PDA

View Full Version : Wearables (HR/GPS/bike comp sync)

rain dogs
09-09-2020, 11:39 AM
I don't know if I'm living in the future or way in the past, but my basic Ant+ HR strap is on its last legs and looking to replace it.

However, instead of buying a HR strap 1.0, I'm thinking there has to be a device that can do the following:

1. Be a standalone wearable device/watch that tracks routes via GPS, HR, sleep (although not really needed) time, distance etc. So, if I go for a run, I just need this one device and it tracks everything.

2. Has a long battery life when the in-device GPS is turned off (24 hours, 48 hours, 7 days, 20 days whatever. Minimum 20hrs)

3. Can broadcast optical HR directly to a cycling computer head unit - like a Garmin/Wahoo/Bryton. via Ant+ or bluetooth, whatever. I'm only needing HR broadcast when cycling as the bike GPS does everything else.

Item #3 seems to be the hitch. Either this is so ubiquitous that no one talks about it anymore, or its from the future and no one has it, cause its hard to get a straight answer.

I simply want a device that can act like a simple HR strap (optical wrist/arm strap) when I'm cycling and let my cycling computer do all the heavy lifting. BUT, when I'm not cycling, the device can become my GPS device and HR and track everything.

Makes sense? Is COROS the only device that can do this? Even then I'm not 100% sure? Surely people here are doing this if its possible.

Fitbit?
Timex r300?
Garmin?
Wahoo?
Whoop?
Amazfit?
other?

Dired
09-09-2020, 11:52 AM
I think that fenix 6 can do all of the above. Super happy with mine overall, my wahoo is collecting dust.

scoobydrew
09-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Garmin Fenix & Forerunner series can do this via ANT+. You can pair to a Garmin or Wahoo computer.

My Fenix 5 lasts ~2-2.5 weeks without using any GPS activities.

cp43
09-09-2020, 11:59 AM
I have the most baisc Garmin Forerunner, it does everything you mention.

However, the heart rate reading is unreliable when cycling. It's fine for general use, and running, but something about my position on the bike, or the position of the watch while I'm riding causes it to say that my pulse was 76bpm for the entire ride. I also get the same behavior on the rowing machine. It's the same if I record the ride with the watch, or pair it to my Garmin bike computer. The pairing is reliable though. Mine is a year or two old now, so maybe things are better now. If I want heart rate for riding or rowing, I use a chest strap.

According to a friend of mine who is more interested in these than I am, it's a known issue, due to the lack of movement of your wrist while riding.

Chris