PDA

View Full Version : 4-bike hitch racks: Kuat vs Thule vs Yakima

weaponsgrade
09-09-2020, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 2-bike hitch rack that has the capacity to expand to 4 bikes. Does anyone have any experience with the Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT Pro, and Yakima Holdup? I really like all the metal used in the Kuat, but it's also the most expensive.

JAGI410
09-09-2020, 01:49 PM
The 1Up Rack needs to be on the comparison list. Not cheap, but MUSA, and super easy to operate.

Idris Icabod
09-09-2020, 01:54 PM
I have a 1UP and it is really nice. I can't offer advice on the Yakima or Thule but my buddy has the Kuat and man, it is uber nice. In fact, I'd probably get it over the 1UP if I was buying today. The Kuat has magnetic cable locks built in for each bike and an integrated work stand. It weighs a lot according to my buddy, but I'd imagine they all do. My experience with Thule is they use way too much plastic and here in AZ it has a tendency to crack quickly, not sure if they upped their game.

Black Dog
09-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Add Hollywood Racks to your list. American Company and racks made in Taiwan. Great quality and good price. have many many miles on my 4 bike hitch rack from them.

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 02:06 PM
i just bought the Kuat and it's a steller rack with great customer support.

it's the only one that come with the brilliant built in repair stand, which i think is super handy when on the road.

most racks are sold out right now too by the way, so it may not be easy to track one down if you need it now.

commonguy001
09-09-2020, 02:14 PM
Kuat NV 2.0 - had one for a few years and did break a tray on a really dodgy road up in the UP of MI when I hit a hole at maybe 30 mph. Kuat asked for a photo and send me a replacement part next day no questions asked. Great service.

If you are someone who uses their rack with heavier MTBs on jeep trails, I'd probably look at a tray system that doesn't bolt to a central spine like the Kuat and probably go with a rack that hangs bikes like a Lolo Rack.

sparky33
09-09-2020, 02:16 PM
The 1Up Rack needs to be on the comparison list. Not cheap, but MUSA, and super easy to operate.

Second.

1UP makes a sturdy no-nonsense rack. You can expand from 2-4 trays. Compatible with a variety of tire diameters and widths. Has some nice accessories too.

bikerboy337
09-09-2020, 02:23 PM
I love my Kuat and customer support is great. (have a post coming about this, along with Castelli).

Only issue i have, with the 4 bike rack installed, my wife has a very difficult time putting the rack up and down, so if we leave it on (her car has the 2" hitch") its a pain in the butt for her, so we usually take it off when not in use.

Its heavy, so from a transport standpoint its amazing, works great, keeps things nice and tight, no bike issues and customer support is great. They sent me a few kids bike adapters for free after we purchased the rack and it works from everything from 20" to my MTB with no issues... packed my Salsa Warbird TI, Wifes old school aluminum stumpjumper HT, sons Yeti FS and daughters Spec. Hot Rock recently for a trip and did outstanding... thats a lot of weight on the back...

dbnm
09-09-2020, 02:28 PM
I have the Thule T2 XT Pro and have used it for several 500+ mile road trips with no issues whatsoever. Easy to use. Solid.

A friend told me the current delivery time for the 1UP is several months.

bigbill
09-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Another NV 2.0 person here. Very solid, feels like it's part of the vehicle. It is heavy and requires some effort to install, but all the features are great. It folds flat but also folds downward 45 degrees so you can open a hatchback on a wagon or SUV without removing bikes. The built in locks and work stand are a bonus. Great customer service too.

p nut
09-09-2020, 02:34 PM
I have a Kuat NV and a friend has the Thule T2. Kuat performs great. Built in stand is nice, as well as the integrated cable lock. Also, the “anti-rock/sway” cinch bolt for the hitch receiver works great. Take those three things into account when comparing prices.
The cable lock broke and they sent out the replacement right away. Great service.

Thule is nice but it is much heavier.

Ralph
09-09-2020, 02:36 PM
Since they all seem to work well and have their followers.....to me the deciding factor when I bought my 3 bike set up was weight, ease of folding, and how much space they took up in my garage when not in use. That's why I choose the 1UP. The 2 bike part weighs 48 lbs, and the addition much less. Both fold neatly in the garage corner when not in use....in the heavy duty boxes they came in. And the KUAT is a very nice rack.

djg21
09-09-2020, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 2-bike hitch rack that has the capacity to expand to 4 bikes. Does anyone have any experience with the Kuat NV 2.0, Thule T2 XT Pro, and Yakima Holdup? I really like all the metal used in the Kuat, but it's also the most expensive.

I love my Kuat NV 2.0.

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 03:06 PM
I love my Kuat NV 2.0.

using yours and the repair stand is what convinced me to go buy one!

jimcav
09-09-2020, 03:18 PM
I looked at the kuat at REI, but it was much heavier. I can easily move the 4 bike 1up from my truck to our SUV for trips. The 4-bike Kuat I'd likely hurt myself. It did seem solid though.

weaponsgrade
09-09-2020, 03:23 PM
A friend has the Kuat and it's solid. Right now I've got a two tray Thule roof rack. Next summer I'd like to be able to carry two more bikes and it seems the hitch rack is the way to go for ease of loading/unloading. I forgot about 1Up. They're nice, but also pricey. Another friend has the Holdup and thinks that offers the best value.

djg21
09-09-2020, 03:26 PM
I looked at the kuat at REI, but it was much heavier. I can easily move the 4 bike 1up from my truck to our SUV for trips. The 4-bike Kuat I'd likely hurt myself. It did seem solid though.

Kuat just started selling a one-bike add-on, so you can use it to transport a total of 3 bikes. I wish this was an option earlier. For me, 3-bikes is the magic number, and rarely do I need to transport 4 bikes at once.

a4racer
09-09-2020, 03:33 PM
Heavy, but solid and so easy to use.

We have the double tray, and two extra single trays for versatility!

Big ups for 1up...only downside is weight, price, and having to explain it to those enamored with the simplicity of the rack at trailheads / parking lots!

Ozz
09-09-2020, 03:45 PM
I've have a Thule T2 (classic) for 10+ years....heavy, but is solid and works great. I had a 2 bike extension, but never used it...sold it to a forum member hear a couple years ago.

All the racks you mention are solid and well made...you probably won't go wrong with any of them. Get the one that has the features you want, best price, and looks coolest on your vehicle. ;)

I was checking out a new Thule hitch I saw that looks like it is trying to mimic the 1Up. Check out the Thule Helium rack....it looks pretty nice, but I think it has only a 2 bike option.

pdmtong
09-09-2020, 05:53 PM
I also have a 2" Thule T2 from 10+ years ago acquired just after they bought Sportworks and made some modest changes, like adding a lock to the arms.

Back then, Yakima was not a consideration. As a person who once owned the gold bar roof rack, I was very disappointed to not be able to support them.

The T2 is a solid unit. It is heavy, but I roll it from the driveway to the garage wall on a furniture dolly. The weight isnt unmanageable, but I dont need to swing it into my washing machine when I am tired from a long day.

That said, IMHO the Kuat NV2.0 is the rack to buy.

The 1up I will consider for single bike carrying. Love the light weight but it is not without issues
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/any-reason-not-get-1up-trailer-hitch-bike-rack-55043.html.
Other than the weight, what is the advantage?

None (IMHO) when compared to the CS of Kuat and the little features they built in.

So 20 years ago I bought a suburban and 15 years ago I bought a Thule. If I have a do over its a Sprinter and a Kuat NV 2.0

charliedid
09-09-2020, 06:02 PM
I also have a 2" Thule T2 from 10+ years ago acquired just after they bought Sportworks and made some modest changes, like adding a lock to the arms.

Back then, Yakima was not a consideration. As a person who once owned the gold bar roof rack, I was very disappointed to not be able to support them.

The T2 is a solid unit. It is heavy, but I roll it from the driveway to the garage wall on a furniture dolly. The weight isnt unmanageable, but I dont need to swing it into my washing machine when I am tired from a long day.

That said, IMHO the Kuat NV2.0 is the rack to buy.

The 1up I will consider for single bike carrying. Love the light weight but it is not without issues
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/any-reason-not-get-1up-trailer-hitch-bike-rack-55043.html.
Other than the weight, what is the advantage?

None (IMHO) when compared to the CS of Kuat and the little features they built in.

So 20 years ago I bought a suburban and 15 years ago I bought a Thule. If I have a do over its a Sprinter and a Kuat NV 2.0

I'm with you on this though I have no hate for Yakima.

I think people (read enthusiasts) like 1UP because it has a very minimal and industrial design to it that mates well with cool custom bikes. And their neighbor doesn't have one.

They all work fine IMO but things start to stand out if you use them more frequently than a lot of folks do. Weight is certainly a consideration for some and not so much for others.

They all hold 20lb bikes without much problem and often the problems with racks are user error not poor design.

People buy cool cars and cool bikes and want a cool rack to put cool bikes on the cool car.

Cool.

Pinned
09-09-2020, 07:42 PM
I'd look at either RockyMounts or 1UP.

There is a RockyMounts rack that has a 180* swing away function that's really cool. They also have an internal mechanism to prevent wobble.

KonaSS
09-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I have the Yakima holdup, with extension for 4 bikes. Had it for 4 years or so. Works great. Hold 4 bikes!

Bought it cause it was the cheapest and thought it would be reliable enough. It is.

Not flashy, maybe not the "best" but definitely has provided value for me.

Ralph
09-09-2020, 07:51 PM
Am I the only one on here who likes to put his rack away in garage corner when not in use? Not take up much space? That's a big deal to me....and I have a well organized 3 car garage. Racks that fold up to small packages go to the top of my list.

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 07:54 PM
kuat looooooove.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--U5La_UeR1A/X1l4xpjTy_I/AAAAAAAAERA/pOHa3d5dgWQhIp8wLYvhbcSlO2py3jkTgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1200/IMG_6315.jpg

charliedid
09-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Am I the only one on here who likes to put his rack away in garage corner when not in use? Not take up much space? That's a big deal to me....and I have a well organized 3 car garage. Racks that fold up to small packages go to the top of my list.

I don't have a garage.

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 07:56 PM

not me. during riding season here, i'm on the road with my bike at least once a week, so the rack just lives on my jeep unless i need to tow something and would need the hitch free, or we're going away as a family and i put the rack on our honda odyssey.

i take it off for the winter though, i wouldnt want to subject it to road salt, but we know you dont have that concern Ralph!

AngryScientist
09-09-2020, 07:59 PM
One thing i do find a little funny/impractical is that all of these racks are made to look rather "stealth" with dark colors or even matte black - i'd rather the rack stick out visually - less chance of getting rear ended that way. i already added a band of reflective tape to mine for better night stick outability.

Gummee
09-09-2020, 08:07 PM
One thing i do find a little funny/impractical is that all of these racks are made to look rather "stealth" with dark colors or even matte black - i'd rather the rack stick out visually - less chance of getting rear ended that way. i already added a band of reflective tape to mine for better night stick outability.I have a Sherpa 2.0. LOTS lighter than the Thule T2 that preceded it.

I stuck some red/silver 'trailer tape' on mine so when it's folded up I've got this huge reflective stripe across the rear of my vehicle.

Mine lives on the car/truck, so no worries about storage

M

dbnm
09-09-2020, 08:09 PM
I have reflective duct tape all over mine.

p nut
09-09-2020, 08:15 PM
Someone rear end me so I can get a new bike and an NV2.0

happycampyer
09-09-2020, 08:15 PM
One thing i do find a little funny/impractical is that all of these racks are made to look rather "stealth" with dark colors or even matte black - i'd rather the rack stick out visually - less chance of getting rear ended that way. i already added a band of reflective tape to mine for better night stick outability.
The 1Up was originally only available in silver (and still is)—black was added as an option, and at an upcharge. As you know from the thread about clothing, all you need is a blinky light—dark colors don’t matter... :rolleyes:

pdmtong
09-09-2020, 08:48 PM

I doubt the person who is about to rear end you is going to manage to stop prior to the additional 12" the rack sticks out. if that was the case, whouldnt we all drive the shortest length vehicle possible?

IN fact, be glad the rack is there. I know people who have been rear ended with a rack on the back - the rack bent, but the offending driver's front end is demolished.

pdmtong
09-09-2020, 08:50 PM

I put my Thule T2 against the back wall standing on the non-insertion end. I don't use it enough to leave it on the vehicle.

Yossarian
09-09-2020, 08:51 PM
I've used the Kuat, solid rack. The Kuat NV comes in a 2 bike hitch carrier with the option of a 2 bike add-on. If you need a 4 bike carrier, the Kuat combo will push close to $1k.

I need a 4 bike carrier, but not all the time. The only 2 on the market that are modular, allowing relatively quick configuration changes are the 1up and the newer Quik Rack Mach 2.

Ordered the 1up yesterday in silver, 2 bike hitch carrier with 2 add-ons. Total $1007 before tax.

kppolich
09-09-2020, 09:38 PM
I've used the Kuat, solid rack. The Kuat NV comes in a 2 bike hitch carrier with the option of a 2 bike add-on. If you need a 4 bike carrier, the Kuat combo will push close to $1k.

I need a 4 bike carrier, but not all the time. The only 2 on the market that are modular, allowing relatively quick configuration changes are the 1up and the newer Quik Rack Mach 2.

Ordered the 1up yesterday in silver, 2 bike hitch carrier with 2 add-ons. Total $1007 before tax.

Last rack you'll ever buy.

Keith A
09-09-2020, 09:38 PM
As always, you guys are a great source of info. That’s a great idea about adding reflective tape.

Ozz
09-09-2020, 11:37 PM
As always, you guys are a great source of info. That’s a great idea about adding reflective tape.
I've been thinking of how to wire some trailer lights to my rack haven't figured it out yet....keep hoping for an actual engineer to figure it out.;)

p nut
09-10-2020, 07:43 AM
I've been thinking of how to wire some trailer lights to my rack haven't figured it out yet....keep hoping for an actual engineer to figure it out.;)

Should be pretty easy using a 4-pin brake light kit. Gets you turn signals as well.

djg21
09-10-2020, 08:31 AM

I have reflective strips I purchased at Autozone on the bottom of the trays so it faces back when the rack is folded up, and on the sides of the rear tray and work stand so it reflects when the rack is in use.