand. I got their top-of-line because it was on sale for less than their lower priced unit. They both telescope and pivot in two axes which the less expensive Park stands do not. It folds into a very compact bundle which I hide in a corner between uses. Whichever you buy be sure to get one that telescopes and pivots to ensure that you can always have the bike in a comfortable position for you while you work.

Jeff N.
05-21-2004, 07:30 PM
hahahaha. thought you'd get a kick out of this.

Along the lines of setting up shop. I've nominated my garage/gym/bike repair shop for a Public TV "Dream Garage" makeover! I submitted an essay and digital photos. Wouldn't it be a trip if we win? With the antique cars, 20 bikes, a repair shop and a gym all rolled into one you can imagine the challenge.

Below are two really unflattering shots of the shop after several weeks of wrenching and NOT putting my tools away...bad boy.

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/GarageMakeOver/GarageMakeover-Simonds%20004.jpg

http://www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/GarageMakeOver/GarageMakeover-Simonds%20012.jpgLookin' good! Jeff N.