PDA

View Full Version : Haiku or Bike-ku or Baiku

Wayne77
09-07-2020, 02:37 PM
For some reason I got obsessed with Haikus over the weekend. The first I've ever written and possibly the worst you will ever read:

Once again, baffled.
People are so very weird.
And thus, bikes were made.

How to bikes, got it.
How to people, I give up.
Going for a ride.

Mornings, things make sense.
By noon, things get weird again.
Fine, not my first rodeo.

I guess I probably shouldn't quit my day job :-)

XXtwindad
09-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Like any great work of art, this left me with a surfeit of questions and thoughts.

1) What does being “obsessed” with Haiku look like? What Internet glory holes did you burrow into and where did you end up?

2) If I recall correctly, a few other Paceliners (I think it was Mr. Pink and gasman) are really heavily into iambic pentameter. Maybe you guys could form a club.

3) In order to achieve optimal haiku “clickbait” you might want to weave in furry little animals and disc brakes.

But I see lots of potential here. I greet you at the beginning of a great career.

OtayBW
09-07-2020, 04:26 PM
My favorite collection on Haiku is by R.H. Blythe, Haiku v1-4 (~1950, Hokuseido Press, Tokyo). He really goes deeply into the spiritual (Buddhist) origins. If you like this kind of stuff, it's a great read....

NHAero
09-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Does your day job requires counting :)
Check the last line of the third haiku.
Nonetheless, I commend these efforts and like XX, welcome you to your true calling.

My wife is much smarter than I, except in math. A few years ago our local library sold bricks for the entry pathway as one of the fundraisers for the addition/renovation project. We each bought a brick to honor our mothers, and were entitled to have three lines engraved on the brick, so we decided to write haikus. Hers was brilliant compared to mine, except she didn't notice it was 18 syllables.

For some reason I got obsessed with Haikus over the weekend. The first I've ever written and possibly the worst you will ever read:

Once again, baffled.
People are so very weird.
And thus, bikes were made.

How to bikes, got it.
How to people, I give up.
Going for a ride.

Mornings, things make sense.
By noon, things get weird again.
Fine, not my first rodeo.

I guess I probably shouldn't quit my day job :-)

kohlboto
09-07-2020, 06:00 PM
To write a poem
Of seventeen syllables
Is very diffic

weisan
09-07-2020, 06:14 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a5/9f/a3/a59fa3a026810663474e6f88e5c0e598.jpg

Bob Ross
09-07-2020, 06:17 PM
10 or 12 years ago I got on a major haiku kick and was writing them daily. Naturally, some of the subject matter revolved around bikes. E.g.,

=======
one week after I
get my bike back from the shop
I taco my wheel!
=======
Hey, I finally
got my bike back from the shop
three weeks was too long
=======
Just scored on eBay:
Nineteen eighty-five Bridgestone
maybe steel is real?
=======
I spent the last hour
pulling glass shards from my tires
with a dental pick

my wife thinks that I'm
being a bit obsessive
but I don't want flats!
=======
I rode today with
my former mentor; he is
selling his Hampsten.

I thanked ev'ry god
in the universe that I'm
too tall for his bike.

Otherwise I would
definitely have had to
refinance the house!
=======

Wayne77
09-08-2020, 09:52 PM
Does your day job requires counting :)
Check the last line of the third haiku.
Nonetheless, I commend these efforts and like XX, welcome you to your true calling.

My wife is much smarter than I, except in math. A few years ago our local library sold bricks for the entry pathway as one of the fundraisers for the addition/renovation project. We each bought a brick to honor our mothers, and were entitled to have three lines engraved on the brick, so we decided to write haikus. Hers was brilliant compared to mine, except she didn't notice it was 18 syllables.

Hahahaha! not sure how I got five syllables from 7!

Wayne77
09-08-2020, 09:55 PM
this is great stuff guys! Let's see more. Love the bike haikus!