PDA

View Full Version : hiking and biking comparison

NHAero
09-07-2020, 05:05 PM
This past week my wife and I did our annual week in NH's White Mountains, doing day hikes from an Airbnb we rent each year. Living in a place where the highest point is 311 ft above sea level, we don't have much practice going up or down, but we're in decent overall shape from cycling (me) and running (her). Descending the steep rough New England trails is harder than climbing up - it usually takes us as long to go down as up. Different muscles too.

I was surprised this time to notice how little we would eat on the trail, in terms of calories, compared with what I would need to eat on a long ride in order to not bonk. Our longest day was 8:50 overall and we ascended and descended 4,500 ft in the course of 9.6 miles. The trail going up was 1,000 ft/mile of climbing. Guessing moving time for the day was 7 - 7-1/2 hours. I was certainly pretty wrung out by the end, fell asleep at 7:30 pm and slept close to 12 hours.

Does hiking require fewer calories and is it fewer watts than cycling for similar perceived effort? In May I rode a 101 miler, 3,300 ft of elevation and moving time 6:38. I wasn't as tired after that as after the hike. Of course I'd been riding a lot, so I was more in shape for that type of effort.

XXtwindad
09-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Long distance hikes, particularly over uneven terrain, requires many more muscle groups.

NHAero
09-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Definitely! And because I have nerve damage and consequent muscle loss in my lower left leg and foot, I'm using poles, which I didn't use for most of my life (they seem pretty common now even with young people hiking) so getting some upper body work too.

Long distance hikes, particularly over uneven terrain, requires many more muscle groups.

nmrt
09-07-2020, 05:25 PM
if you're used to biking, and it looks like you are, and not to hiking, you should be tired at the end of a long hike despite the fitness you have due to cycling.

As XX said, different muscles are being used.

I run in the mountains here is CO, but if I do not bike, I suffer when biking for the first few days. And the same goes if I am in biking shape and not running shape. Mater of fact, running in the mountains is an entirely different beast than running in the flats. So, I could be in tip-top running shape in the flats shape yet a measly 2 miles (2500 ft ascent) will beat me down if I am not in hiking/running-in-the-mountains shape.

muz
09-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Everybody has an effort level they can sustain by fat burning alone. Varies based on activity, and different for each person. In theory, if you stay below this threshold, you don't need to eat at all (for a while). In practice, brain may need glucose rather ketones, so your judgement and mood may suffer first.

XXtwindad
09-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Cycling also does nothing for the foot and ankle complex. Most people are inherently weak and unstable in those areas due to restrictive footwear. I’m guessing your feet felt like they were on fire for awhile after.

If I read your post correctly, I would think a long-distance hike would involve more caloric expenditure than a long bike ride.

peanutgallery
09-07-2020, 05:35 PM
We have an active pit/lab mix and for every day on the bike I've agreed to equal time on the trail on foot with a leash. We live about a mile or so from the AT, so hiking is a thing. It helps with the slow burn and keeps my ankles and knees feeling good. Never felt this fit for years and it's all the mutt's fault

PS, get some appropriate footwear

NHAero
09-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Feet were OK. My footwear are Timberland light leather hiking boots (White Ledge model) with Superfeet Green insoles.

muz
09-07-2020, 06:01 PM
So, I could be in tip-top running shape in the flats shape yet a measly 2 miles (2500 ft ascent) will beat me down if I am not in hiking/running-in-the-mountains shape.

That would be a 24% grade if 2 miles is one way, otherwise a 48% grade. I don't see even world class runners doing that comfortably!

C40_guy
09-07-2020, 06:19 PM
if you're used to biking, and it looks like you are, and not to hiking, you should be tired at the end of a long hike despite the fitness you have due to cycling.

As XX said, different muscles are being used.

I've mostly been trail running this year, with my typical runs being 5-7 miles. I did a couple of hikes recently, in the neighborhood of 5 miles each, and I was amazed at how sore I was after the hikes (versus feeling fine after the runs). Even between trail running and hiking, the muscle groups used are quite different.

reuben
09-07-2020, 06:21 PM
They're both good activities, but different. I do both.

As others have mentioned, you use different muscles in different ways. When hiking, foot angle changes with every step - uphill, downhill, roots, rocks, off camber, etc.. Not so with cycling. Off camber sections of trail require strength in many small muscles and ligaments which are not required when cycling.

I personally don't eat much on the trail, but hydration is still important.

C40_guy
09-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Does hiking require fewer calories and is it fewer watts than cycling for similar perceived effort? In May I rode a 101 miler, 3,300 ft of elevation and moving time 6:38. I wasn't as tired after that as after the hike. Of course I'd been riding a lot, so I was more in shape for that type of effort.

Sounds like you had fun!

Keep in mind that you are probably much more efficient on the bike than hiking.

And running or hiking downhill has its own set of issues. Going uphill is more like biking, going downhill is mostly about using your body to manage the descent. Totally different muscle groups.

Cross training is good. :)

AngryScientist
09-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Cross training is good. :)

yes, this 100%

i'm an avid cyclist, runner and hiker.

they are VERY different.

for road cycling, descending is about the same as sitting on your sofa and nodding off to sleep. point the front end where it needs to go and be done with it.

hiking in challenging terrain means you work for every meter, up or down.

with regard to nutrition intake - every body works a little differently. temperature matters too. i once bonked so hard on a hike due to dehydration that i literally couldnt get food down because my body was in a water deficit - i would have been way better off drinking more and forgetting the food on that particular day.

best advice is know your body. listen to what it needs. be prepared to fuel as necessary.

have a back-up plan.

have a plan C when the plan, and the back-up plan go pear shaped.

i am very familiar with needing the plan c and beyond, lol. :banana:

NHAero
09-07-2020, 06:46 PM
We were adequately hydrated, good point about that. I had a full 3 liter Camelback on the longer days and even then came home with it empty. I had no leg cramps at night the whole week.

buddybikes
09-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Hiking is experiencing where you are, not what time it takes

verticaldoug
09-07-2020, 07:14 PM
I tend to echo C40 opinion.

I am surprised your calf and lower leg isn't killer sore, but that's probably because you chose to descend slowly. Pick it up, and see what happens.

If you have a heart rate monitor, wear it for your hike. You can track your total calories burned and average heart rate.

I think your 100 mile ride even with lower altitude gain was probably a much harder continual effort calorie-wise than the hike.

The fact you descend slower than you climb is a give away. I have old hiking maps from the Japanese Alps with estimated times to ascents and descents. The ascents are always longer unless you are in terrain which required scrambling to ascend and descend.

As SteveandBarb said, hiking is about the experience, not about the speed. I was never a hiker, I was a peak bagger.

XXtwindad
09-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Hiking is experiencing where you are, not what time it takes

The same could be said for cycling, right?

NHAero
09-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Quads were the sorest from descent. I feel cycling put me in good shape for climbing, I felt good. We weren't peak bagging, although the pup is working on getting all of the Presidential Range peaks :) She does more elevation than we do, by far, and chases squirrels as well. By the time we get back to home each night, we don't have to entertain her in the evening.

Peter P.
09-07-2020, 10:03 PM
Does hiking require fewer calories and is it fewer watts than cycling for similar perceived effort?

I think your heartrate is lower while hiking and here's my logic considering your level of hunger.

Demand for calories was lower therefore your carbohydrate stores lasted longer. And our bodies are much more sensitive to hydration loss vs. lack of food, which explains why you were surprised at how little you ate vs. your water intake.

I agree with the suggestion to wear a heartrate monitor or pedometer when hiking and see what the numbers are. Remember to calibrate the pedometer to your bodyweight including the weight of your backpack.

I wear a pedometer when I hike but it's calibrated to my unladen bodyweight. The pedometer calculated I burned 524 Calories over 5.8 miles. Mind you today I was carrying a chainsaw and a backpack with tools that weighs near 30lbs. so my Calories burned was likely higher, but I was not walking continuously; my heartrate was definitely lower while running the chainsaw.

pdmtong
09-07-2020, 10:33 PM
Like most sports, the only thing that can really prepare you for that sport is doing that sport.

We did a short backpack trip mid-July - day one valley floor to little yosemite valley (started at 1:00pm in 90d+, day two half dome, day three down JMT to the floor. remarkable to be there with so few people. it was like a time warp to 30 years ago.

idk whats harder...the one day round trip (12 miles, 5,000 gain, starting at 6:00am @ 4,000') or hauling my vintage body with vintage gear up the Mist trail in the heat.

Way harder than any suffering on the bike.

And yes, poles. with pole suddenly you are in 4WD ultra-crab mode.

The costco cascade mountain carbon ones for $30 are more than adequate. idk why anyone would pay more.

tkbike
09-07-2020, 11:11 PM
yes, this 100%

i'm an avid cyclist, runner and hiker.

they are VERY different.

for road cycling, descending is about the same as sitting on your sofa and nodding off to sleep. point the front end where it needs to go and be done with it.

hiking in challenging terrain means you work for every meter, up or down.

with regard to nutrition intake - every body works a little differently. temperature matters too. i once bonked so hard on a hike due to dehydration that i literally couldnt get food down because my body was in a water deficit - i would have been way better off drinking more and forgetting the food on that particular day.
best advice is know your body. listen to what it needs. be prepared to fuel as necessary.

I’m an Avid runner(40+ miles per week), backpacker(51 nights so far this year) and casual rider(100-150 miles per week). I don’t day hike and my riding is used for recovery from longer runs.

This past week I did a typical trail run of 12 miles(2000’), 3 day backpack(34 miles 9000 ft with 30# pack) and today I did my college ride(CSU to CU to CSU,105 miles).

In terms of effort, aerobic/anaerobic output and calorie burning in order are; trail running, backpacking, cycling.

I hydrate heavily all week and do not drink a lot while running, riding or backpacking. A typical 12 mile run will be 1 liter, 10-15 mile backpack will be 1.5-2 liters and todays ride was 2 large water bottles.

I’m a big fan of honey stinger products and always have waffles and gel with me.
For reference I’m 6’2 and 165#.

As a side note, I was back in the Adirondacks last month and I felt like an Olympic athlete back at sea level, running in the high peaks was incredible!

merlinmurph
09-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Descending the steep rough New England trails is harder than climbing up - it usually takes us as long to go down as up. Different muscles too.

Ha! Absolutely agree. You just described me. I'll climb all day in the mountains, but get crushed on the descent. My legs will be a mess for the next few days after a good 4000' hike. I just need to do it more, and I'm sure running would help.

What did you climb?

jemdet
09-08-2020, 02:24 PM
I do a lot of both. I'd probably say that your standard marathon-length hike is as hard as a century ride, but it depends on a lot of factors. Terrain, elevation, wind speed, etc.

pdmtong
09-08-2020, 03:27 PM
I’m an Avid runner(40+ miles per week), backpacker(51 nights so far this year) and casual rider(100-150 miles per week). I don’t day hike and my riding is used for recovery from longer runs.

This past week I did a typical trail run of 12 miles(2000’), 3 day backpack(34 miles 9000 ft with 30# pack) and today I did my college ride(CSU to CU to CSU,105 miles).

In terms of effort, aerobic/anaerobic output and calorie burning in order are; trail running, backpacking, cycling.

I hydrate heavily all week and do not drink a lot while running, riding or backpacking. A typical 12 mile run will be 1 liter, 10-15 mile backpack will be 1.5-2 liters and todays ride was 2 large water bottles.

I’m a big fan of honey stinger products and always have waffles and gel with me.
For reference I’m 6’2 and 165#.

As a side note, I was back in the Adirondacks last month and I felt like an Olympic athlete back at sea level, running in the high peaks was incredible!

Jealous. Co-workers would come out from the Springs and just crush me. I would go there and could barely make the stairs up the second floor. Forget having a beer. that made things worse.

As for hiking, way easier going UP than down. If you misplant going down bad things can happen.

C40_guy
09-08-2020, 04:07 PM
When you're biking, 2/3 of your weight is on your butt and 1/3 is on your arms. You expend very little energy holding yourself upright.

And your bike may be carrying 48 oz of water, plus tools, plus AAA card...

When you're hiking or running, you are supporting all of your weight on your core and legs...plus your water and other supplies.

Quite different use of energy...

reuben
09-08-2020, 05:14 PM
I do a lot of both. I'd probably say that your standard marathon-length hike is as hard as a century ride, but it depends on a lot of factors. Terrain, elevation, wind speed, etc.

26 miles in one day of hiking is a LOT. At at typical 2-2.5mph pace that's 10-13 hours, not counting breaks. 20 miles per day is what thru hikers often do just so they can make it to the other end before the weather gets too bad.

I've finally gotten to the point where I intentionally stop to soak in a good view, don't obsess about how long it takes to filter water, etc. I plan my trips, but I also leave them open to take advantage of opportunities that may arise. It's been well worthwhile.

I've also come to think more in terms of time than distance, whether it be hiking or cycling.

Slow down. The rewards are greater.

http://mayophoto.net/trips/2015%20South%20America/_DSC0799.jpg