PDA

View Full Version : Serotta dealer attitude

d_douglas
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't believe that I am crossing any forum etiquette lines here, but alert me if I am. I live about 2km away from what I have heard is/was the largest Serotta dealer in Europe (Geneva, Switzerland). I am not sure if they are still dealers, as he does nothing to advertise and only has a few old stock bikes in stock. (1 small Atlanta and I lovely black ti frame) By the looks of his Trek-ful showroom, he has gone with an easier sell. No problem, I understand that.

I stopped by the shop tonight to find a cheap seatpost for my wife's bike and spoke with a reasonably decent shop guy. Through my poor French, I asked if he ever had any old Serotta frames come through the shop - he said occasionally, then took me to their showroom, which is kind of a window display more than anything (you can only enter with a sales clerk)

The shop owner was there and asked what I was inquiring about, then proceeded to condescend towards me, telling me I was dreaming to find one. He assumed that I had no idea what a Serotta was, so I felt compelled to tell him that I already owned one and was looking for another one as a city bike, etc. He sniffed and essntially said, "find your way out".

It reminded me of when I stopped in there one other time on my Serotta to ask for a quick wrench to the headset (it was rattling on my way out for a ride and I had left my tools behind) Before he agreed to tighten it up, he felt compelled to tell me that the frame was too big for me. For one, I think the frame feels great and fits well, but secondly, even if it is true that it is too big (he is an experienced bike mechanic and I believe was a kick *** rider in his day) why the hell did he feel compelled to tell me that?

After several referencees to "when Ben was here..." today, it got me thinking whether Mr. Serotta does attitude/quality control on his sales sources? This guy was such an *** to me, and I assume that it was because I was A) a foreigner B) spoke poor French, but I also realize that most of his sales might come from ridiculously rich Genevois. Or does he talk down to anyone who he suspects can't afford what he sells?

If this dealer is on this forum, well, he should read this and take note. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Monsieur Serotta, any thoughts on this? Geez.

PS another funny sidenote: when I rolled in on my MTB commuter, the mechanic stopped and looked at my bike and asked why I would put a King HS on the frame because it wasn't very good quality (its a handbuilt Rocky Mountain). He also told me that the frame looked 'unbalanced' (it has skinny slicks and fenders). Maybe, but I didn't ask you. This is the frame that I have ridden for 13 years now and fits me like a glove.

This was unsolicited advice - he just wanted to tell me that I had made a bad choice. Thanks, bro.

saab2000
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
This is not Serotta. This is the shop in Switzerland. Trust me. Been there, done that.

Surly Swiss people? Never!!! :rolleyes:

d_douglas
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Have you been to this 'to-be-un-named' shop?? So it isn't just me? It isn't just that I speak French like a 6 year old??

I wasn't implying that Serotta would intentionally seek out dealers with a horrid attitude - I realize that the bottom line is that these guys can sell Serotta product - that is what Serotta is interested in.

They actually had an old used Serotta ti frame in my size hanging up - I asked what year it was and he corrected me by saying that I should ask how much mileage was on it. Sales BS - I know what he is getting at, but I didn't ask that question. Listen buddy, tell me what year it is!?!?

It is actually a good shop, but their attitude is so terrible that I am driven away from it. I have a friend seeking out a C50 and I suggested that he avoid these guys. Not to be vindictive, but there's $8000 that they've missed out on.

boudie
02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I've had the same experience here in the US.....amen bro. :confused:

Ti Designs
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I've had the same experience here in the US....

It's not my fault you don't know the secret handshake!

dave thompson
02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I've had the same experience here in the US.....amen bro. :confused:
A snob is a snob, regardless what they sell.

Sometimes dealers forget the meaning of the word "sales" and seem to be in business to amuse themselves. It's not exclusive to any particular brand.

Smiley
02-05-2007, 05:46 PM
I assume Andrew has logged your complaint already :)

good to know that bad service exsistes on both sides of the globe .

catulle
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
A snob is a snob, regardless what they sell.

Sometimes dealers forget the meaning of the word "sales" and seem to be in business to amuse themselves. It's not exclusive to any particular brand.

+1. Sadly, though, there are too many of them.

Serotta_Andrew
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
If ever in Freiburg Germany give Michael Frank a ring at ExtraTour. I know Michael personally and his Serotta's get ridden every day

EXTRATOUR
Schwabentorring 12
D-79098 Freiburg
Tel.: 0 76 1/ 28 67 33
Fax: 0 76 1/ 28 67 34
extratour@extratour-freiburg.de
www.extratour-freiburg.de

Serotta Bike Fit Technician: Michael Frank

Serotta PETE
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
An "***" in a shop is an "***" no matter what they sell or where. The only way to affect them is to walk(with your wallet) right out of the shop.

I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet Michael and his family at OTTROTT last year.... He is a wonderful person and I am sure that this follows thru to his dealings with customers. He is a rider, people lover, and yes a drinker of red wine.... :beer:

PETE

If ever in Freiburg Germany give Michael Frank a ring at ExtraTour. I know Michael personally and his Serotta's get ridden every day

EXTRATOUR
Schwabentorring 12
D-79098 Freiburg

CNY rider
02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I can understand you being upset with poor service, but I don't think you can lay this one at Ben's doorstep. There's only so much he can control vis a vis other people's behavior, especially when the man in question does not even work for him!

stevep
02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
a bad apple ruins the bunch.
jst move on.

SPOKE
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM

EXTRATOUR
Schwabentorring 12
D-79098 Freiburg

i'll have to second the vote for Michael. met him and his wife while in France. first class guy! :beer:

fierte_poser
02-05-2007, 09:38 PM
When I walk into a bike shop, I expect to be treated as if I have the means to buy any bike in the shop "just because." Some shops get it, some don't.

On a related note, one of the best sales experiences I have ever had was walking into a Lexus dealership on a whim in a sweatshirt and jeans and being treated by the salesperson in a suit and tie as if I could write a personal check right then and there for an LS430. He got it. :beer:

shinomaster
02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
When I walk into a bike shop, I expect to be treated as if I have the means to buy any bike in the shop "just because." Some shops get it, some don't.

On a related note, one of the best sales experiences I have ever had was walking into a Lexus dealership on a whim in a sweatshirt and jeans and being treated by the salesperson in a suit and tie as if I could write a personal check right then and there for an LS430. He got it. :beer:

That's how it should be. The only time I treat customers poorly is when they are obviously high, or trying to steal stuff.

davids
02-06-2007, 08:25 AM
That's how it should be. The only time I treat customers poorly is when they are obviously high, or trying to steal stuff.
If they're high, shouldn't you be trying to sell them stuff they don't want or need?

Phil Selisker
02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
i'll have to second the vote for Michael. met him and his wife while in France. first class guy! :beer:

He's also one of the strongest (and nicest) riders I ever tried to ride with...note tried, we turned back to town for apple turnovers. :)

Gothard
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Darren,
Ho on earth did he guess you are not a Geneva native???

:p

Go elsewhere. If he only has 2 older serottas, I don't think you'll find your pleasure there.
And, if he is the past racer I am thinking about, he was the biggest *ss already during his career.

saab2000
02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Have you been to this 'to-be-un-named' shop?? So it isn't just me? It isn't just that I speak French like a 6 year old??

I have not been to the dealer in question. My life in Switzerland was largely in the Ostschweiz - the German speaking part, near Zurich. There was a Serotta dealer there, but I was not really Serotta savvy back then. A friend of mine won several Swiss Women's Championships on Serottas IIRC, but I rode other things then. I wish I had paid more attention to Serotta then though, that's for sure.

Yes, bad service exists everywhere. And snobs do too, who patronise and talk down to their clients if they have some 'bling' hanging in their shop. I had this kind of twice at Serotta dealers in Minneapolis, but I don't blame Serotta, whom I believe bend over backwards to make their bikes accessible to those who want them.

ti_boi
02-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Well not all dealers in the US are perfect....................When the local Serotta dealer built my bike ( after a long conversation about quality and attention to detail ) they decided to take a coat of paint off of the head tube to mount my CK headset.

Essentially leaving a ring of raw titanium visible from 'underneath' the bike (when it is hanging you can see it if you look carefully).

I was so completely disgusted. The dealer 'distanced' themselves from the 'work' saying ... well it looks like it was done....blah blah blah....LOOKS LIKE?

Well it was YOU (the dealer) who did the work. Then refer to the botched job in the 3rd person. Still makes me angry!

d_douglas
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Are you trying to tell my my accent is detectable? I get compliments about it, at times. Oh, and many confused looks, but I am not sure why.

Other than the fact that it is the closest bike shop to my apartment, I have no other reason to go there. He wants 35chf for one of those super basic seatpost pillars that sell for $10 in Canada. C'mon guys, this ain't Swiss quality here!

There's a decent shop with nice guys working there just a few blocks further away - I will stick to their service.

A bientot, (quebecois-style)

Darren

cachagua
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
There's an awful lot of specialized knowledge about bikes (and more every Shimano product launch) which, when people have mastered it, they're justifiably proud. When the shape that pride takes is an eagerness to share it and help others make choices based on it, you have good salesmanship; when someone's motivation is to demonstrate how very little you know, compared to them, --well, as someone said above: my wallet and I walk out the door. I will do it in the middle of their sentence -- I don't even owe them "Have a good day".

Sadly, it still infuriates me, far more than it should -- but I got the bug early; the manager of the first shop I worked in was absolutely intolerable that way. Most recently, a guy tried to tell me Shimano internal-gear hubs were infallibly CERTAIN to be correctly lubed and adjusted from the factory "because they have robots bigger than this ROOM there!"... this after I'd seen photos of hubs rusted to uselessness after a winter of commuting. Never did get to tell him that... couldn't get a word in edgewise...

And that is a shop I will never set foot in. Economic leverage is all we have on those guys. Well, and firearms... ;-)

Lorenz
03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
And another count for EXTRATOUR in Freiburg.

Both of my Serottas (and some other beast) come from over there. Amazing service - even years after purchase. Michael Frank is such an awesome person to work with. I have to mention that Freiburg is 400 miles away - but going there is worth every mile (Geneva shouldn't any further way). One more thing Michale Frank has a very, very tight connection with the mother ship - always being able to supply information on a very short notice. Very valuable in today's world. Cheers, Lorenz

slowgoing
03-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Tell us about the Atlanta he has available in that shop. You said it is small. What size? What color? Price???

happycampyer
03-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Tell us about the Atlanta he has available in that shop. You said it is small. What size? What color? Price???Since the original post was from February 2007, it's unlikely that it's still there...

pdmtong
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
it always kills me to start readoing a x+ year old post and realise it is OLD...when I saw steveP reply I that was my light bulb moment...who are you guys dredging up old threads....!

Plum Hill
03-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, Geneva is in the French part of Switzerland.

On my first trip to Switzerland, I spied a Serotta sign in the window of a shop while on the train from Interlaken to Lucern.
Never could find that place.