PDA

View Full Version : How do I deal with different arm lengths?

zmalwo
09-07-2020, 11:16 AM
So my left arm is shorter than my right arm because the left shoulder is higher than the right. My left arm tries really hard to reach the hood while my right arm is comfortable. Does anyone here suffers the same problem as me but has a good solution for it?

tomato coupe
09-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't you just set up your bars so the short arm is comfortable, and then have more elbow bend on the long arm?

gasman
09-07-2020, 12:05 PM
This worked for a buddy- unwrap your bar tape and move your left shifter up a little bit. He’s more comfortable and I don’t notice it when his hands are on the hoods.

reuben
09-07-2020, 12:56 PM
So my left arm is shorter than my right arm because the left shoulder is higher than the right. My left arm tries really hard to reach the hood while my right arm is comfortable. Does anyone here suffers the same problem as me but has a good solution for it?

So your left arm isn't actually shorter, but your shoulders make it seem that way?

My left shoulder is also higher than my right. It can cause me some trouble, but never on a bike. I guess that stretching out a bit, on the hoods or drops, maybe makes them more even, at least in my case.

Good luck.

yinzerniner
09-07-2020, 01:21 PM
This worked for a buddy- unwrap your bar tape and move your left shifter up a little bit. He’s more comfortable and I don’t notice it when his hands are on the hoods.

This seems like the winner. Who cares how it looks if you're comfortable.

Also a bike fit should also help a lot and might even have some other suggestions on altering other cockpit positions for optimal efficiency and comfort, the cumulative effect of smaller adjustments could lead to a large gain in both.

fried bake
09-07-2020, 01:32 PM
I suffer the same problem; as well as moving the shifter higher, the effective reach can be impacted by angle of shifter in or out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jpw
09-07-2020, 02:02 PM
A custom bar?

Peter P.
09-07-2020, 02:17 PM
There's no reason you can't set the bars so they're offset from square to the bike's centerline. Then rotate the levers on the bar so they both point straight ahead.

It may look unusual to others but if it works for you, who cares?

jpw
09-07-2020, 02:20 PM
There's no reason you can't set the bars so they're offset from square to the bike's centerline. Then rotate the levers on the bar so they both point straight ahead.

...putting the tops at a diagonal alignment?

Fixed
09-07-2020, 03:07 PM
this worked for a buddy- unwrap your bar tape and move your left shifter up a little bit. He’s more comfortable and i don’t notice it when his hands are on the hoods.

+1

gbcoupe
09-07-2020, 03:45 PM

This seems to me to be the best solution. You probably wouldn't have to angle too much to make for even arm length.

My right shoulder is a little lower from torn ligaments decades ago. My brother held me while his friend wrenched my arm upward behind my back.

My reach is only 5mm different straight out, but probably more with drop. I've never had to make any adjustments. Maybe because it happened when I was still growing and started riding just a few years after?

Thankfully puberty hit and I gained the upper hand. 40 plus years later, my brother is still an ass.

Sorry for the slight thread drift.

Peter P.
09-07-2020, 10:14 PM
...putting the tops at a diagonal alignment?

Exactly. Sort of like a parallelogram, with the handlebars a long side, and the brake levers two, opposite, angled sides. It would be so subtle most people wouldn't notice and who cares what it looks like if you're riding pain-free?

Example: Many people don't sit square on their saddles. Angling the saddle slightly off axis often cures any discomfort or chafing issues.

mep
09-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Get a thicker glove for the shorter side. If they're black on both sides probably no one will notice, and your bike stays symmetric.

William
09-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Your post reminded me of a custom stem/handlebar crafted by Eric Estlund for a client with a similar issue. I don't know if this is a consideration or even needed but I figured I would share another option that was posted here on the forum. The image can be found in the Winter Bicycles Builder Spotlight thread...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=116370

W.