PDA

View Full Version : OT: investing in QOZs and QOFs

jimcav
09-08-2020, 07:52 PM
So due to uncertainty in several areas, we decided to sell our house recently. This was a house I bought on active duty and we kept it the last 17 years b/c it was near family, nice area, and we considered moving back at some point. Fast forward over the years it became increasingly unlikely we'd go back.

We decided not to search for something else as a 1031 exchange, but I recently learned about qualified opportunity zones and the qualified opportunity funds that invest in these zones, and am considering putting a chunk of it (what we likely won't need for the boy's college costs) into a QOF.

Problem is, they are so new that I've had little luck researching good QOFs. After half a day googling I found one decent article, but it was all written pre-covid, so some of the assumptions are likely way off, and the only recent things was a Forbes article listing 10 such OQFs.

The 10-year timeline for a QOF investment becoming tax free on gains is fine with me, but does anyone have some experience on how to rate/pick a QOF?

Thank in advance,
Jim