PDA

View Full Version : Glint reflective tape

Veloo
09-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Anyone use the Glint tape products?

Considering the black rim strips for some subtle reflectivity but wondering just how reflective the black ones are.

http://www.glintreflective.com/product/bike-wheels-kit-black/

TunaAndBikes
09-09-2020, 10:18 AM
I have the colored ones on my bike and haven't had any complains but can't comment on reflectivity as i'm on the bike...
Main goal for me was to comply to local regulation.
I truly believe that if the guy can't see my lights at night (which are also required), he won't see the reflectors either.

Polyglot
09-09-2020, 10:35 AM
I worked for a company in teh late 70's and early 80's that worked with retro-reflective tape like this, so it has existed for over four decades (likely made by 3M) and is much more visible than a light, in particular from a side view. It is very useful at dawn and dusk during fall and winter for commuters. Back in the early 80's, because we were one of the biggest sellers of retro-reflective products to the bike industry, we were given a special experimental black-coloured 3M paint that was initially developed for road signs. The reflective ability was initially quite good but the finish was very poor and the durability of the reflectivity was not great.

TunaAndBikes
09-09-2020, 10:55 AM
I worked for a company in teh late 70's and early 80's that worked with retro-reflective tape like this, so it has existed for over four decades (likely made by 3M) and is much more visible than a light, in particular from a side view. It is very useful at dawn and dusk during fall and winter for commuters. Back in the early 80's, because we were one of the biggest sellers of retro-reflective products to the bike industry, we were given a special experimental black-coloured 3M paint that was initially developed for road signs. The reflective ability was initially quite good but the finish was very poor and the durability of the reflectivity was not great.

That's great to know! Consider me shook!

charliedid
09-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Great products shown here. I just took these pics for you.

verbs4us
09-09-2020, 01:06 PM
A related wrinkle on this one. Years ago I mistakenly biked across a white line that had just been freshly painted and splattered paint all over the BB, downtube and seat tube. Finished the ride and went home to find some turpentine to wipe the stuff off, and no go. It was on and it was dried and cured. It stayed there for several years and had little beads of glass (?) that made it reflective, which was a nice, unexpected dividend to the Jackson Pollack effect. Fast-forward a few years and when I ordered a new frame, I consulted with the finisher about paint. "How about road paint? The stuff is reflective, and bombproof." He thought I was nuts (true that) but did some research. He did not have the spray equipment to handle road paint, which is the consistency of cold molasses. The paint would also be globby (ok with that) and hard to work since it is fast-setting (hmm...). After a few back and forths, I decided I had wasted too much of his time and went with a conventional enamel. But the idea still intrigues me: why not reflective paint?

Peter P.
09-09-2020, 05:07 PM
I looked at the web site and the ad copy says,
"Apply 3 decals evenly (emphsis mine) on each side the wheels for maximum efficiency."

That is incorrect. The brain takes some time to interpret what the eye sees. A spinning wheel does not provide enough light for enough time to register effectively.

Instead, the strips should be placed ADJACENT to each other.

steamer
09-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I recommend Fiks.

https://www.ridewithfiks.com/