PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on pricing for this bike on Craigslist

tv_vt
09-06-2020, 02:42 PM
I am looking for some feedback from you all on suggested pricing for this used steel bike. Selling locally on Craigslist and am not sure on pricing. Here is the ad text. Photos of bike are on the link to ad at bottom. (This is not a sneaky way of posting this for sale here, just really would like to get comments on how much to ask for this. I know what I spent on custom parts and paint, so may be a bit jaded.)

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

"Selling this beautiful 59cm semi-custom road/gravel bike. Started out as a bare Jamis Aurora steel frame made of Reynolds steel tubing, then added a custom fork, custom steel 31.6mm stem, custom powdercoat paint and decals (vinyl, easily removable), and matching metal fenders. It's a great year-round bike, rain bike, commuter bike, gravel bike, you name it. Take off the fenders and it will easily take 32mm tires and some 35mm ones.
Here's a list of components:
Mavic wheels
Shimano Ultegra 9 speed STI shifters with gear indicator and wide range cassette
FSA Gossamer compact crank with Shimano Octalink bottom bracket
Shimano mid-reach caliper brakes, work well with fenders and bigger tires
Chris King headset
Prologo Scratch Pro saddle with titanium rails
Fork was custom made by Anderson Custom Cycles
Stem was custom made by Winter Bicycles. Has 31.6 handlebar clamp, which works with most handlebars currently available. Handlebars are FSA alloy compact, 44cm wide.
Paint is custom Kingsport Grey powder coat; stem is painted to match the frame
Fenders are Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders, color is very close match to frame color
Included in the sale are: Blackburn frame pump, Elite stainless bottle cages, Italian Bike mirror handlebar mirror, and Ortlieb handlebar bag. Pedals not included.
Excellent condition. $??? (what do you think?) obo."

https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/d/white-river-junction-jamis-semi-custom/7191311195.html

weisan
09-06-2020, 02:48 PM
I think your starting price is more than fair.

I will be willing to come down to $650 for the extra special/right buyer.

tv_vt
09-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Weisan. That's probably what I would do if it was a good buyer.

Hilltopperny
09-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Looks like a fair starting price to me. That is a very nice set up for it's intended purpose and with all the extra stuff. Not sure what the market is there in VT right now and have been surprised by what certain bikes in certain markets are bringing in.

denvervig
09-06-2020, 06:58 PM
If I still lived in Montreal, that would be considered a great find. You might consider listing in the Montreal CL as well as Kijiji as when I'm there visiting family, I usually waste a few minutes surfing to see what's available and it always seems like it's hard to find good quality bikes in that price point putting aside the fluctuating value of the looney...

merlinmurph
09-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Sounds nice, esp with the extras.

Q: Do you really want a gravel bike that has limited tire clearance?

Edit: Sorry, I just realized you're selling it, not buying it. Don't mind me, I can be an idiot.

Spaghetti Legs
09-07-2020, 10:11 AM
That’s a nice bike, but I think price might be a little high. What kind of Reynolds steel? I think I would put “commuter bike” in the title in addition to or in place of gravel bike. Most folks shopping for gravel bikes I would think have a different concept in mind and wouldn’t linger on this one.

I think $700 ish would be a better price. I say that due to the 9 speed kit, Jamis skeleton, which although quality bikes, don’t have a lot of cachet.

GLWS!

pbarry
09-07-2020, 10:49 AM
Nice deal there. Asking is spot on imo. I think you'll get 750ish. Nice build!

tv_vt
09-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the comments. I did have it listed with 'touring bike' in the title, but maybe commuter is better.
The Reynolds tubing is very basic 520 double-butted main tubes with forged dropouts with double eyelets in back. Not a light bike.

Ken Robb
09-07-2020, 01:28 PM
What is the saddle height in the photo?

tv_vt
09-07-2020, 01:49 PM
In those photos, it's 76cm. I'm 6'2" and it seems like a lot of riders my size are up around 80cm or more, but that length is pretty typical for me. Bike has an extended seat lug, which I really like, cuz it gets the TT lower.

But Ken, don't get any ideas. I'm East Coast and you're West Coast. I'm trying to sell w/o shipping! :no:
(Hey, by the way, do you ever hear of a Cat Cafe in La Jolla? Have a high school friend who has one out there.)

Ken Robb
09-07-2020, 03:05 PM
It's too close to my Rambouillet for me to have interest. I was just curious and I knew that others who might actually be buyers would want to know. I think I would rather have a root canal than have to pack/ship another bike so I understand wanting to sell locally.

Ken Robb
09-07-2020, 05:09 PM
There was a coffee shop that had a cat but it wasn't called a cat cafe. Heck, I have hardly been out of the house for six months so what do I know?