PDA

View Full Version : Best time for a fitting?

scrooge
02-05-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to get a fitting done (not getting a new bike, but want a little "professional" input on current bike). What time of the year/season is the best time to do it? Part of me wants to do it now so that I don't have to make adjustments during the season, but then again, I haven't ridden much in the last few months. Should I go for it? Wait a few months? What to do? What to do?

wasfast
02-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Your size and position on the bike won't be any different now vs later. I say get it done now and then let your body adjust (assuming some changes are made) as part of the early miles when the snow melts.

I had a fit done over Christmas Vacation and have been adapting to the changes over the last month. Well worth an "exam" even for the experienced rider. This all depends of course on who's doing the fitting.

Peter P.
02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Have it done NOW while most bike shops are slow; they'll be able to take the time to be thorough, unless of course they have staff dedicated to the task or they offer after hours appointments. I formulated this advice after discussing this issue with a bike shop owner-there is just too little time during the season.

chrisroph
02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
If you haven't ridden much in the last few months, and are not as limber, strong or light as mid-season, it is possible that you will feel more comfortable with a slightly higher bar position,and a slightly lower and more forward saddle position. This can be easily accomodated by a good fitter. Thus, there is no reason not to get fitted now.

MarleyMon
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
I just had my first prof. fitting done 10 days and it was great! I wanted to make changes to my current set up and also got on the Serotta size cycle. I have the time to do the work myself and try out changes on my trainer. I only wish I could have recorded the whole session, because there was so much info to digest.
Agree that changes due to in increased flex. and fitness will be able to be accomodated. The only downside was that once I let it out that I was considering a new bike, I got a bit more of a sales pitch than I felt was warranted, considering I was paying for a service. Its a fine line, though, because it was informational - in that the fitter could tell me which sizes of a particular model would be a good fit - great for comparison shopping and narrowing the near endless choices. And I got plenty of time & attention.
I was simply amazed at how much info I got - Thanks Frank @ BGI Indy!

Frustration
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Doing it in winter then easily performing base miles to the adjustment is a good idea.