PDA

View Full Version : Classic shallow 31.8mm option?

jojobos
09-08-2020, 05:00 AM
lookin for classic shallow handlebar in alloy, black and 31.8. I want one with steep ramp like

Ritchey WCS neoclassic
Deda zero100 shallow
3T Rotundo
Zipp SL88

Any others??

saab2000
09-08-2020, 05:45 AM
I like the Deda Shallows and I have some spares (used) if interested. 44 outer-to-outer. 42 Center-center.

echappist
09-08-2020, 07:50 AM
Nod for Ritchey

Rotundos are no longer made. And they werent shallow either

Durian Grey
09-08-2020, 08:45 AM
3T Tornova, but these have been harder to find than any of the others on that list (If you have one in 40cm aluminum please pm me :().

The only two that I'd call classic bend are the rotundos and the deda zero100 shallows, and the dedas are the only ones still in production. The Ritcheys, Zipps and the aforementioned Tornova have a flatter ramp for what it's worth.

Edit: Shimano pro vibe 7s had a round version, and Fizik Cyrano Snake. Both have flatter ramps however.

jojobos
09-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your insights guys. Saab, I am looking for 40c-c, thanks for the offer though.

They have less availability and getting more expensive.:eek: no demand I guess..

jtbadge
09-08-2020, 01:15 PM
NeoClassic is my go-to bar. Zipp SL88 is nice but the reach is much longer so I either need to shorter up my stem or use it on a smaller frame.

The Fizik Snake bar is okay but has a weird proportion of reach vs. drop for me - really deep but not that long.

Zipp also used to sell one called "TB" that was a similar shape to the Deda Shallow, etc. - see bar on right side of pic below. Confusingly they also used the "TB" moniker for a weird compact short reach shape

http://monnb.smugmug.com/photos/i-4XqQ9dB/0/O/i-4XqQ9dB.jpg

Durian Grey
09-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Didn't know about the Zipp TB. Another one to add to my list of if-I-can-ever-find-one bars. The Neoclassic and the Deda shallow are pretty much the only ones I can find that are available.

Fiery
09-08-2020, 03:30 PM
Fizik Snake handlebars have decreasing reach and drop measurements in narrower widths. The 40 cm wide bars have 80 mm reach and 130 mm drop, somewhere in between Ritchey NeoClassic and Deda Shallow.

nooneline
09-08-2020, 05:00 PM
Didn't know about the Zipp TB. Another one to add to my list of if-I-can-ever-find-one bars. The Neoclassic and the Deda shallow are pretty much the only ones I can find that are available.

the Neoclassic is a really great shape - it's almost a classic bend but it's optimized for shifters. It's nearly identical to the Pro Vibe 7S Round, but I haven't seen a lot of other companies do that modern-classic bend. And classic-classic bends are getting less common these days.

echappist
09-08-2020, 05:53 PM

And to top it off, Zipp made an aero road bar in traditional bend. That was discontinued a long time ago, and I don't know what I'd get if my current bar is no longer serviceable.

Ritchey does have something similar, though the aero top section is not as wide as the one on the Zipp bar.

Canyon makes an integrated bar with shallowish drop but a traditional bend.

the Neoclassic is a really great shape - it's almost a classic bend but it's optimized for shifters. It's nearly identical to the Pro Vibe 7S Round, but I haven't seen a lot of other companies do that modern-classic bend. And classic-classic bends are getting less common these days.

Classic round bars are going the way of the dodo, unfortunately.

There are some short-and-shallow bars that come sorta close, though. Bontrager's VR-CF would be easily mistaken for a classic round bar

jkbrwn
09-08-2020, 06:10 PM
Fizik Snake handlebars have decreasing reach and drop measurements in narrower widths. The 40 cm wide bars have 80 mm reach and 130 mm drop, somewhere in between Ritchey NeoClassic and Deda Shallow.

And the 38cm have 75/125!

Note Snake's are measured hood to hood so a 38=40, 40=42, 42=44 etc.

dbh
09-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Rotundos are no longer made.

This is news to me. I had no idea. Any ideas on a Rotunda replacement? They're all I've been using for 31.8 bars. Love the classic deep drop.

Caballero
09-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Easton EC90 slx3 pro bend.

Great bars.

Fiery
09-09-2020, 01:39 PM
This is news to me. I had no idea. Any ideas on a Rotunda replacement? They're all I've been using for 31.8 bars. Love the classic deep drop.Look for FSA Energy Traditional, it is still being made. Slightly deeper than the Rotundo, but still the same basic shape.

echappist
09-09-2020, 01:48 PM
This is news to me. I had no idea. Any ideas on a Rotunda replacement? They're all I've been using for 31.8 bars. Love the classic deep drop.

If you need one in 42 cm, I may be selling mine soon.

Otherwise, you are kinda outta luck. 3T revamped its handlebar selections a few years back. There used to be the Rotundo (round tubes all around), Tornova (flattened tops), and Aerotundo (aero foil tops).

3T essentially did away with the Tornova and Aerotundo, and rebranded the Rotundo as Superleggera.

I was looking for a 3T part a few days ago (an Arx II stem), and saw that 3T no longer offer any classic round bend bars. Rather surprising, to be honest.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw, what do people think of the bar on this Trek bike here? It could almost be confused with a classic round, but isn't quite a classic round (curvature at the bottom of the bend is not as tight, alas the Variable Radius nomenclature)

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/2021-trek-madone-slr9-disc.jpg

JeffWarner
09-28-2020, 05:04 AM
Is anyone running a Neo Classic with Shimano Mechanical Shifters and how did the lever position work out? Weightweenies had an older thread about how the tight bend prevented getting the levers positioned high enough and the lever tips would be below the bottom of the bar. Moving the shifters up to get the tips even with the bottom of the bar would cause them to angle outward as the shifter body followed the curve inward.

I’m a fan of Ritchey’s logic bend bars. Tried the Rotundo years ago and while I liked the hooks, the ramp down to the shifters was more than I wanted. Looking for new bars and figured I’d give the Neo Classic a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bthornt
09-28-2020, 09:58 AM
While I was rummaging through some old cycling gear, looking to clean house, I came upon some Zipp bars, still in plastic wrap. The packaging says AM HB DROP SC SS 46. I did spend some time trying to get more information on these bars, but they are from Zipp's pre-SRAM days and there isn't much about them on their web page. I will ultimately try to sell them in the classifieds, but I would like to be able to provide a good description. I know they're 46 cm c to c, and the shape is short and shallow. They are alloy, I'm guessing 7075? It also says Service Course. Does anyone know the actual name of these bars, and can anyone confirm that they are constructed of 7075 aluminum? Any help is appreciated.

vincenz
09-28-2020, 10:02 AM

3T Superleggera Pro alloy bars are the exact same shape and dimensions as 3T Rotundo Pro.

I bought some Superleggera Pro thinking they are like their carbon Team and Team Stealth counterparts, but they are not. They seem to have rebranded the Rotundo to this.

But these too, seem to be phasing out as the 3T website are all about aero modern shapes now.