PDA

View Full Version : Vittoria Pave 27c tubs

merckx
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Anyone know of a source for Vittoria Pave Evo 27c tubs? All Weathers in the same width would be swell too. Are these just available for the pro Roubaix teams? Maybe they are Dugast made tires re-badged as Vittorias for the Vittoria sponsored pro teams? Anyway, would like a source if available.

Grant McLean
02-05-2007, 09:21 PM
That's a tough one.

worldclasscycles.com has veloflex roubaix in 24mm
and the Dugast in 27mm

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular-price2.htm

g

DarrenCT
02-05-2007, 09:25 PM
That's a tough one.

worldclasscycles.com has veloflex roubaix in 24mm
and the Dugast in 27mm

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/tubular-price2.htm

g

Hey Grant McLean

You've never replied to my post about cycling in Toronto. Are there any hills around Toronto? You ever been to Sault Ste Marie?

Grant McLean
02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey Grant McLean

You've never replied to my post about cycling in Toronto. Are there any hills around Toronto? You ever been to Sault Ste Marie?

sorry man, didn't see it.
Hills? not here!

Nope, never been to the Sue.
Should I?

g

djg
02-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Try Mike Perry at maestro-uk--I think he had some posted on his site.

02-05-2007, 10:31 PM
It's a new tire this year. It simply isn't out of production yet. Some sites have them listed but won't have inventory. Other than a couple dozen that were circulating with reps and that a couple major stores got to try, there aren't any yet. It's not really targeted as a Paris Roubaix tire for the ProTour crowd because it's really so big and squishy -- you have less control and are carrying along more weight. Vittoria realized that a lot of consumers want a bigger tire and decided to do it with this one (since their other tubulars aren't all that durable in a larger diameter). Personally, I think a larger tire is rarely needed if you've chosen a reasonable wheel and modified your tire pressure appropriately. I lived and raced in Belgium for several years and go back to Europe frequently, and can't think of a club racer or better who rides bigger than a 24 mm tire.

Do note that the 24mm Evo Pave CG's are already a pretty tight fit in most carbon forks, so the 27's are probably not going to fit. I saw one pair on a demo wheelset (Zipp Pave's) and they didn't fit any of the road bikes we tried to mount them on.

chrisroph
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm in the process of mounting some tubular evo cors cx's and am impressed by how nice and round they are and by the nice sound they make when you flick your nail on them while they are inflated to 120. They do not have as much volume as the old italian cx's or cg's but I am really looking forward to riding them.

djg
02-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Do note that the 24mm Evo Pave CG's are already a pretty tight fit in most carbon forks, so the 27's are probably not going to fit. I saw one pair on a demo wheelset (Zipp Pave's) and they didn't fit any of the road bikes we tried to mount them on.

Although I saw that Mike had listed the new 27s, I haven't tried them or even seen them, but the 24 mm evo pave will fit comfortably under a reynolds ouzo pro fork. I've been getting some good miles off of a set.

merckx
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM
IIRC, Vittoria made a tub called "Utmost" about a dozen years ago or so. It was huge! I can't remember how big exactly. Does anyone remember that one? I assume it was bigger than 27c. I'm looking into tire options for D2R2 next year and this Vit came up on the radar. Tubs probably are not practicle for some of the trails on the route. Anyway, the thought of big tires on a cold winter day makes me happy.

Too Tall
02-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Merckx - I was running TUFO D28 tubulars with sealant carrying a spare was prolly overkill :) The course is rough for certain however I truly believe it is also the perfect venu for a fast cross tyre and NOT road tyres. There were some riders using 25's and they were slipping alot...you could see their skip marks on climbs and this was a pretty dry ride..it coulda been alot worse.

Rover-Rich
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Anyone try these:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=TUR25&tnum=5577234&c=7431988

They seem to have more tread to them and they are 25's.

RR

Too Tall
02-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Huh (???) Those are new to me...never seen them. Has a diff. pattern than Elite Road too. Beats me. I am not a fan of TUFO for the road, they ride kinda harsh.

Rover-Rich
02-06-2007, 01:58 PM
TT spoke to a guy at the World Class Cycles, Conti 27's will not be in until April or May. He said the Tufo should ride like the Elite roads, his preference however would be the Veloflex Roubaix's. Ever use these?

Too Tall
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Not the Roubaix's however fly with confidence. I race their crits and others here will chime in regards the Roubaix as a great tyre.

djg
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Not the Roubaix's however fly with confidence. I race their crits and others here will chime in regards the Roubaix as a great tyre.

Yep, I think that the Veloflex Roubaix tires are great--really nicely made size 24 tires for rough roads.

Z3c
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Ironically, today I was logged in to QBP; they show that they have one of the Vittoria P-R green tires in stock. Your shop should be able to order it for you.. Not sure if this helps much since it is only one but you might find a few that way..

Scott

sspielman
02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
The Veloflex Roubaix is a great tire...as is anything from Veloflex. Personally, I don't find myself with much of a need for a 24mm tire and make do with the Criterium @22mm...The one drawback is that it has black sidewalls..I don't want to miss the opportunity to once again declare Veloflex as the king of tires...

Too Tall
02-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm "in" for the Veloflex...they have been good to me and ride is soooo nice. I've been commuting on Conti Competition 25's however they are hard to find for less than the price of a modest island ;)

02-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I got a chance to try a pair of the new Tufo 25 Elite's mentioned above. They are a huge improvement over the Elite Road 23's. Instead of the very stiff, unyielding tread on the 23's (which did away with any benefit from the higher quality casing) the 25's have a much more supple and somewhat thinner rubber. It wraps well around the casing and provides quite good traction (better than Conti, not quite as good as Veloflex). It's much more cut resistant, in my experience so far, than Veloflex Roubaix's. The ride isn't quite as nice at the fine edge, but good ride unfortunately doesn't count for as much if you're standing at the side of the road stripping off a flat tire. On ideal roads I'd still go with a Veloflex, but these new Tufos are a big step forward in their line.