PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist shakedowns

mtechnica
09-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Have you guys noticed this happening as of late? Someone will list something for a low/reasonable price to get interest, then tell you someone else offered more so they are raising the price. This seems to be a new selling strategy and I am mad about it.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Have you guys noticed this happening as of late? Someone will list something for a low/reasonable price to get interest, then tell you someone else offered more so they are raising the price. This seems to be a new selling strategy and I am mad about it.

Then you ghost them. Craigslist has been the cesspool in the used selling game for a while now. FB marketplace is quickly becoming a close second.

zzy
09-06-2020, 01:19 PM
The spike in bike prices and corresponding lack of availability has driven a lot of scumbags into the secondary market. Bike theft is way up too. You need a bit of common sense now more than ever. I've had several people offer more than my ask to see a bike ahead of someone I had promised. With a few quick texts I can usually filter the scum easily and I've had the easiest time selling bikes in my life. A shocking number of people have paid my full ask, refused a test ride and even a saddle adjustment, and tossed the bike into the back of an SUV. It's an extreme seller's market.

C40_guy
09-06-2020, 03:18 PM
I've had several people offer more than my ask to see a bike ahead of someone I had promised.

Same here. I politely said that they'd just have to wait their turn.

spank
09-06-2020, 03:35 PM
... gotta ask yourself, Why were you interested in it in the first place? Is it because it was priced low enough to get your interest or was it something you absolutely wanted/must have?

May be the seller's genuine reaction to unexpected interest. Unfair to condemn anyone for acknowledging what they thought was worth $X was apparently worth $X+ and is adjusting the price according to market conditions. Happens with houses all the time where people offer more than the asking price because they really want it.

When MINI Coopers first came out in 2002, the only dealership in San Diego put right on the price sticker "+10% Market Adjustment" and raised the price because demand exceeded the supply. Some people went up to Irvine to buy them for sticker price to save the 10%. If you can find the item cheaper, go find it cheaper.

If someone else wants it more than you do, let them have it. No reason to let yourself get bitter over it or blame the seller. You have no idea the seller's original intent, or financial situation or reason for selling. Always nice to think the best of people rather than the worst.

Just a few days ago, I had someone "adjust" the price of a bicycle an additional 42% because he said he made a mistake while listing multiple items and typed the same lower price in for the second item as he had for the first item. He gave me the option of paying the higher price or letting him move on to sell it to someone else for what he said was his intended price. I still thought the price was fair so I said I wasn't as enthused as I initially was but that I would still like to buy it at the higher price.

I also was in a similar situation where I was asked if I would like to top someone else's offer. I declined and said No Thanks but appreciated the opportunity, and if that higher offer went away I'd still be here willing to pay the advertised price. I never heard back so I guess it sold for more.

denvervig
09-06-2020, 06:19 PM
... gotta ask yourself, Why were you interested in it in the first place? Is it because it was priced low enough to get your interest or was it something you absolutely wanted/must have?

May be the seller's genuine reaction to unexpected interest. Unfair to condemn anyone for acknowledging what they thought was worth $X was apparently worth $X+ and is adjusting the price according to market conditions. Happens with houses all the time where people offer more than the asking price because they really want it.

When MINI Coopers first came out in 2002, the only dealership in San Diego put right on the price sticker "+10% Market Adjustment" and raised the price because demand exceeded the supply. Some people went up to Irvine to buy them for sticker price to save the 10%. If you can find the item cheaper, go find it cheaper.

If someone else wants it more than you do, let them have it. No reason to let yourself get bitter over it or blame the seller. You have no idea the seller's original intent, or financial situation or reason for selling. Always nice to think the best of people rather than the worst.

Just a few days ago, I had someone "adjust" the price of a bicycle an additional 42% because he said he made a mistake while listing multiple items and typed the same lower price in for the second item as he had for the first item. He gave me the option of paying the higher price or letting him move on to sell it to someone else for what he said was his intended price. I still thought the price was fair so I said I wasn't as enthused as I initially was but that I would still like to buy it at the higher price.

I also was in a similar situation where I was asked if I would like to top someone else's offer. I declined and said No Thanks but appreciated the opportunity, and if that higher offer went away I'd still be here willing to pay the advertised price. I never heard back so I guess it sold for more.

Agreed - everyone has a right to price discovery especially in an age where anyone can check ebay, etc. That said, each market likely has its own supply/demand characteristics. In Denver, I have had to buy and sell several items over the last several months on CL all of which would be considered on the high end side and found good deals/pricing and gave similar value. We scored a great a deal on a Cannondale for my son and missed out on a grossly underpriced Serotta for my wife that was naturally bid up.