PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about handlebar tape

ox_rider
09-09-2020, 10:32 AM
I want new tape on my Gunnar, still black, but curious as to which tape people like and why?

If this has been covered in multiple threads (or cork, no doubt), I apologize for starting a new discussion.

Dan

tctyres
09-09-2020, 10:49 AM
I've gone through a lot of different tapes. However, there's a lot out there, so I wouldn't call myself an expert.

For cork-styled tapes, the Cinelli gets my vote -- it seems to work well, doesn't rip, and is reasonably priced.
I also seem to use Deda tapes fairly frequently.
Fizik sometimes works out. I didn't like the Lizard Skins when I had it on. Pro tape is good.

OtayBW
09-09-2020, 11:37 AM
I've gone through a lot of different tapes. However, there's a lot out there, so I wouldn't call myself an expert.

For cork-styled tapes, the Cinelli gets my vote -- it seems to work well, doesn't rip, and is reasonably priced.
I also seem to use Deda tapes fairly frequently.
Fizik sometimes works out. I didn't like the Lizard Skins when I had it on. Pro tape is good.
I have not found one that I like better in all these years. The biggest complaint that I hear about it is that it sticks on removal. I run a thin underlayer of hockey tape, so it's no issue for me and just the right feel....

FlashUNC
09-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Fizik Microtex.

notsew
09-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Fizik Microtex.

Agree, it is the perfect tape

donevwil
09-09-2020, 11:46 AM
Fizik Microtex.

I haven't tried them all by a long shot, but of those I have it's always back to Microtex, #1 so far.

Mike Bryant
09-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Big fan of Cinelli Gel Cork. Stretchey and Easy to install. Comfortable. Doesn’t get slippery when wet with sweat. Gel backing keeps it in place, yet it comes right off and doesn’t leave glue residue on your bar. I’ve removed it, washed it, and reinstalled it before having to replace it. I’ve even repaired a small tears with super glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHampsten
09-09-2020, 11:52 AM
My favorites are Deda and Fizik Bondcush 3mm Classic.

I like the Deda because it is very comfortable on long rides and it is easy to wrap the handlebars.

I like the Fizik because it is very comfortable on long rides, is easy to hold onto when on gravel rides and is extremely durable. It is a bit more of a challenge to wrap the bars because it is so thick but, worth the effort I think.

BRad704
09-09-2020, 12:01 PM
Cinelli Cork if you like foam, cheap prices and change tape often. ($12-18)

Cinelli Volee or Bontrager Grippytack for really nice and grippy (when dry or wet), but more expensive ($30-45)

johnniecakes
09-09-2020, 12:09 PM
Bontrager grippy tack is the best I have tried

charliedid
09-09-2020, 12:12 PM
I love the Fizik Bondcush 3mm Classic.

maj
09-09-2020, 01:03 PM
Handlebra leather tape has really stood up well over several years and has a great feel. Leather and steel :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/8VGgw1a.jpg

paulh
09-09-2020, 01:27 PM
I have been looking for Fizik Superlight Glossy Bar Tape in white. I'm not sure if the whole glossy line has been discontinued, but that was my favorite.

stev0
09-09-2020, 01:33 PM
fan of the Fizik Vento Microtex tape and ZIPP Service Course black tape (the smooth, non-CX version).

pdonk
09-09-2020, 01:52 PM
I'll be the dissenting opinion. Don't like fizik tape. Mictotex snd others I've tried has been too slippery when damp.

Now for my suggestions. For affordable cork inspired I like salsa tape. Lots of colors, lasts well, cheap enough to not worry about rewrapping.

For spendy. I like fabric silicone. Not slippery when wet. Cleans up easily. Wraps well. Reusable.

Bob Ross
09-09-2020, 01:53 PM
I'm generally pretty indifferent to bar tape, and I can't swear I've even noticed what tape is in use on most of my bikes over the years...but two fairly recent experiences stand out:

- the Arundel tape that's currently on two of my bikes feels perfectly fine, but it is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It is literally disintegrating after maybe 2,000 miles' use. Don't think I'll use that again.

- the Handlebra leather bar tape that came on my Sachs was sublime. Before I used it I thought all the adulation it was getting here and ATH reeked of fanboy-ism. But having used it and then switched that bike over to an inferior wrap (see above re: Arundel) I'm convinced Handlebra is worth the money. I will use that again.

[edit: ...when I win the lottery. Holy F**k, $100 for a roll of bar tape?!?!?]

blindwilly
09-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Cinelli Gel Cork works for me. Grip and cushioning are fine and install is pretty easy. I tried some fizik stuff awhile ago. It had a suede like texture that felt good at first but started to rub off onto my hands.

ox_rider
09-09-2020, 02:16 PM
I'm generally pretty indifferent to bar tape, and I can't swear I've even noticed what tape is in use on most of my bikes over the years...but two fairly recent experiences stand out:

- the Arundel tape that's currently on two of my bikes feels perfectly fine, but it is deteriorating at an alarming rate. It is literally disintegrating after maybe 2,000 miles' use. Don't think I'll use that again.

- the Handlebra leather bar tape that came on my Sachs was sublime. Before I used it I thought all the adulation it was getting here and ATH reeked of fanboy-ism. But having used it and then switched that bike over to an inferior wrap (see above re: Arundel) I'm convinced Handlebra is worth the money. I will use that again.

[edit: ...when I win the lottery. Holy F**k, $100 for a roll of bar tape?!?!?]

$100 for tape? You have to then make everything else scale to that. $400 tires, etc. Thank you

OtayBW
09-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Handlebra leather tape has really stood up well over several years and has a great feel. Leather and steel :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/8VGgw1a.jpg
Ding! Ding! Ding!

(the tape is nice, too....:rolleyes:)

ntb1001
09-09-2020, 03:17 PM
I used to use Fizik bar tape, but now I’ve switched to Supacaz bar tape.
The LBS suggested it a couple of years ago when I built up my Parlee, it’s been great. It was a bit pricey at the LBS though...around $80. (Canadian)
I think it probably cheaper online.

truth
09-09-2020, 03:27 PM
I'm really liking ESI RCT silicone tape. I also like Pro.

I also like whatever is cheapest and blackest.

GregL
09-09-2020, 03:48 PM
Deda. Inexpensive, durable, easy to install, and feels good to my paws.

Greg

zennmotion
09-09-2020, 03:56 PM
The current red sky Martian landscape outside my window makes me grumpy so I have lots of useless, strongly held opinions today. I'm not the only one here who thinks leather tape on anything that's not a wall art antique bike is silly :fight: For that matter, this thread is silly, but here I am anyway:help: For anybody who cares to know (i.e., nobody) since a couple of decades I've adopted Zevlin Big 40 as the best wrap ever made, being extra wide, just the right amount of cushy, grippy not sticky, the right price (inexpensive but not cheap), very easy to wrap (extra long so no problem with wide and deep bars). I panicked a few years ago when Zevlin went out of business and I bought a huge cache, but now Big 40 is being produced again by Red Monkey Sports and available online. Not well known or widely distributed, but great stuff. Think of it as vegan leather wrap :cool: Did I mention my aversion to leather wrap as silly, hard to wrap, slimy-when-wet veblen? I wish I could go out riding in the smoke, but you wouldn't want to ride with me, I'd half wheel you all day while whining about life.

Big 40 comes in all the right colors and a few of the wrong ones as well.
https://www.redmonkeysports.com/products/big40-road-gravel-bar-tape-single-color

djg21
09-09-2020, 05:30 PM

The stuff is well worth the high price. It lasts forever, and is super comfortable (I hate wearing gloves). You can clean it with Lexol, and even remove and reinstall it, as it doesn’t have adhesive. Put a layer of hockey stick tape under it and it doesn’t migrate at all.

wallymann
09-09-2020, 06:51 PM
lately I've been grooving on zipp service course cx wrap. cushy and grippy, even when wet.

prior was a lifelong cinelli cork devotee and transitioned to cork/gel for a while.

dbrown
09-09-2020, 06:57 PM
The stuff is well worth the high price. It lasts forever, and is super comfortable (I hate wearing gloves). You can clean it with Lexol, and even remove and reinstall it, as it doesn’t have adhesive. Put a layer of hockey stick tape under it and it doesn’t migrate at all.

I used hockey tape below my Handelbra. The leather wrap lasted 10 years. $7-8/ year for at tape doesn’t seem expensive to me.

dbnm
09-09-2020, 07:16 PM
buy this
https://www.enve.com/en/products/handlebar-tape/

Thank me later.

djg21
09-09-2020, 07:24 PM
$100 for tape? You have to then make everything else scale to that. $400 tires, etc. Thank you

You have to factor in that Handlebra is a one-time purchase barring a catastrophic crash. It literally lasts for years. Disposable Fizik wrap costas $20+/roll. I used to go through 2-3 rolls of Fizik tape per season. I’ve had the same set of Handlebra on the Lynskey that I rode almost every day for over 5 years. I’m three seasons into my Allied Alpha with newer Handlebra that still looks brand new. I’ve re-wrapped the bars with the same tape multiple times when I tinkered with the locations of my eTap blips. Try doing that with cheaper wrap. The $100 is worth it when you factor in that it lasts for many seasons. All you need to do is clean it once and a while and maybe use a leather conditioner occasionally.

Pinned
09-09-2020, 08:28 PM
I'll preface this by saying I do not like the Fizik or Zipp bar tapes at all - the hard perforated tapes aren't for me.

I like grippy, rubberized tape.

FSA SuperTouch - grippy, easy to wrap, inexpensive. I'm fairly certain this is the same tape Rapha is using for their Pro Team tape (which was also very good).
Enve - thicker and cushier than FSA but similar finish.
Supacaz Super Sticky Kush - just right in terms of thickness, very comfortable, long lasting, comes with the nicest bar end plugs of any tape I'm aware of. Kind of pricey but worthwhile.
Silca - this feels great in the package, will be trying it out on my newest build. Somewhere between the FSA and Supacaz which seems pretty ideal. Also comes with really nice bar end plugs.

Tim Porter
09-09-2020, 09:07 PM
I've had a great experience with the Silca Nastro Piloti this summer; it's just sticky enough and just padded enough. Wraps easily and comes with cool little butterfly-shaped pieces to hide the brake lever bands. You even have two choices of padding depending on which way you wrap it. Seems like it'll last a long time, too. Definitely plan to put it on other bikes as their old tape wears out. Includes super quality bar end plugs and a nice finishing tape.

charliedid
09-09-2020, 09:20 PM
lately I've been grooving on zipp service course cx wrap. cushy and grippy, even when wet.

prior was a lifelong cinelli cork devotee and transitioned to cork/gel for a while.

That's good stuff....have it on my touring bike. I also dig the Cinelli perf. stuff with colors under it.

CAAD
09-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Deda elementi traforato. Inexpensive, comfortable without gloves.

Zackus
09-09-2020, 09:55 PM
I agree with what Wallyman says, I have really enjoyed the Zipp service course CX.

Cheap, good grip, the right amount of padding/thickness for me. Superior in every way to the ENVE tape I bought recently for another bike - that's a waste of money.

I seek nothing more in a grip tape above Zipp service course CX

Rudy
09-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Any recommendations for cloth?

tctyres
09-09-2020, 11:04 PM

Newbaums if traditional.

Campandgoslow has some new rattlesnake designs in stock. Serfas has some interesting woven bar tapes in stock.

PTinz
09-10-2020, 02:20 AM
Newbaums if traditional.

Campandgoslow has some new rattlesnake designs in stock. Serfas has some interesting woven bar tapes in stock.

Slowpokepete showed off that rattlesnake design from campandgoslow in another thread, here or across the hall at the Vsalon-good looking bar wrap!

Im a minority in that i like Lizard Skins, 1.8 or the 2.5 thickness versions (they also make a 3.0). Formally a long time user of Deda cork. Tried Fizik early on and was not a fan, not stretchable, too short, and ripped easily during install, but am told elsewhere on the PL that the newer stuff is good, so i have some queued up for the next replacement.

Frankwurst
09-10-2020, 03:17 AM
I hate to keep repeating myself. HandleBra.:beer:

Jef58
09-10-2020, 05:07 AM

My thoughts exactly. HandleBra is more of an investment than changing tape out yearly. The high cost goes away real quick once it's on the bike. 303 protectant will extend it's life even further.

Mr B
09-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Not a fan of leather tape, having had some dark navy Brooks.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4872/45220144165_3f462ce976_h.jpg

Mash SF (https://www.mashsf.com/) do a nice line of tapes that are of fantastic quality and not overpriced. They come with the best finishing tape I've used, and metal end plugs. I had this on for a surprisingly long time - the tape was still in amazing condition when I recently switched bars so it was kind of a shame to remove it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4804/32259906388_c3d8f487c9_b.jpg

I'm trying some Fizik Terra out right now, it's nice.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50325706373_df7f96d3f1_b.jpg

For my commuter I've had MASH tape

https://live.staticflickr.com/1745/28516957848_214d9bd841_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1753/42540683701_646dee9851_b.jpg

and Rapha Brevet, which is absolutely lovely.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4628/38890962285_c7f807ab19_b.jpg

Hellgate
09-10-2020, 07:12 AM
Zip Service Course tape is my new favorite. Grippy, foamy, tough, reasonably priced.

I've used Cinelli, Sedan, Lizardskins, etc. Zip SC is hands down, no pun intended, my favorite.

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/ac-sc-tape-a1

Tommasini53
09-10-2020, 08:16 AM
I've had a great experience with the Silca Nastro Piloti this summer; it's just sticky enough and just padded enough. Wraps easily and comes with cool little butterfly-shaped pieces to hide the brake lever bands. You even have two choices of padding depending on which way you wrap it. Seems like it'll last a long time, too. Definitely plan to put it on other bikes as their old tape wears out. Includes super quality bar end plugs and a nice finishing tape.

+1 on the Silca bar tape. Pricey but it feels great and lasts a full season without showing wear. IMHO, you do have to spend $$ for durable, good quality HB tape.

charliedid
09-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Nope :)

jemoryl
09-10-2020, 08:52 AM
Recently, I have been very fond of PRO Sport Control Handlebar Tape. Basic EVA tape with a gel adhesive that allows for repositioning/rewrap. Looks and feels good, hard wearing, cheap: just about all I ask for in a tape.

palincss
09-10-2020, 12:19 PM
For cork-styled tapes, the Cinelli gets my vote -- it seems to work well, doesn't rip, and is reasonably priced

However, the Cinelli cork of recent years isn't even remotely like the Cinelli cork of old. The new stuff is rubbery, slippery, doesn't feel even a little bit like cork, and doesn't seem to absorb moisture at all.

chrismoustache
09-10-2020, 12:23 PM
I'm also partial to the Lizard Skins stuff. I like the 1.8.

Toshi Brand cloth tape is the best bet for cloth.

palincss
09-10-2020, 12:24 PM
You have to factor in that Handlebra is a one-time purchase barring a catastrophic crash. It literally lasts for years. Disposable Fizik wrap costas $20+/roll. I used to go through 2-3 rolls of Fizik tape per season. I’ve had the same set of Handlebra on the Lynskey that I rode almost every day for over 5 years. I’m three seasons into my Allied Alpha with newer Handlebra that still looks brand new. I’ve re-wrapped the bars with the same tape multiple times when I tinkered with the locations of my eTap blips. Try doing that with cheaper wrap. The $100 is worth it when you factor in that it lasts for many seasons. All you need to do is clean it once and a while and maybe use a leather conditioner occasionally.

It didn't turn out to be a one-time purchase for me. One rainy spring followed by one hot and humid summer, and Handlebra got soft and wore through where my palms rested on it behind the brake hoods.

Frankwurst
09-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Newbaums or Velox. :beer:

Mike Bryant
09-10-2020, 03:06 PM

I actually put some cotton cloth Cinelli over some worn cork (foam) tape and like it. Cloth by itself... I don’t think I’d like.

Seramount
09-10-2020, 03:13 PM
Disposable Fizik wrap costas $20+/roll. I used to go through 2-3 rolls of Fizik tape per season.

not sure how you're killing your bar tape so quickly...

for me, the Fizik Microtex easily lasts 18-24 months...and that's typically logging 750 miles/month.

combined with long-life, I really like how easily the white tape cleans up.

being a frugal type, I've even re-used tape by wrapping it in the opposite direction to get some extra life out of it.

makoti
09-10-2020, 03:26 PM
Don't tell anyone, but I like the Sram tape. Holds up well, comfortable, easy to use. I tell anyone who asks it's Campy tape.

djg21
09-10-2020, 03:30 PM
It didn't turn out to be a one-time purchase for me. One rainy spring followed by one hot and humid summer, and Handlebra got soft and wore through where my palms rested on it behind the brake hood.

Did you take it off, dry and clean it occasionally? Apply leather conditioner? Mine has gotten wet many times with no issue. Last I checked, cows can stay outside in rain. :)

blindwilly
09-10-2020, 03:47 PM
Did you take it off, dry and clean it occasionally? Apply leather conditioner? Mine has gotten wet many times with no issue. Last I checked, cows can stay outside in rain. :)

Last i checked, dead cows turn into a pile of bones in a matter of weeks.

enr1co
09-10-2020, 06:56 PM
Gonna give this a try. This may be the most I have ever spent on bar tape:eek:

m_sasso
09-10-2020, 11:20 PM
Sure glad to see some consensus in the group!

Don't know how some of you guys hang on to your bars, just out and out bad recommendations or not knowing any better?

enr1co
09-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Will test out this weekend but certainly easy to
wrap and feels comfy, grippy and cushiony feel for bumpy road or off road.

I typically just use electrical tape to finish so ended up repurposing the Enve included rubbery finishing tape as lever blade grip thingys :)

tctyres
09-11-2020, 01:42 PM
Will test out this weekend but certainly easy to
wrap and feels comfy, grippy and cushiony feel for bumpy road or off road.

I typically just use electrical tape to finish so ended up repurposing the Enve included rubbery finishing tape as lever blade grip thingys :)

Looks good.

I typically use self-fusing splicing tape to finish as it bonds to itself securely. I find vinyl electrical tape moves as the adhesive softens with time. It can create a mess.

I've never seen those blade grip thingies. Report back on those. My initial reaction is that they would be good for a bout a week or so. After that, I'd get frustrated with them.

enr1co
09-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Looks good.

I typically use self-fusing splicing tape to finish as it bonds to itself securely. I find vinyl electrical tape moves as the adhesive softens with time. It can create a mess.

I've never seen those blade grip thingies. Report back on those. My initial reaction is that they would be good for a bout a week or so. After that, I'd get frustrated with them.

Thanks! Will try your self fusing splicing tape tip! Agree w/ the eventual electric tape adhesive movement and mess.

jimoots
09-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Fabric Hex and Fabric Knurl tapes are really nice.

Pretty straight forward to wrap with, feels super nice and grippy in the wet. Takes about 10,000km before they start looking tatty.

foregroundmusic
09-12-2020, 09:32 PM

Agreeing with this one too, been my current favorite tape.

Hank Scorpio
09-13-2020, 05:58 AM
I just wrapped the PRO gravel comfort tape. Very grippy and easy to wrap. For my tastes it is a bit thick but not intrusive enough to scrap it.

DaveInATX
09-13-2020, 06:08 AM
I'll be the dissenting opinion. Don't like fizik tape. Mictotex snd others I've tried has been too slippery when damp.

For spendy. I like fabric silicone. Not slippery when wet. Cleans up easily. Wraps well. Reusable.

What brand of fabric silicone do you use?

robertbb
09-13-2020, 06:20 AM

Well, then, some of the frames from big manufacturers are already in proper proportion... :eek:

Clancy
09-13-2020, 06:49 AM
Sure glad to see some consensus in the group!

Don't know how some of you guys hang on to your bars, just out and out bad recommendations or not knowing any better?

Please tell us how we’re doing it all wrong and how one should do it according to you. I seriously would like to know